January 2017 transfer window

Jareth

21 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

If he joins us, within months that would turn into Donk the Clown.

Or if he hits the clubs that Carew recommends, he could be Donkor Bonkor.

if were pinning hopes on a play maker from a team sitting 20th in the same league...ffs

if we are to be this "power house" big tony wants us to be in less than 5 years, we should have been looking to cleverley on loan (as he is miles better than any midfield player)

delph falls in to the same bracket, the current wasters in jedi/westie/gardner/tish / are not going to do a single thing (ask any fan who went to wolves away).

if big tone got these pair in you might get ash young back on loan as he dont play at man u (oh & hes better than than any player on the books too)

but the players were linked with ..i have never heard of them, not one struggling prem side as sniffed around them which says it all.

maybe 5% better than what we have to which is NOT GOOD ENOUGH

5 minutes ago, cbr600rr said:

if were pinning hopes on a play maker from a team sitting 20th in the same league...ffs

They are 20th because of their defence.  They score a lot of goals.  We're (hopefully) buying one of the main reasons they score goals.

Just been discussing our predicament with a glory hunter and have come to the conclusion that I wouldn't like Steve to bankroll a £100m signing spree this month as I genuinely feel we aren't good enough for the play offs or promotion at all tbh. I'd like him to get 2 or 3 in to steady the ship but give him the summer and a full pre season to really stamp his authority on this squad.

Edited by Hoof hearted
  • Like 1

is it the same scout that said ross mccormack will bang goal after goal in (12million pounds ) or tish is the answer hes box to box (5million pounds)

the only player who has done any good is kodjia..the rest have been ..well lets say..no shots at wolves good enough

• Like 1

Just now, cbr600rr said:

well lets say..no shots at wolves good enough

Now, now - let's at least get the facts straight. ;)  It wasn't  "no shots" at Wolves.  I think we actually managed 6 "shots" in 90 minutes (which is one every15 minutes).  Just that none of them happened to actually be in the direction of the goal! :(:(:(

Edited by allani
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, allani said:

Now, now - let's at least get the facts straight. ;-)  It wasn't  "no shots" at Wolves.  I think we actually managed 6 "shots" in 90 minutes (which is one every15 minutes).  Just that none of them happened to actually be in the direction of the goal! ;-) ;-)

ffs!!! what a shambles ..when will it end

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cbr600rr said:

if we are to be this "power house" big tony wants us to be in less than 5 years, we should have been looking to cleverley on loan (as he is miles better than any midfield player)

delph falls in to the same bracket, the current wasters in jedi/westie/gardner/tish / are not going to do a single thing (ask any fan who went to wolves away).

if big tone got these pair in you might get ash young back on loan as he dont play at man u (oh & hes better than than any player on the books too)

but the players were linked with ..i have never heard of them, not one struggling prem side as sniffed around them which says it all.

maybe 5% better than what we have to which is NOT GOOD ENOUGH

If we're to be this big powerhouse as you put it we better all get real about what that actually means. No powerhouse is built on a foundation of sand. It's absolutely frustrating that we've seen Johnstone in and nothing else. Of course it is, we're all fans. All we really care about is that when we pay our hard earned money to support this club that we get entertained. What hurts most to the majority of us is not the losses or relegations, we're Villa fans we've seen it all, it's the loss of pride in our team.

I was in a corner shop the other day waiting in line. The guy being served (A Cardiff fan) asked the cashier (A Forest fan) who they were playing on the weekend. He replied that he wasn't sure but he thought it was Villa. Without a moments hesitation the Cardiff fan said "Well, that's 3 points in the bag then". The Forest fan was wrong obviously, we were playing Wolves, but I hung my head in shame. when I got to the till I said to him "is that really what we've become?"

That's not solved by buying player x, y or z. That, as many people are well aware of, is the sign of a cancerous tumour that needs removing. We did a lot more in the summer than I thought possible. However just by virtue of how utterly appalling we were last year I never thought it was remotely possible to go back up this year. We need desperately to build a team. Not one perceived to be capable of this or that. Just a team. One that works for each other, that want to play for Aston Villa and most importantly Steve Bruce. Listening back to a podcast interview with God and GT (There's a link in the GT thread) McGrath points out that what GT did was make him want to play for him, he felt he owed a debt to him and the club and for whatever reason he just loved Villa Park, loved playing there, it felt like his second home or words to that effect. He alludes to them all wanting to run and fight for each other. That's a million miles away from Gana walking in the door and saying he can't wait for his debut at this stepping stone club he had just arrived at. I couldn't care less where they come from or who else has spotted them. Platt and Delaney are the stand out players we plucked from relative obscurity I can think of off the top of my head. 

If we ever get back to having a functioning team it will be nice to be able to start looking at adding the right quality to progress but if anything the last few months in the Championship have proved that the football is actually pretty dire. It is a hard league to get out of. but to be fair you don't have to be that good to rise to the top end of the table. What is doing for us at the moment is that we keep running into these pesky 11 man units that work together to nullify us.

The idea that we need to resign a bunch people who, for whatever reason, have already decided they didn't want to play for Aston Villa anymore is just wrong. Not to point out that we have an Ashley clone in Grealish who is only good for winning free kicks already, Every midfielder we have is just as good at Delph at missing the target with a wild shot or not passing to his teammates, and Cleverley was just impotent until he decided he didn't want to come to us and started playing towards the end of the year while he was in the shop window so to speak. Exactly the mercenary attitude we would do well to avoid.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Farlz said:

So Cissokho has joined Olympiakos on loan with an option to buy. We now only have 1 [highly sought after] left back..

Indeed.  Slightly odd.  Obviously you'd hope it'll all make sense once the window has closed, but it does leave us exposed in the meantime.  Relying on the likes of Baker to fill in as emergency left back is precisely what messes up the rest of the side in that event.

16 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

Unfortunately the mercenary attitude is now part and parcel of the game I feel. Just look at Payet at West Ham and Costa at Chelsea this week.

I agree, and we have to be realistic. The days of Steve Bull and Matt LeTissier are long gone. And I'm getting into 'jumpers for goalposts' territory I know. But as we all know from our own lives and workplaces, attitude and application are the key ingredients to any real success.