Scott Hogan

Demitri_C

35 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Then why did he sign him? Surely he had a plan to fit Hogan and Kodjia into the same team and for them to be a potent attacking threat. If you were being cynical about Bruce's ability as a manager you might suggest that he signed Hogan because of his goalscoring record and is assuming that he will continue to score goals. The missing link is of course that the player has to fit into your style of play and that strikers need supply to score goals, both points that seem to be lost on Bruce.

After signing  hogan Bruce said in in interview now  he had the perfect frontmen to play 442 - however it's no good having goal scorers if you cannot create chances.

i hope the arrival of whelan will allow us to get more creativity from hourihane and Lansbury and that will reflect in more service to the attackers. 

Edited by Eastie

7 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Then why did he sign him? Surely he had a plan to fit Hogan and Kodjia into the same team and for them to be a potent attacking threat. If you were being cynical about Bruce's ability as a manager you might suggest that he signed Hogan because of his goalscoring record and is assuming that he will continue to score goals. The missing link is of course that the player has to fit into your style of play and that strikers need supply to score goals, both points that seem to be lost on Bruce.

I suppose the theory behind it was sound enough. If you are trying to utilise kodges talents you need someone quick enough to break with him, with an eye for a pass and can score. 

It's definately not working atm, although maybe him working with McCormack suffers the same as when kodge played with him in that hogan/kodge always seem to end up isolated as they break quicker than the others. 

It can still work, it will just need a lot of work, which is really unfortunate this pre season.

13 minutes ago, Eastie said:

After singing hogan Bruce said in in interview now  he had the perfect frontmen to play 442 - however it's no good having goal scorers if you cannot create chances.

i hope the arrival of whelan will allow us to get more creativity from hourihane and Lansbury and that will reflect in more service to the attackers. 

This is where Bruce will come unstuck massivley, barely anyone plays 4-4-2 these days.  He is now desperate to try and make 3-5-2 work so he can have two up top. He is trying way to hard to try and make Hogan fit, everyone else can see we play better under 4-1-2-2-1 with Kodjia down the middle. Sadly for Bruce that means leaving his £14m marquee signing out as he cant play through the middle on his own and he cant play wide.

• Like 1

On 19/07/2017 at 09:31, villa89 said:

I don't mean to pick on you personally here, but this always irritates me. Bruce is a professional football manager, whether you like him or not; the concept of passing the ball to a striker being necessary for the striker to score a goal is not something he doesn't understand. 

'Not being able to do something well' is not the same as 'not understanding what to do'. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I don't mean to pick on you personally here, but this always irritates me. Bruce is a professional football manager, whether you like him or not; the concept of passing the ball to a striker being necessary for the striker to score a goal is not something he doesn't understand. 

'Not being able to do something well' is not the same as 'not understanding what to do'. 

Brilliant....It tickled me the subtle obviousness is hilarious.

On 7/19/2017 at 09:31, villa89 said:

It seems the problem with Scott Hogan is not exclusive to Steve Bruce and Aston villa.....did Liverpool not have the same problem with Benteke in it not working?

Edited by TRO

I think he needs to play more with the ball in front of him and we rarely seem to pass forward these days, well not with any urgency, not excusing his ineptitude but just saying he doesn't seem like a player who will make and score his own chances, as lets face it Kodjia does.

20 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Hogan has a bloody good attitude - we have not seen the best of him yet. 

I still think he will click, now we have a balanced squad.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, TRO said:

It seems the problem with Scott Hogan is not exclusive to Steve Bruce and Aston villa.....did Liverpool not have the same problem with Benteke in it not working?

They did but he was signed by a previous manager not klopp.

Hogan was signed by Bruce surely with a plan on how to use him - for whatever reason it's not happened as yet although injuries haven't helped.

Maybe if he gets a goal or two early in his confidence will lift and he will look decent again - let's hope so .

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TRO said:

Nope, Brendan Rodgers signed Benteke and it was Klopp that got rid of him. Bruce bought Hogan himself.

16 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Nope, Brendan Rodgers signed Benteke and it was Klopp that got rid of him. Bruce bought Hogan himself.

What difference does it make anyway, no-one has a crystal ball and the very best Managers have bought players with the best intentions only to see them not work out for a multitude of reasons.

Just another stick to beat him with though I guess.

The truly hilarious thing is IF he got us promoted this season the majority on here would be bending over backwards to give him oral, those same people complaining, constantly.

11 hours ago, Jareth said:

Hogan has a bloody good attitude - we have not seen the best of him yet. 

This.. 

What I saw of him last year he looked a very intelligent player, made lots of runs.. It's not his fault our midfield lacked the vision or ability to see the runs and make the passes. Movement is an important thing.. He makes runs sometimes maybe not to recieve the ball himself but to drag the defence around making space for others. That shouldn't be underestimated. If the midfield sort themselves out and get thinking a bit, he'll do well this season. 

Edited by richp999

39 minutes ago, richp999 said:

This.. 

What I saw of him last year he looked a very intelligent player, made lots of runs.. It's not his fault our midfield lacked the vision or ability to see the runs and make the passes. Movement is an important thing.. He makes runs sometimes maybe not to recieve the ball himself but to drag the defence around making space for others. That shouldn't be underestimated. If the midfield sort themselves out and get thinking a bit, he'll do well this season. 

To me if he consistently taking up positions but never getting the ball - maybe those runs are so good or intelligent after all. Kjodia gets only the same service and scored 19 - Gabby and even young Keinan Davis look more threatening than Hogan.

I think he needs to lean to stay onside and upright first and foremost. I know he scored 14 for Brentford, but in a villa shirt he has been nothing short of diabolical - unlike some I don't see that changing soon. Not a starter for me.

I was saying in the other thread that he has the ability and makes intelligent runs but i'm afraid that is not enough. He needs to try improve his game, whether that is getting a few touches on the ball at the start, playing some shot passes back to midfield, he just needs to mix it up and impose himself in the game a lot more. 

Gabby is ahead of him in the team at the moment and the word is that Bruce is looking for another striker. I just hope he is able to adapt sooner rather than later.

4 hours ago, villa89 said:

i know ,my point is neither could get anything from him, irrespective who bought him.

Â