Gareth Southgate

Richard

2 minutes ago, Lunarsea said:

If, by your own reckoning,it is all Southgate's fault if we lose a match,  is it equally all his fault if we win a match?

It should be surely?

He can take as much credit as he likes. It's not his job to win football matches.

Funny how we look better with Foden in isn't it? With Bellingham. Picking players in form that should be starting, and winning you games is what he can't seem to do.

With no Sterling. No Mount. 

He's still forced a few of his favourites in of course. Maguire, Stones, Walker, Pickford, Henderson. Hope they don't cost us. Could have been 1-0 down but for a great save.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

He can take as much credit as he likes. It's not his job to win football matches.

Funny how we look better with Foden in isn't it? With Bellingham. Picking players in form that should be starting, and winning you games is what he can't seem to do.

He's still forced a few of his favourites in of course. Maguire, Stones, Walker, Pickford, Henderson. Hope they don't cost us. Could have been 1-0 down but for a great save.

It’s exactly his job to win football matches.

He’s  got the tactics spot on today and deserves credit for that. 

I do worry against France that we’ll be straight back to the back 5 with 2 holiding mids, but he can’t be criticised for something he hasn’t done yet. 

• Like 1

Just now, mikeyp102 said:

It’s exactly his job to win football matches.

Nope. It's his job to not embarrass the FA. That's why he got the job. It's why he plays so defensively.

He’s  got the tactics spot on today and deserves credit for that. 

I think you'd struggle to pick an XI that wouldn't beat Senegal.

I do worry against France that we’ll be straight back to the back 5 with 2 holiding mids, but he can’t be criticised for something he hasn’t done yet. 

Wouldn't be surprised. He's an idiot after all. Clearly, we'd be better off going at France's defence, than inviting their attack onto us.

• Like 1

Ive criticised him plenty but at the end of the day he has got this squad playing together and they seem comfortable and confident, which is more than any other England manager has achieved since 1966. I don’t rate his tactics and it bores me to tears at times but **** it he does seem to be a round peg in a round hole and it seems to just work. I can’t go back to the days of England before him. It actually feels like we could genuinely win a tournament. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Spoony said:

Ive criticised him plenty but at the end of the day he has got this squad playing together and they seem comfortable and confident, which is more than any other England manager has achieved since 1966. I don’t rate his tactics and it bores me to tears at times but **** it he does seem to be a round peg in a round hole and it seems to just work. I can’t go back to the days of England before him. It actually feels like we could genuinely win a tournament. 

We **** should be able to :D

Absolutely stacked with midfield and attacking talent - arguably the best in the World - and, whilst the defence isn’t quite so elite, we have a CL class entire back line (bar keeper). 

Just now, bobzy said:

We **** should be able to :D

Absolutely stacked with midfield and attacking talent - arguably the best in the World - and, whilst the defence isn’t quite so elite, we have a CL class entire back line (bar keeper). 

Great result, our quality came to the front in the end , Bellingham taking on a couple of players made all the difference. From then on in Senegal wall a busted flush. We are where we should be.

Question is can we play beyond our quality, our defence looks shaky and France will test it and this will be a downfall unless our forward line can dig us out of it. 

MOTM..... Bellingham. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Pickford's a strange one to call out. 3 clean sheets out of four at this World cup. 5 clean sheets out of 7 at last major tournament and all he conceded in that were two set pieces (also saved two penalties in the final shootout).

He's not hugely consistent in a 50 game club season but he's the best tournament keeper England have had in decades. When you see Pope making errors v Germany and Ramsdale conceding four v Hungary in nations league that seems an odd selection to call Southgate out for.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

Pickford's a strange one to call out. 3 clean sheets out of four at this World cup. 5 clean sheets out of 7 at last major tournament and all he conceded in that were two set pieces (also saved two penalties in the final shootout).

He's not hugely consistent in a 50 game club season but he's the best tournament keeper England have had in decades. When you see Pope making errors v Germany and Ramsdale conceding four v Hungary in nations league that seems an odd selection to call Southgate out for.

He’s faced 6 shots on target and conceded 2. Sure, clean sheets but… he hasn’t really had much to do, has he?

Just now, bobzy said:

He’s faced 6 shots on target and conceded 2. Sure, clean sheets but… he hasn’t really had much to do, has he?

Big save tonight when he had to. Strong on some of the corners Senegal had which he can sometimes flap at.

He has his flaws but he always turns up in major tournaments so considering we've had decades of likes of Joe Hart, Rob Green, James making major errors in tournaments I think his level is fine.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Yes pickford has been excellent for England. Made a great save first half. I wouldn't trust any of the others ahead of him 

• Like 4

Just now, foreveryoung said:

Hendo man of the tournament for Gareth. Speaks volumes. 

Hates to big up the young players too much.

To be fair to him I think Henderson has been alright, he's not sitting back and playing the same role as Phillips, he's pushing on and getting more involved

He's definitely doing more than Mount

• Like 2

I'm not buying the talk about Southgate taking us deep into 2018 and 2020 tournaments. 

Name me 1 team we beat in both those tournaments that you wouldn't have expected us to beat? Answers accepted on a post card please. 

At the time Germany felt massive but in retrospect they are a team who have really fallen from Grace, they're not the power they've been. 

There are however plenty of teams you would have expected us to beat which we haven't. 

Can’t stand the bloke but he got it spot on tonight, playing Henderson was a great call as it allows Bellingham to play further forward. Saka over Rashford was also the right call, harsh on Rashford but Saka is simply the better player!

• Like 1

Â