Graham Taylor

Eastie

25 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

I'd pay a lot of money for that away shirt in good condition. I've wanted it for decades.

You don't often see it about. I don't think I've seen many on eBay either but yes I'd pay more than the going rate.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

SGT - Talking about the wider community and how a football club fits into that. What a great man.

kind of makes me feel sad as theres a couple of the players there who are no longer with us too.

another loss to the football world, has been one of my favourite villa managers, certainly a character, I was hoping villa and wolves were going to do a minutes silence the other day for him, but a minutes applause is just as good and just as thankful to him.

on all my football manager games ive tried to sign him as my assistant manager, but a lot of the time hes played hardball, typical!

7 hours ago, Eastie said:

Fitting tribute ( pasted from official website )

Aston Villa Football Club will pay its respects to Graham Taylor this weekend at Villa Park when we host Preston North End.

Graham enjoyed two spells as manager at the club between 1987-90 and 2002-03 – the highlights being when we won promotion back to the old First Division in 1987/88 and finished second in the top-flight in 1989/90.

Graham’s wife Rita has confirmed the family will attend as special guests of the club and we’re inviting former players who played under Graham to attend the match and be positioned pitchside for the minute’s applause, which will take place before kick-off.

Steve Staunton, who was last captain to play under Graham, will lay a wreath on the centre circle after both teams have emerged from the tunnel.

A special matchday programme will also pay tribute to Graham, including memories from former players and staff who worked with him at the club.

https://www.avfc.co.uk/

This is a nice and much deserved tribute by the club.

It will be emotional but it is a nice way, and the best way us fans, can give him a send off and pay our respects. I'd urge everyone who can to attend even if you aren't happy with what is happening on the pitch at the moment.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

I haven't posted in this thread yet but I thought I'd give my twopence for what it's worth. I'm too young to remember his first spell in charge of the football club, I wasn't even born then.

I do remember his second spell vaguely now, I was only 11 years old, he always struck me as a great football man with great values and opinions on the game. It's a shame that he didn't repeat the heroics of first spell in charge in his second spell but he'll always be fondly remembered by me. 

Whenever he gave interviews or was a pundit on TV, he always gave insightful opinions. He was a great football man who I will always remember fondly.

• Like 1

Â