Gareth Southgate

Richard

15 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Agreed.

I think the way we deal with MBappe is Walker. People laugh at that but Mbappe's main weapon is pace. That's not to say he's a better version of Gabby, he's obviously world class. But if you can have someone who can genuinely stick to him and not let him break then that's half the battle.

What we don't want is the team changing just to focus on Mbappe and leaving us open everywhere else.

We're a **** good team. If Southgate and the team go out and play like we're a good team then we've got a real chance

Issue with that is Walker has played 90 minutes once since August and that was vs Senegal. His match fitness wont be great and arguably should have not got a call up due to having no game time

Surprised if he can last 90/120 minutes

52 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Issue with that is Walker has played 90 minutes once since August and that was vs Senegal. His match fitness wont be great and arguably should have not got a call up due to having no game time

Surprised if he can last 90/120 minutes

Yep I agree with that. it's a risk. But I still think he's the best option

• Like 1

On 07/12/2022 at 15:17, Zatman said:

Griezmann is one of the playrrs of tge tournament so far. Most agree without his brain and workrate Mbappe wouldnt be getting these chances

Yes hes decent but not world class

On 07/12/2022 at 15:50, Stevo985 said:

Agreed.

I think the way we deal with MBappe is Walker. People laugh at that but Mbappe's main weapon is pace. That's not to say he's a better version of Gabby, he's obviously world class. But if you can have someone who can genuinely stick to him and not let him break then that's half the battle.

What we don't want is the team changing just to focus on Mbappe and leaving us open everywhere else.

We're a **** good team. If Southgate and the team go out and play like we're a good team then we've got a real chance

I agree we have to focus on our strengths. Our front 3 plus Bellingham can destroy them. You take out Henderson or an attacker to accomodate an extra defender just makes us less potentt. 

• Like 1

If he gets the win against these, he will certainly prove some doubters wrong, including myself. Even if we lose while playing some good attacking football I could manage to give him the plaudits. But please, if he reverts back to that dour defensive football for most of the game, pi***ing his pants because of the quality of Mbappe, he can f*** right off and needs to give someone else a chance with this highly talented squad.

Also if it goes to penalties, he must retire, we have enough quality in this squad to go and win this in 90 minutes. Lets just hope he has learnt from the Euro final against Italy, they are not the tactics to use against the worlds elite.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Pretty much made jack leave villa, then doesn’t play him anyway

**** off, it’s time 

Grealish is lucky to be in the squad for the season he's been having.

• Like 4

Going absolutely nowhere, wouldn't get excited

That performance and result will be labelled as unlucky vs a very good France team, fingers will be pointed at the ref not southgate

FWIW I'm half way to saying it's right, we were the better team, the ref was shit and we missed a penalty

That's one of Southgate's better big games

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Going absolutely nowhere, wouldn't get excited

That performance and result will be labelled as unlucky vs a very good France team, fingers will be pointed at the ref not southgate

FWIW I'm half way to saying it's right, we were the better team, the ref was shit and we missed a penalty

That's one of Southgate's better big games

Took off Saka when he was dominating that right hand side - brought on Sterling, got exposed on the right for France’s winner.

That’s the tactical nous of this manager. 

• Like 1

Bizarrely, I’m less angry at him now than I was when we lost to Croatia and Italy in previous tournaments.

That said, regardless of tonight’s performance which I thought was very good, he has to go. Whenever we come up against a decent side in a tournament, we lose. The only anomaly being Germany. 

It’s time for someone else to have a go. At best, he’ll be remembered as a manager that got fairly far in tournaments and brought some harmony to a young squad. At worst, a manager who was lacking tactically and rarely picked the right team.

Personally, I lean towards the latter. I don’t rate Southgate much at all as a manager and when he does leave, he won’t do much in the game. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dodgyknees said:

Southgate’s record is similar to saying Crouch is one of our greatest goalscorers cos he scored a hatrick versus Jamaica and has a good goal scoring record.

Kind of

Southgate's win percentage record is put in to perspective when you realise that capello is out in first and a whole 6% better than everyone else

That said he's now at semi final, final, quarter final? And the previous  tournaments were shit, shit, shitter and didn't qualify

Â