Conor Hourihane

dont_do_it_doug.

I like the lad. What i would say is that confidence seems to be a huge factor with Conor. His head seems to drop a bit if he misplaces a few passes, and conversely in the couple of games he has scored he visibly grows in confidence and becomes a totally different player. 

Hopefully as he grows more into the team he will keep a better level of consistency. 

I think he is showing that you need to allow some players time to settle.

He came from a small club with little expectation to one of the biggest fishes in this league with huge expectation. Last season at times he looked like a rabbit in the headlights and didn't seem to want the ball and was hiding. Now he is looking confident and wanting to be involved and really putting himself about.

I think we have a few others who fall into that bracket. Certainly James Bree, who as well as all of the above is only 19, and Scott Hogan who we are yet to see anything like the best of.

• Like 4

I agree with that @markavfc40. Another observation as well as the confidence thing i mentioned above, is that i don't think he is anywhere near as effective when playing deeper. Whilst not the worst tackler in the world, i don't see that a particular strength. There were 1 or instances yesterday when i thought he could have been booked. His strengh is in attack, he looks comfortable and always  eager to shoot. 

For me he looks like a completely different player when in a more advanced role. 

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

It really wasn't. 

Again I like Hourihane and I think he played well yesterday. But the wall for that goal was set up in totally the wrong place.

I honestly think a sunday league player would have had a decent chance of scoring that. 

Yep. It might be because I have faith in Hourihane's ability to punish them for it, but that was in before he took it. I knew it was going in. It just looked like a huge target, at least looking at it from the other end. But you can only score into the net you're given, so I'm happy to praise the hell out of it.

46 minutes ago, ChrisVillan said:

Yep. It might be because I have faith in Hourihane's ability to punish them for it, but that was in before he took it. I knew it was going in. It just looked like a huge target, at least looking at it from the other end. But you can only score into the net you're given, so I'm happy to praise the hell out of it.

Yep. I know from your Twitter that you were sat very close to where I sit. You could see the gap to the left of the wall blatantly.

I was so unsurprised he scored.

He's coming back to the form he was in when we bought him.

Different role he's playing now though due to the 4 prominent attackers we have on the pitch.

Him hanging back not only gives us someone just outside the box but also keeps us reasonably solid when the ball is lost.

I'm sure he will still chip in with goals and assists from his marginally deeper role and the whole team will benefit.

On 9/24/2017 at 13:07, markavfc40 said:

I think he is showing that you need to allow some players time to settle.

He came from a small club with little expectation to one of the biggest fishes in this league with huge expectation. Last season at times he looked like a rabbit in the headlights and didn't seem to want the ball and was hiding. Now he is looking confident and wanting to be involved and really putting himself about.

I think we have a few others who fall into that bracket. Certainly James Bree, who as well as all of the above is only 19, and Scott Hogan who we are yet to see anything like the best of.

I think respectfully, we as fans find it hard to understand.....the settling in bit.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, BigJim said:

NV... I was expecting someone to post a pic of Maradona :D

Ha!  I was tempted to go modern era and put Arjen Robben in there, but then wanted to be Villa-centric and whilst Magic Man was right footed he was so good with it I'm not entirely convinced it's the shape of a normal human foot.  It's like it'd curve in both directions.

7 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

Ha!  I was tempted to go modern era and put Arjen Robben in there, but then wanted to be Villa-centric and whilst Magic Man was right footed he was so good with it I'm not entirely convinced it's the shape of a normal human foot.  It's like it'd curve in both directions.

Arjen Robben. I don't think there's even been a player who manages to score as many of "the same" goals over and over. But he still does it. It is apparently impossible to stop him cutting in on his left foot and shooting. 

Â