Conor Hourihane

dont_do_it_doug.

10 hours ago, tinker said:

He's pissed off about not starting games and hes not shy about letting Dean know it

Tbh should be starting certain games , his strengths far outweigh his weaknesses.  

If Dean is suggesting he is not appropriate in certain games and I get that .....but He wants to put his specs on, because those wingers surely fall in to the same category.

If Conor can't get in and those wasters do.......something isn't right.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, New_Hope said:

It's just such a shame that he goes AWOL against the better teams. (Cue the 'So does everyone retort')

I like him. I like his spirit and the Irish connection and I want him to do well for us but he does go missing like a lot recently. 

Edited by Kiwivillan

He needs to be a bench option IMO. If we see that we're not getting overrun in midfield and need a goal, he's good to put on. If we start him and we get overrun, he's going to do more harm than good. It makes sense to be able to get the measure of the game before we deploy him as he really can be a liability if the going is tough. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, lexicon said:

He needs to be a bench option IMO. If we see that we're not getting overrun in midfield and need a goal, he's good to put on. If we start him and we get overrun, he's going to do more harm than good. It makes sense to be able to get the measure of the game before we deploy him as he really can be a liability if the going is tough. 

That is right....but.

There is also a bunch more who are a liability, when the going gets tough.

fortunately for him, he is one of the few who can pass and move around the box and score goals.....so if there is ever a modicum of mitigation that is dished out for accomodation in the team....He should get it....He is a weapon,I don't think we can afford to leave out right now.

ps but he does seem to be more fired up when he comes off the bench.

Edited by TRO

1 minute ago, TRO said:

That is right....but.

There is also a bunch more who are a liability, when the going gets tough.

fortunately for him, he is one of the few who can pass and move around the box and score goals.....so if there is ever a modicum of mitigation that is dished out for accomodation in the team....He should get it.

but he does seem to be more fired up when he comes off the bench.

I think if he's going anywhere, it needs to be in an attacking role where we don't need to rely on him defensively. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, lexicon said:

I think if he's going anywhere, it needs to be in an attacking role where we don't need to rely on him defensively. 

Thats right.

However, thats if the theory is attackers don't defend......I was always brought up that you defend from the front?...there lies another one of our problems.

1 minute ago, TRO said:

Thats right.

However, thats if the theory is attackers don't defend......I was always brought up that you defend from the front?...there lies another one of our problems.

It's not about attackers, it's about him, TRO - Hourihane almost never puts in a defensive shift. If you combined Trezeguet's work ethic with Hourihane, you'd have a bloody good player on your hands. 

3 minutes ago, Farlz said:

He shouldn't be anything more than an impact sub. 

That is what he should be, however, we are in no position to not be playing Hourihane as our other central midfield options are awful, our wingers are garbage and we don’t have a striker who likes to score goals. 

He has to start for me.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, lexicon said:

It's not about attackers, it's about him, TRO - Hourihane almost never puts in a defensive shift. If you combined Trezeguet's work ethic with Hourihane, you'd have a bloody good player on your hands. 

I'm not convinced by either of the wingers....

I know his defensive side is poor.......thats the problem, we have too many players for all sorts of reasons that are ok at some things and poor at others.

Thats where I think Wilder is cute......He plays this high tempo workman like style that masks some of his players individual shortfalls ....it just all blends in to the TEAM ethic.

1 hour ago, lexicon said:

I think Trezeguet is a myth.....one of these players who is always better, when he is not playing....but still more life in him than El Ghazi.

• They told me he had pace......what pace?
  • He works hard?in comparison to ElGhazi yes.....but that's hardly worth writing home about.

He can't beat his man or cross the ball ( or if he does, once in a blue Moon).......thats not a winger.

I never left the ground drooling over Trez's Work Rate, I think its a claim to soften the blow of buying a player that looks like a dud or an overpriced player.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, TRO said:

If Dean is suggesting he is not appropriate in certain games and I get that .....but He wants to put his specs on, because those wingers surely fall in to the same category.

If Conor can't get in and those wasters do.......something isn't right.

Difference is we don't have other options for the wings.

1 hour ago, Tom13 said:

why play 2 wasters? er sorry Wingers.....play one then.

whats wrong with 1 winger switching wings when it suits, like Morley used to do......Ray graydon scored c 20 goals mainly sticking to the back post, one season......thats wingers.

Edited by TRO

Agreed. A good manager should change the system to suit the players we've got, not keep playing the same non-performers in the same position out of what seems to be a misplaced faith in "the system". 

We don't have a single winger at this club that has shown they have what it takes to perform at this level We certainly shouldn't be persisting with having 2 of them on at any time. 

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Agreed. A good manager should change the system to suit the players we've got, not keep playing the same non-performers in the same position out of what seems to be a misplaced faith in "the system". 

We don't have a single winger at this club that has shown they have what it takes to perform at this level We certainly shouldn't be persisting with having 2 of them on at any time. 

I couldn't agree with you more....If he can't see the woeful performance of El Ghazi, I am staggered, just trotting around like a "horse in Dressage"

If he can't see that, I am dumbfounded.

20 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

• El ghazi
  • Trez
  • Jota

we only need one.....full backs can bomb on too.

We have 4 players on the flanks, nearly half the team....doing what exactly?

Â