Graham Taylor

Eastie

Those few days over Christmas 1989, where we beat Man United and Arsenal in front of a jam packed Villa Park, were when I truly fell in love with the Villa. I was 9 years old at the time. We can't have had too many better weeks since then and that was 27 years ago!

Great times.

• Like 4

Is it just me or does anyone else feel a little pang of competitiveness that Watford claim him as one theirs. Which he is of course! What he did there was unbelievable.

I just like to think of him as just ours.. Silly I know.

Says a lot about the man that he is so revered by several clubs. 

Edited by One For The Road
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Xela said:

The comments made by GT a the beginning could have been said about Villa in the last couple of years! 

I absolutely LOVED that half striped kit (by Henson I think it was) and I still do. I would pay loads of money to get hold of one of those shirts. 

Still feel shit about this today - I've been thinking about SGT and consequently felt like he has been with me all day if that makes any sense.

His character really was a shining example and it is the little things that matter not all the the other BS. Wish I could be there at the game tomorrow.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

I absolutely LOVED that half striped kit (by Henson I think it was) and I still do. I would pay loads of money to get hold of one of those shirts. 

Still feel shit about this today - I've been thinking about SGT and consequently felt like he has been with me all day if that makes any sense.

His character really was a shining example and it is the little things that matter not all the the other BS. Wish I could be there at the game tomorrow.

Hummel wasn't it? One of my all time favourites. They go for silly money on eBay.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

As Ruge says, it was by Hummel. I have the home and away kit still. Bit small for me now, I was 10 at the time! :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GrassyNoel said:

Haven't read anything from Dwight Yorke yet. Does anyone have anything?

Or Platty? Unless I have missed it. 

Just now, Xela said:

As Ruge says, it was by Hummel. I have the home and away kit still. Bit small for me now, I was 10 at the time! :D

The away kit from that year was another beauty. We had some great kits in the 80s and 90s. 

Anyway back OT. I think mr Taylor will get a real good send off from the villa and wolves today. 

1 hour ago, trekka said:

Sorry if already posted.  This is a lovely radio session with Graham and Paul McGrath.  

Newstalk From the Vault Podcast

Thanks for posting - that's a great listen if anyone has the time.

Sir GT talking about the  3 - 4 - 3 system he used in the season we were runners up to Liverpool.

People think Conte is amazing at Chelsea but he's just copying what SGT did in the early 90's. :D

• Like 2

6 hours ago, GrassyNoel said:

Haven't read anything from Dwight Yorke yet. Does anyone have anything?

I wouldn't expect anything from Dwight anyway.

Horrible little man

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KHV said:

I wouldn't expect anything from Dwight anyway.

Horrible little man

It was graham who took him from the beach and gave him the career he went on to have in this country - Dwight owes him more than most .

not heard anything from David platt either who also owes Graham a huge amount for the career he had .

Edited by Eastie

Just now, Eastie said:

It was graham who took him from the beach and gave him the career he went on to have in this country - Dwight owes him more than most .

Dwight doesn't even acknowledge his own son, so I doubt very much he will acknowledge Graham Taylor.

Dwight was a cracking player but he really is a horrible person.

• Like 1

To be fair to Yorkie he called Taylor up on the way to The Nou Camp for the 1998 European Cup Final to thank him for the chance he gave him. He obviously realises what he did for him.  Might have spoke directly to Graham's family instead of the need to go on Twitter.

• Like 2

On 14/01/2017 at 17:39, momo said:

So nobody on VT got a call from Yorke and Platt... Get a grip. RIP Graham Taylor. I am sure his players are thankful for what he did for them and let his family know.

Hopefully. But a public tribute goes a long way. GT certainly deserved it. 

Martin Keown on Football Focus:

"Graham Taylor rescued Aston Villa and probably my career too. The first day he wandered in, with a difficult chairman, he said he had chosen to come to the club. He had a clear vision and told us how we were going to function. I learnt a lot under him. He got Villa back into the First Division. Eleven players came in and 11 went out. The celebrations when we went up after beating Swindon will live long in the memory. He has left his mark and was a great man to work under."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38624294

Â