Conor Hourihane

dont_do_it_doug.

2 hours ago, Jareth said:

Always competing, very physical, and then when he gets chance to go forwards he is always dangerous - very good player and I expect bids in January. 

From who? I don't think he is good enough for the Premier League and doubt we will sell to a rival. 

What impressed me about him today was how much ground he covered. He got back to help the defence and got forward well. Had a great effort that went just over the bar. He is becoming such an important player for us.

11 hours ago, omariqy said:

What impressed me about him today was how much ground he covered. He got back to help the defence and got forward well. Had a great effort that went just over the bar. He is becoming such an important player for us.

He can be hit and miss with how much he impacts the game but he's actually a hell of an athlete - tons of stamina and a lot faster than you'd think. Good player to have!

19 hours ago, poitier said:

He played well today, but all of our midfield benefited from the amount of space QPR gave them.

I wonder if following our last league game there were Sheffield Wednesday fans saying yeah Bannan played well but all of their midfield benefited from the amount of space we gave them.

33 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I'm quite surprised at the level of praise, or lack of, that he has received for his performance yesterday. This season generally in fact. I also strongly disagree with the assertion that he is only a notch above average for the division. 

Over last season and this, Championship only - 

53(5) games - 12 goal, 16 assists. 2.1 key passes per game, 9 times MOTM. Those numbers are unreal from a central midfielder, there is no argument to be made otherwise.

According to whoscored.com, when at Barnsley he was the highest rated player in the entire division last season, of all positions. Yes, he struggled in his first few months here and I'm sure he won't be the last but this season he seems to have found his feet again, he has the highest rating (7.29) of anyone in our squad for a team who sit 5th in the league. He has 5 goals, 2 assists and 1.9 key passes per game - https://www.whoscored.com/Players/134172/Show/Conor-Hourihane

On top of that his work rate is phenomenal, he is box to box for the entire 90. Always looking for the ball. Take a look at his heat map from yesterday...

DO7pZSWW4AErNDT.jpg

I mean sure you can tell me you trust your eyes over the stats and that's fair enough, opinions are like arseholes etc etc but it's also intangible, there's actual solid evidence presented above that he is way above average. He is the total package - statistically he is the perfect central midfielder. My eyes tell me he would be able to transfer those skills to the top flight. 

Still blows my mind that there have been numerous times Bacuna was selected over him. 

I think he's a great midfield player and I think he'd do a decent job in the prem

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I'm quite surprised at the level of praise, or lack of, that he has received for his performance yesterday. This season generally in fact. I also strongly disagree with the assertion that he is only a notch above average for the division. 

Over last season and this, Championship only - 

53(5) games - 12 goal, 16 assists. 2.1 key passes per game, 9 times MOTM. Those numbers are unreal from a central midfielder, there is no argument to be made otherwise.

According to whoscored.com, when at Barnsley he was the highest rated player in the entire division last season, of all positions. Yes, he struggled in his first few months here and I'm sure he won't be the last but this season he seems to have found his feet again, he has the highest rating (7.29) of anyone in our squad for a team who sit 5th in the league. He has 5 goals, 2 assists and 1.9 key passes per game - https://www.whoscored.com/Players/134172/Show/Conor-Hourihane

On top of that his work rate is phenomenal, he is box to box for the entire 90. Always looking for the ball. Take a look at his heat map from yesterday...

DO7pZSWW4AErNDT.jpg

I mean sure you can tell me you trust your eyes over the stats and that's fair enough, opinions are like arseholes etc etc but it's also intangible, there's actual solid evidence presented above that he is way above average. He is the total package - statistically he is the perfect central midfielder. My eyes tell me he would be able to transfer those skills to the top flight. 

Fantastic post. Even in our terrible performance against Sheff W, he was our best player.

I think he has improved considerably since he joined us.

its quite feasible to have a changed opinion on Conor, that mirrors his recent performances.

I put it down to time at the club and getting used to his surroundings., i think many if us underestimate this.

he his acquiring a more rounded set of skills, his confidence will be galvanised and we will have a more complete player.

good on you son.:)

• Like 1

I think he is getting a good partnership with Whelan and that helps his game. With Jedinak he had to play too deep to help cover  the lack of energy. Whelan has more energy and takes the midfield to a higher starting point which means Conor can then push even higher and dictate the play. Glad to see him doing well and more like the player we excpexted to see.

9 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Not doing it for me. Looks the weakest link. 

You're entitled to your opinion, but you're wrong. Our form is fantastic and Hourihane is a key part of that. He does exactly what we wanted Westwood to do. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Not doing it for me. Looks the weakest link. 

No big moment for him today but again he was everywhere. At one point he chased back 80 yards to put a tackle in. He won it. 

He linked up the play and didn't put a foot wrong. 

I don't think there is a weak link at the minute but if there is, it isn't Conor. 

Â