Henri Lansbury

Phumfeinz

On 06/10/2023 at 13:37, villa89 said:

Couldn't spell his own name though. There's a Y in Henry. 

Must admit, I've no idea whether it's supposed to be pronounced Henry or Onree. 

It's a shit situation to be in, certainly.

I think my perspective of his view shifted when he talks about what a shame it was when some of the old boys left like Whelan, Hutton, and Micah Richards...

The attitude pisses me off a bit tbh. The injuries were no fault of his but I’m sure the club worked hard to help him recover (even if it was just to recoup on our investment in signing him).

I think it was clear to everyone and their dog that he wasn’t part of the club’s plans in the premier league. He should’ve seen being offered a payoff of 25% of his massive contract and being made a free agent an opportunity rather than an insult. The fact that he chose to stick around is emblematic of an attitude that almost sucked our club (and many other who haven’t been so lucky) dry. The rhetoric of wanting to help the youngsters is BS. 

Lange sounds like an arsehole but I’m here for it: we’re a good and honest club, we like to believe that we do things the right way, but we’ve been taken for a ride too many times. The list of leeches is almost endless: it might be that Lange was trying to draw a line under our unfortunate history of freeloaders. 

He’s right: there’s no loyalty, but there’s also no obligation for the club to treat him any differently, especially when he did naff all for us when he was fit. Less of the boys’ club - the old guard looking out for one another - and more appreciation that it sucks being a grown up, please.

He seems likeable and was popular with the players when we were in the Championship, but he’s another wannabe Mr Bigshot who can’t admit he was a misfit. 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

I'm on his side with that one, 25% is an insult. You want a player off the books you have to do a lot better than that, especially when a player knows this is likely the best deal they will ever get. Very similar to Maguire, shouldn't have to take a pay cut if you put them on a long term contract and the club no longer want you.

Edited by AndyM3000
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

The attitude pisses me off a bit tbh.

He should’ve seen being offered a payoff of 25% of his massive contract and being made a free agent an opportunity

Would you be happy if you had a guaranteed contract for x number of years only to be told by your employer, here’s 25% of that value now do one. 

I think the 25 percent thing is taken out of context, he was mainly injured and had 8 months left on his deal and the club said they were going to help get him a new club. Am guessing that means they would be including covering some of his wages at other club

No chance the club would have offered him this deal without his agent or consulting the PFA

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, jim said:

Would you be happy if you had a guaranteed contract for x number of years only to be told by your employer, here’s 25% of that value now do one. 

I understand where you and @Don_Simon are coming from, but I don’t think the analogy between a below average worker like me and a multimillion pound footballer really works. There’s no moral equivalency between someone earning millions on what is effectively a fixed term contract. Plus, I don’t have the leverage even an average footballer has if and when my employer chooses to terminate my employment. 

If I’m being totally honest, you’re probably being more understanding and compassionate than I can be in this situation (this is one of the reasons I love VT, tbh, and I totally acknowledge my blind spots). I think I’m sort of blinded by my disappointment with his performances for us and the bad memories from most of our time in the Championship. Then there’s my general unease at the sense of entitlement from pampered millionaires while most people are scraping by a deteriorating standard of living every day. 

• Like 1

If I'm currently not wanted where I'm working and I'm doing a dream job, I'm due to earn £500,000 that year and I'm offered

1. £125,000

2. help with finding my next company where I will continue to earn money. 

3. A chance to make Johan Lange give me a big smile

I'm taking that all day long. Why rot in the reserves and make finding your next job harder to find. Basically comes across like he was bitter, going in on the young players to show them how real football works when he'd barely strung 3 professional matches together in the last decade. Ramsey has probably doubled Lansbury's top flight appearances now at least. 

Any former player that goes on about the clique of Bunn, Hutton, Richards, Agbonlahor et al and what a "good bunch of lads" they were when other former players, staff and managers have alluded to their lack of professionalism, is someone I have reservations on. The fact they'd all gone and Lansbury was still there and we were trying to pay him off to get rid and keeping him away from the dressing room speaks volumes imo. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, skarroki said:

If I'm currently not wanted where I'm working and I'm doing a dream job, I'm due to earn £500,000 that year and I'm offered

1. £125,000

2. help with finding my next company where I will continue to earn money. 

3. A chance to make Johan Lange give me a big smile

I'm taking that all day long. Why rot in the reserves and make finding your next job harder to find. Basically comes across like he was bitter, going in on the young players to show them how real football works when he'd barely strung 3 professional matches together in the last decade. Ramsey has probably doubled Lansbury's top flight appearances now at least. 

Any former player that goes on about the clique of Bunn, Hutton, Richards, Agbonlahor et al and what a "good bunch of lads" they were when other former players, staff and managers have alluded to their lack of professionalism, is someone I have reservations on. The fact they'd all gone and Lansbury was still there and we were trying to pay him off to get rid and keeping him away from the dressing room speaks volumes imo. 

Mostly agree with this altho still not convinced he should have accepted the offer. Did sound a bit light and when you know you’re injury prone probably better to stick with the guaranteed pay to end of contract.

But yeah by my reckoning he made 13 Premier League appearances in his entire career, so the attitude towards the 23s and his mate JT and all of that comes off as a player who thought he was a bit better than he was. Jacob Ramsey has already had a more successful career than him. Won’t be long before Aaron does too.

I do have a lot of sympathy for these players who clearly were good enough to play top flight football but couldn’t stay fit long enough… but just admit it to yourself Henri. Don’t act like you were a shining example to those lads.

• Like 2

Haven't listened yet but he came with big expectations from Forest, played a fair bit under Steve Bruce and then fell out of favour. Can't really recall him featuring much at all in the promotion season although I do remember him randomly starting a prem game at Sheffield United when we had a few injuries.

Given we then signed Danny fecking Drinkwater he should've known there and then it was time to go.

Hourihane used to get a bit of stick on here but he was lightyears ahead of Lansbury on the pitch for us. He's another one like Trez and AEG who played a significant part for us in last five years with really crucial goals in the play offs and also first season in the prem.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Haven't listened yet but he came with big expectations from Forest, played a fair bit under Steve Bruce and then fell out of favour. Can't really recall him featuring much at all in the promotion season although I do remember him randomly starting a prem game at Sheffield United when we had a few injuries.

Given we then signed Danny fecking Drinkwater he should've known there and then it was time to go.

Hourihane used to get a bit of stick on here but he was lightyears ahead of Lansbury on the pitch for us. He's another one like Trez and AEG who played a significant part for us in last five years with really crucial goals in the play offs and also first season in the prem.

I think you could tell immediately how differently Lansbury and Hourihane took their careers.

Lansbury started under Wenger and ended up retiring at 31 to push on with a lawn business after floating about injured in the championship for years. 

Hourihane came up from league 2 to the Prem and is still playing now whilst coaching the youth teams in his spare time and doing his badges. 

Both very talented, one unlucky with injuries and not in love with football. The other football mad and unbreakable. 

• Thanks 1

Â