Graham Taylor

Eastie

A 2015 interview about the abuse he suffered due to being England manager

:(

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p04p8l7z

Graham Taylor: Media treated me like dirt after England job

Speaking in 2015, Graham Taylor reveals how his treatment by the media after England failed to qualify for the 1994 World Cup affected him.

The son of a sports journalist, he said he understood the famous headline after England's exit from Euro '92: Swedes 2 Turnips 1.

However, Taylor, who died on Thursday, told Jeremy Vine failing to qualify for the 1994 World Cup gave members of the media opportunity to treat him "like dirt".

This clip was first broadcast on 5 live Sport, Thursday 12 January 2017.

Edited by Xela

He said when he became Watford Manager that you cant just buy your way out of trouble, that's not the way to manage. He was also on 60k a year when manager first time around at villa. How times have changed! mind you it was only £3.50 to get in the Holte end then.

Edited by PaulC

18 minutes ago, PaulC said:

He said when he became Watford Manager that you cant just buy your way out of trouble, that's not the way to manage. He was also on 60k a year when manager first time around at villa. How times have changed! mind you it was only £3.50 to get in the Holte end then.

£1.50 for under 16's :)

26 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

@briny_ear cheers for posting that mate. My all time favourite players tribute to my all time favourite manager.

It was a masterstroke for Taylor to bring him back for a second spell. So characteristic of the clever way he managed the team at that time.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

It was quite remarkable what he did in that first spell really. He brought players into the club and they just fitted together perfectly. Cowans and Platt had an almost telepathic understanding, McGrath, Nielsen and Mountfield up there with the best centre back partnerships we have ever had. But around the bits of class like Cownas, Platt, McGrath and Daley he put some real rough diamonds and got way more out of them as a team than you'd ever of thought on paper. Players like Kevin Gage, Stuart Gray, Chris Price, Ormondroyd, Birchy none of them technically gifted but with in the team they could give as good as they got up against any opponent.

The team was way greater than the sum of its part suggested it should be and it showed what a great manager he was, and how he could get the best out of players, in that the same squad of players that finished 2nd battled relegation the very next season after he had departed.

Tony Daley being the icing on the cake. A truly exciting player. I can still hear the gasp from the Holte End when he got the ball, put his head down and ran. Defenders used to be petrified.

We would have won the league with a striker like Steve Bull that year (I believe GT enquired about him at the time) 

Edited by Xela
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Xela said:

Tony Daley being the icing on the cake. A truly exciting player. I can still hear the gasp from the Holte End when he got the ball, put his head down and ran. Defenders used to petrified.

We would have won the league with a striker like Steve Bull that year (I believe GT enquired about him at the time) 

Tony Daley loves him and has said again the last couple of days how he knew exactly what to say to get the best out of him and made him feel like a world beater.

You're right he did enquire about Bully and I think we offered 1 mill but he was really loyal to Wolves. I would be nit picking here and I am loathe to do so but the only mistake he made that season was bringing in Cascarino as it didn't quite click. In hindsight we'd have been better carrying on with Olney up top, another he got the best out of. Bottom line is though it was a miracle he took that squad of players to second.

Edited by markavfc40

Came here to write something but it's all been said, and better. It's Interesting what isn't said about Mr Taylor, and speaks volumes. To a man, people have spoken of his decency and of being a gentleman through and through.

A top man. Rest in peace.

Damn it's sad. Wolves Villa will be emotional. 

1 hour ago, markavfc40 said:

Tony Daley loves him and has said again the last couple of days how he knew exactly what to say to get the best out of him and made him feel like a world beater.

You're right he did enquire about Bully and I think we offered 1 mill but he was really loyal to Wolves. I would be nit picking here and I am loathe to do so but the only mistake he made that season was bringing in Cascarino as it didn't quite click. In hindsight we'd have been better carrying on with Olney up top, another he got the best out of. Bottom line is though it was a miracle he took that squad of players to second.

As I recollect Bully said that he met with our then chairman (whose name is now on the Witton Lane Stand) on his boat and discussed a move to us with him. He expected things to happen following that but said that was the last he ever heard of making a move to Villa. I also recall that Graham had wanted to bring in Teddy Sheringham but that same chairman went for the cheaper option when Millwall offered Tony Cascarino to him instead. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grasshopper said:

tears

tears and more tears

That story and Carlton Palmer's words really describes Graham well. Him and Roy Hodgson have always been the managers for me. Hodgson for his time in Malmö if anybody wonders.

23 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

Love Tony Daley. My hero.

GT was so instrumental in his career in particular. Some of his best years here were under GT. I think I'm right in saying he handed him his England debut too. Took him to Wolves despite the injuries when he was there and then again to Watford on his return to Vicarage Road.

Is he still coaching at the Wolves? (Why have we never brought him home?) If so or either way it seems fitting our next game is against them. Even more so if he'll be on the bench.

I wasn't his greatest fan as a player - a little to loose and inconsistent for me- however I loved his attitude and personality. I believe he is still at the Dingles and I agree with you - he should be bought home.

• Like 1

Â