Conor Hourihane

dont_do_it_doug.

6 minutes ago, useless said:

I was saying to start him before the game, we didn't and we lost. I was also saying to start him and switch Grealish to one of the wide positions before the Norwich and Brighton games, we did, won both games with Hourihane getting a goal and an assist, having a goal unfairly ruled out and winning a penalty, and Grealish winning rave reviews in his new position. Of course we may still have lost with Hourihane starting, but I don't think we should have changed a winning side, it's not even as if Hourihane was dropped for someone with vastly superior defensive skills to him in order combat City's attacking powers. When he's on the pitch it always feels more likely that we're going to score, even if we'd have just got one yesterday to help out with our goal difference it would have made a difference. For me he's one of our most important players in the attacking half perhaps behind only Grealish and McGinn, the sooner we realise that the better.

As a counter argument.

Look how many shots we concede with him in the team. Norwich 21 shots, Brighton 20 shots (With 10 men)

Luiz brings us more steel.

• Like 1

We could have played Hourihane, Luiz or the ghost of József Bozsik and it wouldn't have made any difference yesterday.

Luiz played a really good game and it was right to start him.

• Like 3

On 27/10/2019 at 00:47, Tomaszk said:

No chance. Not when it's hard. That's when Hourihane disappears. He's proven it enough times now.

Maybe he could play in a home match where we might have more of a go, not away.

Normally I'd agree with you but McGinn has been off the boil for a couple of games now.

2 hours ago, AV82 said:

Normally I'd agree with you but McGinn has been off the boil for a couple of games now.

Two games off the boil (one of which city away) does not mean Hourihane can be compared to McGinn who has stood out alone so many times.

There's a huge gap between them and they have their roles in the squad.

Hourihane's is to play when we're on top and either score or assist. If he doesn't manage to get involved in a goal, there's very little else he does.

On 27/10/2019 at 09:40, sne said:

We could have played Hourihane, Luiz or the ghost of József Bozsik and it wouldn't have made any difference yesterday.

Luiz played a really good game and it was right to start him.

Its hard to leave a player out who can play well away at Man City.

We talk about players learning and getting better.....Luiz looks a prime candidate for that claim.....we must play him.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, TRO said:

Its hard to leave a player out who can play well away at Man City.

We talk about players learning and getting better.....Luiz looks a prime candidate for that claim.....we must play him.

Think going forward a midfield 3 of Luiz, McGinn and Marvelous, flanked by Grealish and whoever is deemed in form on the day out of Trez or Anwar is our best bet.

That said Hourihane brings goals, assists and quality from set pieces so it's not and obvious choice. 

Should start for Jack whilst he's out, in that forward left position. Keep a consistent midfield with Luiz, Marvelous and McGinn. Not keen on having Trez and AEG both starting I prefer one of them available to come on as fresh legs. 

14 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Weirdly, everyone in our team have been awful this season at these 

I think it's just that we're not getting anywhere near as many free kicks in dangerous areas as we did last year.

No excuse for the quality of corners so far.

• Like 1

The combination of Neil Taylor playing and the 10 men behind the ball tactics of Wolves nullified his effectiveness in my opinion. He was forced to run into the channels on the left to offer an option for Taylor as everyone on the pitch knew Taylor wasn’t going to exploit any space on the left, and I think that pulled him away from the edge of the area where he’s most dangerous. Whenever he did receive it from Taylor there was just a wall of Wolves defenders blocking any cross.

48 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Really didn't do much to affect the game. I want Luiz to start in his place going forward.

He played a lovely through ball to put Trezeguet in on goal but I take your point. He's a funny player because if he isn't scoring/assisting he looks like a passenger. Thing is he tends to score/assist quite a lot and actually in general effects games pretty positively in that sense, pretty often. 

Without a doubt Luiz is the better overall player but you can't knock Conor he makes himself difficult to leave out and that's all credit to him. 

9 minutes ago, villaglint said:

He played a lovely through ball to put Trezeguet in on goal but I take your point. He's a funny player because if he isn't scoring/assisting he looks like a passenger. Thing is he tends to score/assist quite a lot and actually in general effects games pretty positively in that sense, pretty often. 

Without a doubt Luiz is the better overall player but you can't knock Conor he makes himself difficult to leave out and that's all credit to him. 

Conor is a great player for us to have but I'm just not convinced he's a nailed on starter, Luiz is more well rounded for me. Conor coming off the bench and filling in either every now and then or when it's required tactically is the optimal way to use him IMO.

Â