Sam Johnstone

StefanAVFC

Disastrous signing IMO. The one thing you want a keeper to have is confidence and command his area. He does neither. There may be a good keeper in there somewhere but we can't be the laboratory to find that out. Bunn has to play as the lesser of to evils.

• Like 3

Such a weird signing.

We lost points at the start of the season watching Gollini settle.  Then we ship him out and are doing the same with this guy.  I'm sure this experience will be invaluable to their development though, and they'll thank us when playing top flight football in a few years.  Meanwhile we will be cost cutting as we didn't get promoted, after loaning a championship rival £17m worth of player.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TreeVillan said:

We've dropped so many points from winning positions this season. Does anybody have a statistic that shows how many of those matches were down to keeping errors? I would be interested to know. 

Not sure but off the top of my head it's got to be at least 10 points

• Like 1

Needs another couple of seasons in the development squad, lads nowhere near ready to be first choice in the first team. 

Obviously confidence is shot and needs taking out the spotlight with immediate effect! 

3 minutes ago, Phumfeinz said:

Not sure but off the top of my head it's got to be at least 10 points

2 vs Huddersfield (away) *

3 vs Bristol City (away)

2 vs Forest (home) *

2 vs Brentford (home) *

2 vs Barnsley (away) *

2 vs Wolves (home) 

2 vs Small Heath (away)

2 vs Brighton (away)

2 vs Preston (home) **

3 vs Forest (away) *

Total - 22 points dropped from winning positions 

Now I don't think we can feel hard done by in all of those situations, some were just games we happened to take the lead in but were pegged back in the first half or early in the second half and of course, there are games this season where we've got something ourselves late on (Newcastle, Leeds) or came from behind to win (Blackburn) but games I've put an asterisk next to are the ones which probably sting the most. The ones with a single asterisk are instances of us dropping points when we were winning with less than five minutes to play and the Preston game was where we blew a two goal lead relatively late on. 

• Like 3

Watch teams rough him up on corners now with shots galore coming at him from all directions and oppo forwards following up at every opportunity.

Because of that Bruce needs to rest him but it depends on the loan agreement?

The lad has had a disastrous start his confidence is shot and a struggling backline isn't helping him either he has come highly rated but a bit like a lot of players when they but on a Villa jersey they seem to immediately struggle I hope he improved we need him to need to keep clean sheets going to struggle otherwise .

1 minute ago, BigAl said:

The lad has had a disastrous start his confidence is shot and a struggling backline isn't helping him either he has come highly rated but a bit like a lot of players when they but on a Villa jersey they seem to immediately struggle I hope he improved we need him to need to keep clean sheets going to struggle otherwise .

I think the defence are equally as nervy with Johnstone behind them to be fair.

Just now, theboyangel said:

I think the defence are equally as nervy with Johnstone behind them to be fair.

Yes you are probably right on that one we were getting there defensively and he has come in over the last 4/5  games and we look all over the place .

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Cizzler said:

Frustrating that we let the guy in net up the other end (the one who could actually save a shot) leave us on a free transfer, and we're in a place where we've had to resort to loaning a fat useless word removed from United.

Johnstone was bad but Henderson wasnt that much better, he had an absolute mare in the 1st half. dropped a Kodjia long range effort and then dropped a set-piece which I think Elphick should have put away

24 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Johnstone was bad but Henderson wasnt that much better, he had an absolute mare in the 1st half. dropped a Kodjia long range effort and then dropped a set-piece which I think Elphick should have put away

Difference is Henderson made up with some good saves Johnstone was shit throughout

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Strangeways said:

Why on earth did we loan our number 1 out and bring in somebodys elses youngster who is still learning his trade in such an important season......

Worst loan signing ever and one of the biggest managerial mistakes.

I think Gollini wanted out anyway so we would have needed a new keeper. Should have gone for experience though 

• Like 1

Hopefully there isn't any "prestige" in this signing so Bruce doesn't feel he has to keep playing him because it was his signing.

Drop him and send him back to Man U.

He isn't helping us, and his development will not be helped by him remaining here making costly mistakes week in and week out.

Â