Gareth Southgate

Richard

I’d keep him on if he wants it. We shouldn’t underestimate what he does off the pitch. We have the most united group in decades and that is down to Gareth. 

Just now, M_Afro said:

Garbage manager wasting all of our best chances to win a major tournament. Move on please Gareth 

Did the same for the Euros, bring Grealish on with 30 mins to go there and we’d have won it. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

He's just done the most boring interview imaginable.

Refused to slag off the ref. Didn't really answer questions directly.

Show some emotion ffs.

**** robot.

Imagine the half time team talk  " your doing really well lads"?? I've hardly ever seen his passion, would rather talk in bullshit riddles "he's amazing human being" etc, than being able to gee up the team.

Maybe a great manager, so the media say, but not a great coach, although probably his assistant doing most of the coaching while Southgates still making sure Sterling and Mount still love him.

Not gonna say he's been totally shit, but we definately need a change, it's time for him to go I would say, lets give someone else the reins.

Poch anyone?

• Like 2

Serious question though if he gets the next cycle what does he do next?

I personally think the u21s is pretty poor at the moment

Henderson goes and a more possession controlling cm comes in, I'd like to think this tournament has shown him he doesn't need phillips and rice anymore, so it's Gallagher, Ramsey or more likely elliot at Liverpool and hopefully not Curtis Jones

Not a clue who is going to back up kane, it's a problem Southgate has never answered

He has time to replace maguire but again I'm jot sure who with, gueh or Tomori?

I don't see huge changes in the team in the next 2 years

2 minutes ago, jim said:

I’d keep him on if he wants it. We shouldn’t underestimate what he does off the pitch. We have the most united group in decades and that is down to Gareth. 

Agree but he’s not good enough as a manager. Granted he makes a good cup of tea and plays a mean ping pong with players to get their togetherness up but when push comes to shove he’s not good enough. What would our very own Emery do with this England squad, win something that’s what. 

I have to admit I’m a bit tainted as he was a great player for us and seems to want to piss on all things Villa nowadays.

Time for a change I think, perhaps Poch?

4 minutes ago, jim said:

See this is why we are not winning  trophies. Just because he has united the team?? Means next to FA!! We need to be winning.

Sounds like he's wavering anyway

I suspect he'll probably resign tomorrow. Time will tell if we're better off; maybe we will be, but people overrate England's talent pool relative to the other top-seed sides so it wouldn't be a big surprise if we just regress back to where we were in the McLaren/Capello/Hodgson years. 

• Like 1

Just now, HanoiVillan said:

Sounds like he's wavering anyway

I suspect he'll probably resign tomorrow. Time will tell if we're better off; maybe we will be, but people overrate England's talent pool relative to the other top-seed sides so it wouldn't be a big surprise if we just regress back to where we were in the McLaren/Capello/Hodgson years. 

England is nuts really, every man and his dog who gets called up is "**** shit" but the manager should be winning the world cup with them

And I hate Southgate! This squad isn't that good and it's not in form, he's doing a bad job of it but it's a tough job

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, jim said:

I’m fine with that - but hit any good side, and we lose. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

England is nuts really, every man and his dog who gets called up is "**** shit" but the manager should be winning the world cup with them

And I hate Southgate! This squad isn't that good and it's not in form, he's doing a bad job of it but it's a tough job

He could make it easier for himself by picking players in form instead of his favourites.

Euros was an open goal and this tournament was very winnable. His subs cost instead of his formation selection which he finally got right.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

It’s a very good squad in terms of International football. Incredible attacking depth, very good midfield, defence lacks (which I guess is why Southgate plays “defensively”).

Hard to think of a definitively better International squad really. 

Just now, villa4europe said:

I defend him On Here more than I actually necessarily fully feel, partly because it's boring and mindless when everyone agrees and more interesting to have an actual debate about things, and partly because, as you say in the first line there, his critics struggle to get the story straight. It's true that the squad isn't as good as people think; when you've got people insisting that bringing on Leicester's James Maddison or Southampton's James Ward-Prowse would have been the difference, it should be telling them our fabled strength in depth isn't all that. None of the back four tonight are an automatic pick for their sides, and in some cases barely get picked at all. The goalie has never played continental-level football. Henderson is declining, but it's not like there's a wealth of CM talent left on the bench or at home. We have a good squad, not a great one.

18 minutes ago, jim said:

Is it bollocks most of the squad have been mates well before they played for England. The bloke has failed 3 times and you want him to have another go. Sorry we beat the mighty Iran, Wales and Senegal without their 3 best players. Every tournament he has failed his first proper test. 

• Like 3

Just now, Tomaszk said:

He could make it easier for himself by picking players in form instead of his favourites.

Euros was an open goal and this tournament was very winnable. His subs cost instead of his formation selection which he finally got right.

But seriously coming in to this tournament who is form?

Euros was different and I agree, should have attacked more, should have played grealish more, played Mount right wing  for the first time in his life and took too long to take him off when he was shit

Would also say that he got lucky with bellingham, he's only in there because phillips was injured

But seriously tonight which in form player was missing?

3 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

This this this!

I really wanted to praise him tonight, until the awful subs started. It's unforgivable.

3 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

I wanna see a manager doing things like this rather than remaining emotionless in every situation possible

Yeah passion is definately not one of his fortues. Always thought he fancies himself as a bit of a psychologist, with all tne bullshite he spouts in his interviews, you know " Hendo is an amazing human being, he should feel the warmth he gets within this squad of players'!!! 🤪

• Like 1

Â