Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

I think we will be solid, hard to beat, find our feet mid season and finish strong. I don't expect automatic promotion, but I think we should end the season the best team in the championship. I hope it means we gain promotion, but it will turn the corner for the club and we will start to look forward putting this dark period behind us. 

We have the strongest Championship squad. We have the best ground, best away following and we are the biggest club in the Championship by some distance. I think our stars are finally aligning.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Is my memory going or was the Villa v Brighton game not televised?

it wasnt televised on Sky but it was available for streams online because I remember watching it :(

3 hours ago, thunderball said:

I think we will be solid, hard to beat, find our feet mid season and finish strong. I don't expect automatic promotion, but I think we should end the season the best team in the championship. I hope it means we gain promotion, but it will turn the corner for the club and we will start to look forward putting this dark period behind us. 

We have the strongest Championship squad. We have the best ground, best away following and we are the biggest club in the Championship by some distance. I think our stars are finally aligning.

I am sorry from your comments the bit in bold should be a guarantee and anything less is a management failure

I just watched the highlights of it. We had some excellent chances in the first half with Lansbury and Hogan really should have done much better. A couple of defensive mistakes seemed to be their only chances and goal. 

From what I remember the Brighton game had some real positives with Lansbury and Hourihane both getting much further forward. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

I just watched the highlights of it. We had some excellent chances in the first half with Lansbury and Hogan really should have done much better. A couple of defensive mistakes seemed to be their only chances and goal. 

From what I remember the Brighton game had some real positives with Lansbury and Hourihane both getting much further forward. 

At the time I said it was one of the best performances of the season, which is why I don't believe the OP.

The signings have been pretty good, I would have liked to have seen a more attacking central midfielder and a winger come in mind. Last season we were a win or lose team, Bruce's win ratio was decent enough, but the loss ratio was very poor. We have bought in more experienced, 'solid' players who should be able to help us grind out more wins or at least, more draws, rather than losses. 

We certainly do need our creative players to deliver more, we didn't get anywhere near enough out of the likes of Grealish and Hourihane. They need to step up and Bruce needs to change his tactics to being more positive, rather than sitting too deep. 

We need to target automatic promotion this season. Of the sides who were relegated I only see Middlebrough as the one best equipped to go straight back up, Hull and Sunderland are a total mess. I do expect Wolves to be very good this season based on their signings, Fulham are making some really good moves and already have a good, settled team at this level, whilst Leeds and Sheffield Wednesday should be both at the top end come May. It won't be easy but we could be in a lot of trouble if we don't go up this season. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

On 7/21/2017 at 14:50, mykeyb said:

Well Sherwoood had his supporters in the media and in the game.

I like most fans will continue to judge him on how "his" team plays and the results they achieve. I couldnt give a flying fig if two senior players without contracts were happy to sign for either the club or the manager.

I think you will find that Conte reckons SB was made on offer to stay at Chelsea this season.......Many at Stoke wanted Whelan to stay too.

so I think Steve Bruce has done well in getting them in .....and attempting to strenghten the side.;)

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

I think this season will see a divided fan base as to whether we are playing well or not......but,Steve Bruce will have a full season to show his worth.

I see it being combative and robust as opposed to eye candy.

I think we will start off very durable and hard to beat.

as the season progresses and the results are favourable, i see us growing in to the season and the performances will get better with progress of results.

I see young players developing in this set up, where they can relax more and not have to worry about defending for their life.......I expect to see some develop towards the back end of the season.

I am looking forward to the new season, but I will not be basing those thoughts entirely on the Hull game.

Edited by TRO

Steve just about earned the pre-season and to start the season, like every manager in the Championship he will have to earn continued employment and to do that he needs results, he won't get the sack if he continues to serve up more of the same dirge he has delivered so far. If he gets the results he will be fine, if he doesn't he will be gone, that I have no doubt of.

Positives so far today. 

Defence continues to look solid. 

Elmo with a strong debut. 

Hogan looking confidence. 

I like the look of us when we have an effective player behind the striker. O'Hare doing a much better job today than others have previously. I hope it's something we stick with, giving grealish the opportunity to make that position his own. 

Green, Grealish and Elmo behind Hogan should be able to cause hull issues. 

These are the sort of positives I've wanted to see from Bruce during pre season. Let's hope he can continue to show more positives in the remaining games. 

Edited by DCJonah
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Positives so far today. 

I like the look of us when we have an effective player behind the striker. O'Hare doing a much better job today than others have previously. I hope it's something we stick with, giving grealish the opportunity to make that position his own. 

These are the sort of positives I've wanted to see from Bruce during pre season. Let's hope he can continue to show more positives in the remaining games. 

That 45 minutes was chalk and cheese in comparison with the last 2 games - created chances scored goals and looked a real threat .

Elmo looked very good and created 2 goals, o hare also looked the part and hogan looked very good too - feel lot more optimistic having seen that performance .

also steer looked decent - surely a better option than bunn.

Lets hope Bruce has found his magic formula at last .

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Positives so far today. 

Would be nice to be on the opposite side of the "ex unappreciated player comes back to haunt team" for once.

• Like 2

I think this is our best formation. 

2 wingers and an attacking midfielder. 

My worry is Jedinak or Whelan in there means we play with Lansbury and Hourihane and don't have the attacking midfield player just off the striker. 

I know we are only playing friendlies, but Jesus Christ how is Micah Richards still getting a game at centre back??? I'd rather see Bruce there! He'd have more legs than this mule

9 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

So as I've said in the match thread.

Surely the people who have written us off as garbage for losing to League 1 team, should now agree we are world beaters as we beat a Bundesliga team?

:ph34r:

:trollface:

The 6th best team in the Bundesliga, no less. 

My god that was scrappy and dull, but we won. If this is the new norm, I'm fine with that, as it would entail promotion at the end of the season. Just don't think we'll be able to grind out results consistently playing this way.

Amavi was garbage btw.

Edited by vreitti

Â