Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

4 minutes ago, vreitti said:

My god that was scrappy and dull, but we won. If this is the new norm, I'm fine with that, as it would entail promotion at the end of the season. Just don't think we'll be able to grind out results consistently playing this way.

Amavi was garbage btw.

This is comedy irony right?

6 minutes ago, vreitti said:

My god that was scrappy and dull, but we won. If this is the new norm, I'm fine with that, as it would entail promotion at the end of the season. Just don't think we'll be able to grind out results consistently playing this way.

Amavi was garbage btw.

That he was.  Hopefully the potential suitors weren't watching.

1 minute ago, vreitti said:

Nope. Like I said, I'm fine with result, but the performance wasn't good enough, not even close. And yes I'm aware it was a meaningless preseason game. We will struggle against Hull playing this way IMHO.

Fab, I am looking forward to when you are fine with promotion. 

Well still only preseason, but the entire squad, with the youngsters added, does look a lot stronger and meaner. Rid us of Hutton and maybe Richards retires and we are better still. 

34 minutes ago, supermon said:

We're usually a 45minute team anyway, no wonder this format suited us. Hope we can translate this to the full 90, too many times last year we started the half too slow 

Maybe if they give us a hour break in between halves, we'll be okay? :)

He has put an extremely strong squad together and made some very good signings in both January and this summer. That is only half the job though and he now has to get the best out of it. I am confident he will.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

He has put an extremely strong squad together and made some very good signings in both January and this summer. That is only half the job though and he now has to get the best out of it. I am confident he will.

Today were the first sort of competitive games with the squad almost complete - the other games seemed to be more about routine fitness, whereas today we were going for it more. 

I'm not the kind to read too much into friendlies but I'm feeling optimistic about this season and I really like that Bruce seems to be giving the youngsters a chance to stake a claim. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Today were the first sort of competitive games with the squad almost complete - the other games seemed to be more about routine fitness, whereas today we were going for it more. 

I'm not the kind to read too much into friendlies but I'm feeling optimistic about this season and I really like that Bruce seems to be giving the youngsters a chance to stake a claim. 

I think a few of them will really emerge this season and make themselves undroppable......Steve will now be introducing them in to a stable team.

Edited by TRO

Just now, TRO said:

I think a few of them will really emerge this season and make themselves undroppable.

Green especially IMO. The thing that I really noticed about the kids that we played today was how much more effort they put in and desire they have have compared to Grealish. The latter has a lot of talent but I really don't know if he'll ever make it because he's just a bit too cool for school. 

11 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Green especially IMO. The thing that I really noticed about the kids that we played today was how much more effort they put in and desire they have have compared to Grealish. The latter has a lot of talent but I really don't know if he'll ever make it because he's just a bit too cool for school. 

Very impressed with doyle-hayes too. So composed on the ball for one so young. Bruce has bought well in the summer. Can't be underestimated the presence of having terry on the pitch and in the dressing room. Huge. Compare to last summer and i wont slate elphick because the lads seems a genuinely nice bloke but he was a nervous wreck. Had zero confidence in his own game so how could he manage a defensive line. Coming back to terry i don't think he'll suffer fools like grealish too easy in a dressing room. He's not putting it in he'll hop of him I'm sure.

15 minutes ago, Eastie said:

The squad is strong - Bruce has bought well in January and again this summer - good times ahead at last ! 

A bit soon for that. :)

But much better performances today. Gives me some hope.

I think the youngsters will be very important this season. Some talent there, I think.

4 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

So as I've said in the match thread.

Surely the people who have written us off as garbage for losing to League 1 team, should now agree we are world beaters as we beat a Bundesliga team?

:ph34r:

:trollface:

Very bizarre actually, it seems when Bruce puts a mishmash of players together (splits squad for 2 matches with a blend of youth and experience) he finds a performance from both teams. But when he puts his "strongest xi" out then they don't seem to create anything - even against worse league one opposition.

Very encouraged today, it was actually fun watching us play again. First time I've said that in a very long time. I guess the Watford game will show us where we are at when the strongest xi play again. Plus I'm sure the German and Spanish leagues start a lot later so we will be a lot closer to match fitness than they are.

Â