Sam Johnstone

StefanAVFC

On 2/4/2017 at 23:47, Cizzler said:

Frustrating that we let the guy in net up the other end (the one who could actually save a shot) 

He could save a shot but he looked pretty shite otherwise.

He'd be very frustrating on crosses etc

• Like 1

Have people forgotten what happened with Gollini?

Signing Johnstone looks like the wrong decision, but it was hardly all down to Bruce that Gollini was dropped. He clearly wanted out.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, briny_ear said:

Except we didn't "move Gollini out". He left because he wanted an Italian goalkeeping coach and couldn't have one. effectively, He has left the club  so no pint in pining for him.

Bruce replaced him and he moved on. Bruce's decision.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I didn't want us to keep Gollini on account of him being shit, Bruce was right to replace him but was wrong to not go with a more experienced option, quite clear we needed a finished article rather than another club's work in progress.

This.

4 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I didn't want us to keep Gollini on account of him being shit, Bruce was right to replace him but was wrong to not go with a more experienced option, quite clear we needed a finished article rather than another club's work in progress.

Don't want to be too gloomy, but on the evidence so far, Johnstone has some serious flaws in his basic game, some of which may mean he will not develop into a decent goalie.

So we seem to have the same size of problem at GK as we had with Gollini, maybe a bit worse. I suppose at least, as far as we know, Johnstone is not trying to specify the nationality of our goalkeeping coach.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, AJ said:

The thing is, TRO, can we really afford to wait for him to find form?

Bunn, I have noticed, is the same. Whenever he is recalled, he has a good first game, but any games after that, he goes to pieces.

Without getting into the " He's not ours" argument, I would opt for Bunn because he has more experience.

AJ I understand what you are saying, but it smacks of must get up this season at all costs.

We went down with a squad far,far worse than Newcastle and Norwich....it was beyond woeful....it was probably the most inept team I have ever seen in my time watching villa c 50 odd years

that level of demise is not going away in one season IMO.....we have to work our way through things.

• Like 3

Such a shame we didn't replace Bunn while we were at it.

Nothing specific against him of Johnson (who looks a bit flustered of late) but there are plenty of old keepers who can pass on experience AND play well.
I think it was a missed chance to really firm up the team, unless a kid will come through....

Edited by itdoesntmatterwhatthissay

4 hours ago, TRO said:

AJ I understand what you are saying, but it smacks of must get up this season at all costs.

We went down with a squad far,far worse than Newcastle and Norwich....it was beyond woeful....it was probably the most inept team I have ever seen in my time watching villa c 50 odd years

that level of demise is not going away in one season IMO.....we have to work our way through things.

You are right, TRO, but to say I am implying that we should still push for the play offs is incorrect. That boat has sailed, and to chase it we would be paddling after it on half a surf board.

For reasons at least of pride and the spirit of competitiveness, we should still play our best team.

• Like 2

Might as well back him now. We are stuck with him until June. No point starting a witch hunt on him since that will likely destroy whatever confidence he may have left. 

Immediately slating our players never works out. Back him and hope. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, AJ said:

You are right, TRO, but to say I am implying that we should still push for the play offs is incorrect. That boat has sailed, and to chase it we would be paddling after it on half a surf board.

For reasons at least of pride and the spirit of competitiveness, we should still play our best team.

I have never subscribed to " give in"..... but equally  pehaps we shouldn't expect.

2 hours ago, Czechlad said:

Might as well back him now. We are stuck with him until June. No point starting a witch hunt on him since that will likely destroy whatever confidence he may have left. 

Immediately slating our players never works out. Back him and hope. 

I agree.. but he's not our player. Given he's been so shit.. even worse than Gollini.. I'd rather give one of our youth a go and back him even if they make errors. 

I was annoyed at his spill into the only bastard forest player in the box on Sat.. Especially when their keeper made an identical save earlier in the half and I said to @Paddywhack "That's a decent save, if that was a Villa GK, he'd put it on a plate for a tap in"..

:(  :(  woe is me.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

I was annoyed at his spill into the only bastard forest player in the box on Sat.. Especially when their keeper made an identical save earlier in the half and I said to @Paddywhack "That's a decent save, if that was a Villa GK, he'd put it on a plate for a tap in"..

:(  :(  woe is me.

Nah, you said "If I was the Villa player I would definitely scored that and if I was the Forest keeper I'd have definitely done a better save than that".

Â