Conor Hourihane

dont_do_it_doug.

Great workrate and chases everything which seems to be a dying art in the modern game. Can put himself about for a fella who looks stick thin. His right foot is very weak but look that's not going to improve at this stage but well pleased with him so far.

Edited by Johnnyp
mistake
  • Like 3

Thought he went missing in the last game (except for when he was moved into a more advanced position) and was largely anonymous today. We need someone who's looking for the ball all the time and is going to press his man when we aren't in possession - didn't do much of either today and I'd definitely think about dropping him. 

54 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I was called out earlier this week for criticising him, but I think he has been at very best average. 

I think he could be easily replaced. 

This entire team could be easily replaced. We have no stand out players at all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, poitier said:

He works quite hard and his set pieces are good, but in open play he is decidedly average, even at this level.

Basically this. He is not good enough on the ball in terms of playing through balls, bottom line is we still lack the quality we need in central midfield. We need a playmaker, Hourihane isn't that.

• Like 1

When he bagged his hat-trick earlier this season he spoke about how having Davis up top to hold the ball up for him was just what he wanted. Playing alongside Whelan in front in the back four doesn't give him chance to show the best part of his game. He needs to be furthest forward in a midfield three. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, villarocker said:

When he bagged his hat-trick earlier this season he spoke about how having Davis up top to hold the ball up for him was just what he wanted. Playing alongside Whelan in front in the back four doesn't give him chance to show the best part of his game. He needs to be furthest forward in a midfield three. 

You may have a point, because Snodgrass and Adomah were poor today, albeit snodgrass shouldn't have been playing due to injury.

when the 2 wide men go missing or offer very little, it leaves the middle 2 too much to do.

7 hours ago, poitier said:

He works quite hard and his set pieces are good, but in open play he is decidedly average, even at this level.

He needs more of a free role, the Onomah role for example. would have been better playing him behind Davis with Whelan paired with Jedinak or Lansbury in midfield

11 hours ago, Zatman said:

He needs more of a free role, the Onomah role for example. would have been better playing him behind Davis with Whelan paired with Jedinak or Lansbury in midfield

This . Hourihane and omomah should swap roles with onamah deeper and hourihane further upfield - they are both better in those positions 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, drat01 said:

Meh . Not helped by the awful whelan, but rarely influences games 

You mean the guy who does all the work for him and passes him the ball routinely? 

Give over. 

Hourihane is interesting - he came here with the reputation of being the man with the assists and the set plays - a creator, purveyor of pass-and-move and someone who would be a real force coming forward with the ball for us - what we've got isn't that and it's taken me (and I think others) a while to adjust. He's played deep all season, and he's become a very good holding midfielder who can take a set piece, he's working hard, defending well and playing the ball simply. He's becoming very good at that and whilst it's slightly disappointing that we don't have the player I thought we were buying, he's actually playing very well and will be an asset playing behind that player - hopefully once Grealish is fit, Hourihane and Whelan behind him could be a very nice balance.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Â