Sam Johnstone

StefanAVFC

surprised no mention but he had a bit of a mare without being at fault for a goal. nearly made one of classic goalkeeping blunders which he stopped on the line and a couple bad kickouts nearly led to a goal

7 hours ago, Zatman said:

surprised no mention but he had a bit of a mare without being at fault for a goal. nearly made one of classic goalkeeping blunders which he stopped on the line and a couple bad kickouts nearly led to a goal

Wow! Without him they'd have scored 7 or 8. One of the few players who can leave that game with any credit.

He seems to be another whose face just doesn't fit. He'll be this seasons scapegoat I reckon. 

• Like 3

On 13/08/2017 at 22:49, tom_avfc said:

Wow! Without him they'd have scored 7 or 8. One of the few players who can leave that game with any credit.

He seems to be another whose face just doesn't fit. He'll be this seasons scapegoat I reckon. 

may aswell just quote this after every game...

• Like 1

Could he have come and punched for Norwich's second? It was very clear that Murphy was going to put the ball on Oliveira's head, but maybe it was too fast or he was too far away. 

Side note - that Murphy looks like a real prospect. 

On 8/19/2017 at 18:58, HanoiVillan said:

Could he have come and punched for Norwich's second? It was very clear that Murphy was going to put the ball on Oliveira's head, but maybe it was too fast or he was too far away. 

Side note - that Murphy looks like a real prospect. 

Nah, Terry got caught out really.  No way Johnstone is coming out of goal for that ball.

I forgot to comment at the time - and this kid gets a load of stick for no real reason, so I'll post some positives - he was good coming out of goal in the first half against Norwich.  A couple of times they broke and the ball was in behind Hutton/Terry/Chester (I think both times down our right, perhaps?) with Murphy and Jerome running on to the ball.  Johnstone came out and, against Murphy, put in a cracking tackle.  Against Jerome, did enough to make him fluff his lines.  

Astute goalkeeping in any case, particularly given our relatively-slow defence.

• Like 1

He got caught out big time in the first half when he came for a long ball and got done but luckily it didn't come to anything.

Other than that I thought it was another solid game for him.

He looks a lot better than last season. Particularly under crosses and high balls.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Â