Gareth Southgate

Richard

5 minutes ago, bobzy said:

It’s a very good squad in terms of International football. Incredible attacking depth, very good midfield, defence lacks (which I guess is why Southgate plays “defensively”).

Hard to think of a definitively better International squad really. 

France for one 🤷‍♂️

We have a team and a squad that's somewhere between top 2 to 8

Which is where we have been finishing

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, jim said:

I’d keep him on if he wants it. We shouldn’t underestimate what he does off the pitch. We have the most united group in decades and that is down to Gareth. 

Yet the Morocco manager has achieved more in 3 months. 

• Like 1

I’ve never been a Southgate fan, but that was his best tournament as manager. We were unlucky tonight and although there were clear areas of criticism for Southgate (lack of pressing in first half, unadventurous passing) he also largely neutralised Mbappe, who pregame was seen as the main threat.

He’s developed a slightly braver streak now with the formation, if not with the passing style… but maybe that will come.

Hard to see who would actually do a better job than him because the FA and the tabloid press and weirdo England “fans” are such an unholy alliance, who will try to ruin any manager in record time. Southgate’s ability to avoid that is his main strength. Tactically he’s mediocre yea; but maybe international football *is* tactically mediocre.

7 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I defend him On Here more than I actually necessarily fully feel, partly because it's boring and mindless when everyone agrees and more interesting to have an actual debate about things, and partly because, as you say in the first line there, his critics struggle to get the story straight. It's true that the squad isn't as good as people think; when you've got people insisting that bringing on Leicester's James Maddison or Southampton's James Ward-Prowse would have been the difference, it should be telling them our fabled strength in depth isn't all that. None of the back four tonight are an automatic pick for their sides, and in some cases barely get picked at all. The goalie has never played continental-level football. Henderson is declining, but it's not like there's a wealth of CM talent left on the bench or at home. We have a good squad, not a great one.

You could say that for most teams, including that French team. No team has world class in every position. Brazil ain't far off and there out!

People need to realise the coach is a huge part of a winning international team.

Great managers win world cups, not always great teams.

Morocco are an example. Mancini also won the Euros off us, our team was far better than that aging Italy team all day long.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

**** hell I'm defending Southgate...

Whats the Morocco achieved? A world cup semi final? Cos Southgate has that on his CV too

Have you taken into account the squad abilities at all?!

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

**** hell I'm defending Southgate...

Whats the Morocco achieved? A world cup semi final? Cos Southgate has that on his CV too

I'm talking to someone who is defending Southgate because we shouldn't expect to beat France. Morocco have beaten Spain and Portugal with a vastly inferior team. 

2 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

I’ve never been a Southgate fan, but that was his best tournament as manager. We were unlucky tonight and although there were clear areas of criticism for Southgate (lack of pressing in first half, unadventurous passing) he also largely neutralised Mbappe, who pregame was seen as the main threat.

He’s developed a slightly braver streak now with the formation, if not with the passing style… but maybe that will come.

Hard to see who would actually do a better job than him because the FA and the tabloid press and weirdo England “fans” are such an unholy alliance, who will try to ruin any manager in record time. Southgate’s ability to avoid that is his main strength. Tactically he’s mediocre yea; but maybe international football *is* tactically mediocre.

He's had plenty of time, an not done bad. But it's time for a change, unless you want this, beat the crap and lose to every other half decent team situation to carry on.

5 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

You could say that for most teams, including that French team. No team has world class in every position. Brazil ain't far off and there out!

People need to realise the coach is a huge part of a winning international team.

Great managers win world cups, not always great teams.

Morocco are an example. Mancini also won the Euros off us, our team was far better than that aging Italy team all day long.

9 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

France for one 🤷‍♂️

We have a team and a squad that's somewhere between top 2 to 8

Which is where we have been finishing

Let’s see where the great Southgate ends up. Bloke got into management through the back doors with help from the FA. Didn’t have the qualifications needed. He’s had a lot of luck on his side with draws in previous tournaments but still managed to fail. He couldn’t beat a French team without 5 regulars. Other way around and they would have dismantled us. 

• Like 1

Of the biggest nations in world football: 
Morocco have beaten Spain, Portugal and Belgium in this tournament alone. 

In the last three, we’ve beaten Germany…. At home.

I’m annoyed pundits and media refuse to talk about this. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, VillaAlex said:

I'm talking to someone who is defending Southgate because we shouldn't expect to beat France. Morocco have beaten Spain and Portugal with a vastly inferior team. 

Okay, so?

Should we replace Southgate with Morocco's manager, if he fancies it? Otherwise I'm struggling to see the relevance. 

Personally, I think any success the team has had has been down to the players, Gareth’s an inconvenience. Southgate is just too conservative but he’s too up his own arse to realise that he’s the problem, so we’ll probably have to endure a shit Euros before the FA gets the point that he’s shite, and finally gives him the hoof.

5 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Better managers get more out of decent teams. 

We are Villa fans so should know this!!

"Most of our players are Championship level".

"Wow maybe it wasn't the players but Gerrard being poor".

Edited by foreveryoung

3 minutes ago, VillaAlex said:

France are used to winning big tournaments we are not. Kane choked the second penalty. Gironde given a free header. I think its as much the players losing mentality as the manager but it'd time to move on and give someone else a chance. I think he will resign

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

Okay, so?

Should we replace Southgate with Morocco's manager, if he fancies it? Otherwise I'm struggling to see the relevance. 

No but he has not done a good job. We've largely beaten who we'd expect to beat, apart from Germany at Wembley. I expect better and it doesn't make sense to continue on yet again. 

Â