Graham Taylor

Eastie

19 hours ago, Eastie said:

Truly believe he would have built a great dynasty at villa had the  England job not taken him away .

My thoughts exactly and truly a very sad loss for anyone connected to the Villa.

In my neck of the woods there's a saying that the good always go first. RIP.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Taylor was my first hero, the man more than anyone who cemented my love for the club and the game and who signed the very best players I've seen in our colours in 30 odd years.

He'll be missed.

I am not going to quote it all mate but this was a lovely post.

This line though about him being your first hero struck a real chord with me. I think being so young when we won the league and European Cup ( I was 7 in 1981) then Graham Taylor was probably my first real hero alongside McGrath and Cowans who of course he signed.

In terms of managers he has been the only one I have ever idolised. Not just for what he did here in turning us around but because he was simply a nice man. He desperately wanted to make us as fans happy and went out of his way to make a very real human connection with us. He understood that football was about way more than what happened on the pitch for 90 minutes once a week something you don’t see now as 99% of those within football at the highest levels just don’t get it.

Looking back now the worst thing that happened to us as a club in my time following us wasn’t last season. It was Graham Taylor leaving in 1990. He could have been our Alex Ferguson had he stayed. Maybe that is being greedy though and I should just be thankful he was also the best thing that happened to this club during my time.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 4

Desperately sad news, especially to Villa fans of a certain age who were there supporting Villa during his reign. I'll never forget how he brought back pride to our club and made us one of the best teams in the land again. This is the man who gave us Platt, Yorke and McGrath for goodness sake!

More important though was the fact that Graham Taylor was a gentleman and I'm proud that he will forever be associated with my football club. Rest in peace, Graham, and thankyou. 

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Xela said:

Absolutely gutted

The first Villa manager I remember and still the best. What he did in his first spell here was astonishing. Took over a wreck of a club and got us promoted at the first attempt after a poor start. First season back in the top flight was a season of consolidation (but we put 13 past small heath in 3 cup games!) and in his third season we nearly won the league. We were the best team in the country for a long spell that season and was only inexperience and a lack of a goalscorer which cost us. McInally had been sold to Bayern Munich in pre season and we went into the season with Ian Olney (youth striker) up front before Cascarino was purchased with 10 games to go (rumours are he wanted Sheringham but Doug wouldn't pay the fee). We lost to a Liverpool team packed with stars like Barnes Beardsley, Aldridge, Houghton, McMahon and a returning Ian Rush. Our team was a rag tag bunch of discarded older players (Paul McGrath, Derek Mountfield), canny lower division signings (Stuart Gray, Chrissy Price, David Platt, Ian Ormondroyd) and youth (Ian Olney, Tony Daley). GT purchased all of them and also a young lad from Trinidad and Tobago called Dwight Yorke who he spotted on a beach! 

We spoke about club legends recently and I mentioned the 3 players who are the best I have ever seen down the club - all three were purchased by GT. Platt, McGrath and Yorke. Plus he brought Cowans back home from Bari. The vast majority of his signings worked out well. Am I right in thinking he purchased Rambo McInally as well? What an eye for a player! 

He was an absolute legend for what he did here between 1987 and 1990 and he's up there in my eyes with the likes of Ron Saunders, Eric Houghton, Jonny Dixon, George Ramsey, William McGregor and the other giants in our wonderful clubs folklore. 

What is staggering is that it won't just be us Villa fans dishing out plaudits like this. If anything his achievement at Watford was even greater! - fourth division to the first in five seasons and runners up in the league and FA Cup. At Watford! GT is a legend for 2 clubs and there aren't many people who that could be said about.

RIP Graham. You made me love Aston Villa and football when I was a snotty nosed kid on an Erdington estate and I will always love you for that.

:(

graham_taylor_tw.jpg?itok=abL6Qv6b

I love this post! Absolutely spot on Xela mate :thumb:

• Like 2

That Elton John interview, from a few pages back, just shows what a great man Graham Taylor was. For a club chairman to talk like that about the man who took his club to its highest heights and then want to leave is testament to Graham for how hard he worked and the fantastic job he did at Watford. On top of that, Elton John actually predicts that Graham would make Villa a top club again and how right he was. It's such a shame that we had such a crap owner at the time!

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

@NurembergVillan Thanks for posting that mate. So many stories like this coming out. How blessed were we to have this man associated with our club.

It's reminding me of when George Michael died a couple of weeks ago.  Everyone thought they knew about him, and then everyone learned a whole lot more behind the picture painted in the media.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

It's reminding me of when George Michael died a couple of weeks ago.  Everyone thought they knew about him, and then everyone learned a whole lot more behind the picture painted in the media.

Yes I was thinking that as well. The best people don’t do things for the publicity though (in the case of George Michael I read that he would specifically ask that any donation he made was not made public whilst he was alive)  These people do nice things simply because they are genuinely good people.

• Like 2

Not feeling any better today. As someone who started going down the Villa in 1988 as a young lad, this hurts (as it does us all). So glad to be a part of the VT community at a time like this. The incredible stories of the great man on this thread, from so many posters , are really uplifting and I can't wait to get to Wolves tomorrow to belt out Graham Taylor's Claret And Blue Army for 90 minutes.

Edited by One For The Road
  • Like 2

Just now, One For The Road said:

Not feeling any better today. As someone who started going down the Villa in 1988 as a young lad, this hurts. So glad to be a part of the VT community at a time like this. The incredible stories of the great man on this thread, from so many posters , are really uplifting and I can't wait to get to Wolves tomorrow to belt out Graham Taylor's Claret And Blue Army for 90 minutes.

Do me a favour, give it some from me will you. 86 was my first season.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Xela said:

Some great memories of GT's Villa here

26/12/89 - Villa 3 Man Utd 0 (this was the closest Fergie came to getting sacked I believe)

30/12/89 - Villa 2 Arsenal 1 (The Gunners were defending champions and had such a strong team with the likes of Smith, Merse, Adams, O'Leary, Rocastle)

01/01/90 - Chelsea 0 Villa 3 

What a week! 

Below are the goals from the first 2 games. The Holte End in all its glory, the wonderful Trinity Road stand still standing and the emergence of Platt as a world class player. Good times and great memories. 

Daley down the right in full flight just gave me goosebumps again for the first time in years! What a first touch by Platt for the Arsenal goal?! Cowans, God. Great times. If HDE wasn't such an enormous cockwomble and we had got Sheringham instead of Cascarino we would have been Champions. ven as runners up a decent owner would have had us established top 4 throughout the 90s with that to build on, but not for the first or last time HDE couldn't see the wood for the trees.

The fact GT got us to that level after HDE's complete demolition of the EC winning team is a staggering acheivement in such a short space of time. I'm not even sure it would be possible now to be honest.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

Not feeling any better today. As someone who started going down the Villa in 1988 as a young lad, this hurts. So glad to be a part of the VT community at a time like this. The incredible stories of the great man on this thread, from so many posters , are really uplifting and I can't wait to get to Wolves tomorrow to belt out Graham Taylor's Claret And Blue Army for 90 minutes.

My first season was in was in 84, my favourite years were 88 and 90 and I will remember Everton Away as one of my best Villa experiences! I personally met the man and he was polite and friendly and took the time to encourage my 7 year old at the start of a fun run near the Bull Ring about 10 years ago.

Some people have an aura about them and he was one of them!

I, also cant wait to get to Molineux a sign that famous song again.

RIP Graham Taylor - Villa Legend

• Like 2

Â