Conor Hourihane

dont_do_it_doug.

On 21/08/2017 at 11:26, villabromsgrove said:

I think Bruce gave up on Hourihane because he couldn't convert him into a "Jedinak/Whelan bites yer leg" midfielder. Before Saturday he may well have been happier replacing him with a "Colback" type player.

I agree with this. 

• 3 weeks later...

Much better than Saturday last night. Very unlucky with a couple of shots and is starting to dictate our play. Would still like to see him doing more and looking for more incicive passes.

Thibkn ts harsh he is taken off set pieces for Snodgrass as his delivery is good.

55 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I like him, but there was a number of times last night where he had an obvious through ball on to Davis and he chose to play it wide instead. Frustrating.

I've seen him do this a few times to be honest. I also recall a very poor through ball to Elmo against Bristol (I think it was). Through balls clearly aren't his specialty and it's still something we lack from central midfield.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

I like him, but there was a number of times last night where he had an obvious through ball on to Davis and he chose to play it wide instead. Frustrating.

For me, he strikes the ball very well,and yes tends to hit them out wide or cross them in, depending where he is...... decision making can be a bit suspect, but he doesn't seem to be able to thread those little gems to the strikers like O'Hare can.....tends to make the play a little predictable.....not geared to improvisation, which can open teams up.

good player, but not a complete player for me.

43 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I've seen him do this a few times to be honest. I also recall a very poor through ball to Elmo against Bristol (I think it was). Through balls clearly aren't his specialty and it's still something we lack from central midfield.

Hence, my interest in seeing O'Hare and Doyle Hayes, introduced more......they have quick feet, quick minds and can thread little gems.

Conor, Conor, Conor, Conor, Conor, Hourihane.

Scores lots of goals, scores lots of gooooooals. 

Makes lots of goals, Makes lots of gooooals 

looking forward to seeing him again on Saturday hoping he as a off day at Oakwell for change though. 

1 hour ago, Magic said:

looking forward to seeing him again on Saturday hoping he as a off day at Oakwell for change though. 

He is starting to look dangerous now - doubt bree will start though so you will have to made do with conor.

22 hours ago, Magic said:

He will be the one standing in his own half, for most of the game. Just in front of the other 2, standing within arms reach of our back line.

On 13/09/2017 at 11:02, Stevo985 said:

This might be more to do with game plan than the player I'd say. If Bruce wants us to get it wide and cross it in for Davis as opposed to putting him through 1v1, playing to his strengths, then fair enough. However, if Hourihane is purposefully avoiding these balls, or just not seeing them, that's a worry. 

Something tells me it's game plan to get it wide and cross, as 99% of our attacking play is in wide areas. Or if you're Bjarnason putting it out for a throw or miscontrolling.

• Like 1

Conor isn't good enough for us according to that ex bloser pundit. Complete rubbish. Bruce has only ,minimal times played him to his strengths.

hourihane should have scored if it wasn't for hogan forgetting he wasn't defending for boro.

Hourihane looked furious at hogan. I still have no idea what the hell hogan was doing standing so close to the net. 

3 hours ago, villan-scott said:

This might be more to do with game plan than the player I'd say. If Bruce wants us to get it wide and cross it in for Davis as opposed to putting him through 1v1, playing to his strengths, then fair enough. However, if Hourihane is purposefully avoiding these balls, or just not seeing them, that's a worry. 

Something tells me it's game plan to get it wide and cross, as 99% of our attacking play is in wide areas. Or if you're Bjarnason putting it out for a throw or miscontrolling.

Yeah I did consider that.

But even so, if there's an obvious through ball on, you'd think they'd still play that ball instead of just moving it wide every time.

I do agree that the gameplan vs Boro was to cross it in. We must have put in 100 crosses!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Conor isn't good enough for us according to that ex bloser pundit. Complete rubbish. Bruce has only ,minimal times played him to his strengths.

hourihane should have scored if it wasn't for hogan forgetting he wasn't defending for boro.

Hourihane looked furious at hogan. I still have no idea what the hell hogan was doing standing so close to the net. 

If he had of fell in to the back of the net, we would have scored.;)

• Haha 1

A player needs to use initiative and make decisions based on what's ahead of him. If there's an obvious through ball on then he should have played it. The game plan might have been to get the ball out wide as often as possible, but that doesn't mean it was so rigid that the players can't, under no circumstances, take another option. 

2 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Totally unrecognisable from last season for me. Works incredibly hard, gets tackles in, always offers an option and takes charge when he needs to. A real asset to have. 

Reminded me of Barry today, his work started a lot of attacks, some good quick passing too.

Â