Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

I think we can all again that we now have the strongest squad in the league.  I expect to see us challenging for top 2 throughout the year.  

Edit: otherwise I expect Bruce to be shown the door as soon it's clear I can't deliver top 2. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

Great to get a few wins, confidence will be massive for this side.

He knows we should be getting promoted with this squad. We probably should be winning the league bearing in mind the money spent on proven players at this level in the last 12 months.

I'm pleased wit your business this summer. Its been about bringing experience in and fine tuning an already very capable, but underperforming team. 

Quietly confident for the new season ahead. 

1 hour ago, Eastie said:

The squad is strong - Bruce has bought well in January and again this summer - good times ahead at last ! 

While I don't exactly share your optimism, he's certainly bought a lot better than his predecessor(s).

What still troubles me is I fail to see any sort of gameplan or system. It's going to be very interesting to see how we line up against Watford.

3 minutes ago, vreitti said:

While I don't exactly share your optimism, he's certainly bought a lot better than his predecessor(s).

What still troubles me is I fail to see any sort of gameplan or system. It's going to be very interesting to see how we line up against Watford.

I think the gameplay will just be organised, solid and hard to beat with goals coming from the fact we have superior players to opposition.  It will be more of a pragmatic approach. to winning games however it takes. 

20 minutes ago, sidcow said:

showing things are coming together, players are cohesive and we have a system.

So this isn't something we should aspire to do then, in your opinion?

• Confused 3

6 minutes ago, vreitti said:

So this isn't something we should aspire to do then, in your opinion?

Of course they are things we should aspire to. I didn't say we shouldn't? 

So, in a pre season friendly we play 4-4-2 with 3 grafters and one player in midfield and a midfielder as one of the strikers.

It's going to be a long hard season to continue to moan about Steve Bruce's tactics and wanting us to play free flowing attacking football. I have lost any hope I had left of this, so I will just have to accept that we will be a defensive, grafting, hard to beat team. I will try to start enjoying it and see the beauty in the excellence of defending.

10 minutes ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

So, in a pre season friendly we play 4-4-2 with 3 grafters and one player in midfield and a midfielder as one of the strikers.

It's going to be a long hard season to continue to moan about Steve Bruce's tactics and wanting us to play free flowing attacking football. I have lost any hope I had left of this, so I will just have to accept that we will be a defensive, grafting, hard to beat team. I will try to start enjoying it and see the beauty in the excellence of defending.

If Bruce has us winning games I doubt you will care. 

29 minutes ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

We played with two different teams with a few kids in both. Once again, it's preeeseason. 

• Like 2

Well I based my conclusion on the fact that we have played that way for 10 months now, regardless of players, formation or opponents, not on today's game :-)

But I wasn't beeing sarcastic, I actually am going to try to see the beauty in beeing a solid, structured, hard to beat side. I want to be positive and enjoy seeing us play and will focus on how good we are defensively instead of moaning about the lack of attacing play. 

2 minutes ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

Well I based my conclusion on the fact that we have played that way for 10 months now, regardless of players, formation or opponents, not on today's game :-)

But I wasn't beeing sarcastic, I actually am going to try to see the beauty in beeing a solid, structured, hard to beat side. I want to be positive and enjoy seeing us play and will focus on how good we are defensively instead of moaning about the lack of attacing play. 

I'm not being sarcastic either.......the attacking play will come......I have no doubt.

we will start the season tight and grow in to it getting gradually more attack minded on the back of points gathered.....when the momentum from results gathers pace we will morph in to a more progressive outfit.

The grand old football saying " you have to win the right to play football" is exactly what Steve Bruce has been trying to do since he took over.

We will be ok.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Edit: otherwise I expect Bruce to be shown the door as soon it's clear I can't deliver top 2. 

So you want Bruce to get the sack for your failure! :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I think we have a decent squad now. Possibly still lacking some creativity, but if we allow Lansbury and Hourihane to play further up the pitch then we should have enough to create more and better quality chances. 

Probably the most important thing we've added is confidence and experience. Largely in the form of John Terry who has experienced only success in his career and I believe he's come here to try to experience more success. If that rubs off on the squad, and there's no reason to believe it won't, then we could have a great season. 

The squad is in place, we just have to use it properly now. 

• Like 3

I think its fair to say.. lets see what happens in 2 months and go from there. Judging too early in the pre season.. win or loss... let the real stuff begin. 

He gave a chance to a few kids who have impressed.. i doubt he will give them a go unless we have a few injuries.. but good to see. 

We havent played 352 as yet.. which is also positive.. surely with the back 4 we have.. we dont need it.. We arent Cardiff City hoping to scrap it. We should look to dominate. 

I hope he doesnt pull out the 352 vs HUll when we have been training something else this whole pre season!

46 minutes ago, KSV said:

We should look to dominate. 

This is absolutely key for me concerning Villa this coming season. Bruce has the squad but is he courageous enough to do it?

1 minute ago, striker said:

This is absolutely key for me concerning Villa this coming season. Bruce has the squad but is he courageous enough to do it?

Yes because now he has the squad and there can be no excuses .

Â