Conor Hourihane

dont_do_it_doug.

10 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

He really doesn't. 14th for attempted tackles. 16th for successful tackles. 15th for interceptions. ( average per game, minimum 5 appearances) is disgusting for a central midfielder and really shows up that he hides from responsibility

Is that in our squad? Or in the PL?

Yesterday again showed why he doesn't usually get selected against the better teams where we normally see less of the ball.

I watched Conor many a times for Barnsley (I get it was in the lower league's) and he was never afraid to get stuck in and put himself about a bit, but I've barely seen him do that at all for Villa in his time here.

That was the worst thing for me yesterday, not just Conor but the whole team, where was the fight, the aggression, the tackling... absolutely none of it, dreadful.

I think it's becoming clear that he just can't make the step up required. I'd keep him, because we know he can be effective in the Championship, but if we somehow finish 17th he would probably be a good candidate for moving on.

A shame really, because I quite like him as a player, but his struggles are obvious at this level. He's starting to remind me of Seb Larsson, another midfielder who could hit a dead ball and score a good goal, and who you often wondered why he didn't start more games, but yet every midfield he played in was torn apart regularly. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

I like Conor, but yesterday he was pants.  I think a bit of it was having 3 in midfield against 4/5 man city midfielders, who are the best midfield in Europe and then he made a couple of bad passes early on and he gets pissed at himself and is reluctant to show for it again.  He's quite demanding on himself and when it's not going well for him, rather than keep going, it affects him mentally. 

He was in no way effective yesterday, but only El Ghazi really deserved any credit from yesterday (he kept chasing and trying). 

The system was wrong, we sat too deep, worried about Mahrez getting in behind (he didn't need to in the end).  We should have matched their numbers in midfield which would have let us support el Ghazi better, but Taylor and Elmo were ineffective because they were so deep, they had no wingers to pass to down the line.  The midfield 3 just got over run constantly and Man City had their wing backs in acres of space as an easy out ball all game. 

Nothing worked yesterday. 

we said that against Leicester at home and Southampton and Watford....we struggle against Sheff UTD Too, every time we play them, they are prepared to work harder than us, despite us having arguably the better team technically.

I think its fairly clear, we have too many players the same, no variation in type......too many want time and space and not prepared to scrap for anything and get easily dispossessed.

It has to change.

Edited by TRO

Just now, TRO said:

we said that against Leicester at home and Southampton and Watford....we struggle against Sheff UTD Too.

I think its fairly clear, we have too many players the same, no variation in type......too many want time and space and not prepared to scrap for anything and get easily dispossessed.

It has to change.

It does, but it won't with the current personnel. 

4 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

It does, but it won't with the current personnel. 

No it won't......but I am not convinced it will, when we buy new players.....I think there is a blind spot, with those charged with recruitment.

Dean has already said we lack physical contact, so it must be others buying the wrong players.

Edited by TRO

In a league renowned for pace and physicality we are completely lacking. We've got quick centre backs, Guilbert and El Ghazi. Physicality wise we have Wes and our centre backs. McGinn is all action and uses his body well. Literally everyone else is a bit of a nothing player (Jack excluding). Trez can look quick at times but then looks leggy at others. The big issues is midfield. We hardly make a tackle, we just shadow. It's unacceptable really.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, omariqy said:

In a league renowned for pace and physicality we are completely lacking. We've got quick centre backs, Guilbert and El Ghazi. Physicality wise we have Wes and our centre backs. McGinn is all action and uses his body well. Literally everyone else is a bit of a nothing player (Jack excluding). Trez can look quick at times but then looks leggy at others. The big issues is midfield. We hardly make a tackle, we just shadow. It's unacceptable really.

Well said

Hourihane's new role should be 10 mins before  the end sub. just in case we get any late free kicks.

he came on and did  a job yesturday. That tactical foul right at the end was right out of the Sebastien Chabal text book

snuffed out a certain breakaway and is what has been missing from our play all season. Man utd's James should of done the same thing today. soft lad.

4 hours ago, screwdriver said:

Hourihane's new role should be 10 mins before  the end sub. just in case we get any late free kicks.

he came on and did  a job yesturday. That tactical foul right at the end was right out of the Sebastien Chabal text book

snuffed out a certain breakaway and is what has been missing from our play all season. Man utd's James should of done the same thing today. soft lad.

James would have got a straight red.

It's alright scoring or assisting one from set plays but when your overall game is contributing to teams having multiple chances per game, is it worth it? There are plenty of people who don't even play semi-pro who can whip in corners and free-kicks with ridiculous consistency. His game outside of set-pieces is miles off from Prem standard and I say that as someone with a soft spot for the guy. Most professional footballers should be able to whip a ball into an area with pace. Most probably can but never get to show it as the same few always take set-pieces. I only ever got a game in kids footy because I could plonk corners on the heads of our lumps. I'd gass after running 5 seconds straight and was a fanny overall. 

5 minutes ago, Wezbid said:

It's alright scoring or assisting one from set plays but when your overall game is contributing to teams having multiple chances per game, is it worth it? There are plenty of people who don't even play semi-pro who can whip in corners and free-kicks with ridiculous consistency. His game outside of set-pieces is miles off from Prem standard and I say that as someone with a soft spot for the guy. Most professional footballers should be able to whip a ball into an area with pace. Most probably can but never get to show it as the same few always take set-pieces. I only ever got a game in kids footy because I could plonk corners on the heads of our lumps. I'd gass after running 5 seconds straight and was a fanny overall. 

Been saying it isn't worth it all season, but people have been blinded by the odd goal or assist. I remember the consensus being he should start ahead of Douglas because he might score or assist. He literally doesn't do anything else apart from that, he's so off the pace in the PL it hurts.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lexicon said:

It's like he has a fear of failure that is stopping him from trying, but he doesn't understand that not trying has the same result as failing. 

I really wanted to believe in him but those squad stats I stumbled upon 9 tackles all season etc makes me understand why he's always been a bit part player in weakest Irish team in my memory... I'm 43

• 3 weeks later...
Â