Conor Hourihane

dont_do_it_doug.

December 30th, mark my words, this thread is going to be getting bumped again with people calling for him to start a game again. Something about goals and assists, maybe even something about win record in there. The cycle repeats.

• Haha 2

I purposely looked out for him today as it’s very easy to forget he’s on the pitch and have no idea what he’s done all game.

And my conclusion is I don’t think you’ll find another midfielder who offers himself off the ball as little as this guy. He makes a simple pass and then runs forward and just kind of stands in the mass of West Ham players and that’s it, no real attempt to find space and I’d forget about him again until time has passed and I have the thought “I wonder what Hourihane’s doing” and the cycle repeated.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

December 30th, mark my words, this thread is going to be getting bumped again with people calling for him to start a game again. Something about goals and assists, maybe even something about win record in there. The cycle repeats.

Only thing I'd say to that is it's not like him starting dragged our level down, if anything we played just as well if not better than at Arsenal but simply couldn't finish at the key moments.

At this moment I can live with a squad player coming in and giving mediocre performane in a game where we played well and should've won. Bit different to him starting at Leicester and being terrible with everyone else in 4-0 loss.

With the way we're defending set pieces and crosses currently case could be made for Hause starting but then you lose plenty of ability to build from back given how bad he is in possesion.

One of his better games in the last 12 months and he was still shit.

Seems to have a turned 39 at the age of 29. Can't move.

Absolutely garbage. These are the games where he's getting time on the ball as well. 

I think I'd still start him v Newcastle, because he's utterly unusable until probably Palace on boxing day.

5 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Only thing I'd say to that is it's not like him starting dragged our level down, if anything we played just as well if not better than at Arsenal but simply couldn't finish at the key moments.

At this moment I can live with a squad player coming in and giving mediocre performane in a game where we played well and should've won. Bit different to him starting at Leicester and being terrible with everyone else in 4-0 loss.

With the way we're defending set pieces and crosses currently case could be made for Hause starting but then you lose plenty of ability to build from back given how bad he is in possesion.

I'm pretty sure it was against Stoke that I saw Hause passing it to their players from the edge of our box under absolutely no pressure. He isn't a Premier League centre-back, though I will grant that he is a statistical freak at winning headers.

Hourihane - decent set pieces, forgettable the rest, but he's not the reason we lost.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Tomaszk said:

I honestly thought he was really good in our first couple of games, and thought it was harsh to drop him. Utterly hopeless tonight though. Definitely an area to strengthen. 

3 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Seems to have a turned 39 at the age of 29. Can't move.

Absolutely garbage. These are the games where he's getting time on the ball as well. 

I think I'd still start him v Newcastle, because he's utterly unusable until probably Palace on boxing day.

He was really good in the Newcastle home game last year, aside from his free kick. Probably helps Newcastle are one of the few prem teams for whom pressing in midfield for Bruce is still one of those strange foreign concepts and they don't do it at all so Conor has plenty of time on the ball.

Get the feeling though we'll start as we finished tonight. Jack in number 10 position and two wide players either side.

2 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Would rather play Ramsey and take the hits should we lose.

Get rid. Cash in. Be smart for once 

I completely agree with this but I’m not sure there’s much to cash in. I don’t see who’s going to offer us much at all for Hourihane.

I’d sell him but rather than cashing in I’d be calling it take whatever we can get. We’re going to need a central midfielder in January in order to sell him though as our squad is paper thin.

I can't imagine anyone making a case to start CH again after that display.  It was like we were playing with 10 men and a pole in the middle of the park.

I would start Ramsey as, even if he is not yet ready, he has got to be better than CH!  And it also means that SJM doesn't need to push into the "10" role and can sit a bit deeper.  I can't understand why DS doesn't see this.  😡

PL is a step too much for conor. You can seem the quality isnt there for this level. He only really has set pieces in his locker. He is slow and if you compare him to barkley its actually embarrassing how much better barkley is

Â