Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

The thing we have missed for years is tempo, we play so one paced that we are easy to close down and squeeze in possession and lack bite going forward.  When we do win the ball higher up the pitch, we instantly turn back and pass backwards to consolidate possession.

We need to be working on hunting the ball down in numbers then countering quickly and with purpose.  I hate to say it, but I just do not believe any of our players, it is so lacklustre that you can only really blame the coaching.  It's not hard to have a style of play and implement it.

Edited by macandally
  • Like 3

Here is the crux for me. Bruce took over a team which lacked confidence and to many people were underachieving. I dare say his brief was play-offs and at the end of 2016 he wasn't far off...............then January happened and our chances of that went. He signed players to improve us in midfield and up front so we were obviously looking at getting them to gel into a team for this season.

Now any manager of worth would at the same time start putting some kind of identity, his identity. Some style, formation whatever you will................I cannot see it and nether can some others.

Some said give him the close season and to be fair that hasn't finished yet but it's still the same football, our midfield and strikers still look shadows of their former selves. There is still no sign of players having any understanding of each others game, still too big a gap between midfield and forwards so they are easy to defend against. Still a huge lack of movement which makes it worse.

It's unlikely that you can win promotion by playing as conservatively as he sets us up for, even in a pre-season friendly against League 1 opposition.

It would be good to see something more positive against Walsall but I just don't think we will.

• Like 4

I will say this with confidence. The way a team or players play during pre season matches - especially the first ones - is in no way indicative of the way they will play in competitive matches. If our 2nd pre season match has caused people to change their opinions on Bruce then they don't understand pre season matches.

Lack of passing and moving? It's pre season, their getting their fitness up.

No cohesion in the team? It's pre season, their getting their fitness up.

Bruce defying everyone and playing Hutton and Richards at centre back? It's pre season etc etc.

Whether we win every game 5-0 or lose every game 5-0 will not dictate how our season goes, the only game you can take anything from is the final one, and even that's a stretch. It's about getting the players some match fitness and getting them used to playing with each other. Tactical work etc will be being done on the training ground, and the matches are only there so the players are ready for a competitive 90 minute match in a few weeks time, some of the over analysis and jumping to conclusions after the last game is ridiculous

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, weedman said:

I will say this with confidence. The way a team or players play during pre season matches - especially the first ones - is in no way indicative of the way they will play in competitive matches. If our 2nd pre season match has caused people to change their opinions on Bruce then they don't understand pre season matches.

Bruce defying everyone and playing Hutton and Richards at centre back? It's pre season etc etc.

Whether we win every game 5-0 or lose every game 5-0 will not dictate how our season goes, the only game you can take anything from is the final one, and even that's a stretch. It's about getting the players some match fitness and getting them used to playing with each other. Tactical work etc will be being done on the training ground, and the matches are only there so the players are ready for a competitive 90 minute match in a few weeks time, some of the over analysis and jumping to conclusions after the last game is ridiculous

will you still be saying the above "in confidence" when it all goes t*ts up?

19 minutes ago, weedman said:

All of this would be of no concern if it wasn't for the fact that we looked exactly the same way for most of last season.

I just think it's quite rare for a team to totally transform from Clark Kent to full on Superman at the flick of the switch when the season starts.

Bildresultat för superman changing clothes animated gif

Especially since the ball seem to be our Kryptonite.

Edited by sne
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

will you still be saying the above "in confidence" when it all goes t*ts up?

Yes. If it goes tits up next season it won't be because we didn't play well in our 2nd pre season game 

13 minutes ago, sne said:

All of this would be of no concern if it wasn't for the fact that we looked exactly the same way for most of last season.

I just think it's quite rare for a team to totally transform from Clark Kent to full on Superman at the flick of the switch when the season starts.

Again, the pre season game is of absolutely no consequence. Being worried about how we played last season and hoping it will change this season is fine 

1 hour ago, Cliffy Biro said:

Two of those were over a decade ago now werent they? Its a very different time. Plus has he not been utterly useless and then sacked once hes actually got into the bigger division?

And the most recent was literally only a year ago.

As long as he gets us up by hook or crook then I don't mind. Once in the top league he will be giving his chance and then if he blows it we move on.

41 minutes ago, weedman said:

If they cant pass and move at this stage of their career,fit or not,i would suggest they take up brick laying for a career.

• Like 4

On top of what others have said about pre-season, another thing to remember is that the players naturally won't be giving the same level of energy/urgency in pre-season as they would in real season. Another difference is that some players won't go flying into challenges for a game that means nothing. I'm not saying players will only give 50%, but you're less likely to see a player busting a gut to track back, in the way that they would when the game actually means something. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, sne said:

Logically, in pre season we should be performing much worse than in the actual season. With this in mind, if we're as bad now in pre-season as we were last season during the actual season, we 're heading in the right direction. Because it's pre-**** season!! Not even we could fail to improve on pre-season games. 

Edited by praisedmambo

1 minute ago, praisedmambo said:

Logically, in pre season we should be performing much worse than in the actual season. With this in mind, if we're as bad as we were last season during the actual season, we 're heading in the right direction. Because it's pre-**** season!!

Sure, sure..

It was against League 1 opposition thou, and they are also in pre season.

The point wasn't that we lost, but that there still are no signs of progress.

And it isn't about this game in isolation.

• Like 2

Nobody is expecting anyone to bust a gut, fly into tackles or be at peak fitness. What people are expecting to see is some idea of how the team is expecting to set up and with a style of play. Within that there will be some experimentation and swapping and changing players and some getting game time to gain fitness. But we're not seeing any change from the way we played last season and we don't look like we're trying things out, we look like we're throwing shite at the wall and seeing if any of it sticks. 

We were clueless last season and we're still clueless now. The clock is ticking and we are looking forward with our fingers crossed and hope, rather than a plan and any real expectation. 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Nobody is expecting anyone to bust a gut, fly into tackles or be at peak fitness. What people are expecting to see is some idea of how the team is expecting to set up and with a style of play. Within that there will be some experimentation and swapping and changing players and some getting game time to gain fitness. But we're not seeing any change from the way we played last season and we don't look like we're trying things out, we look like we're throwing shite at the wall and seeing if any of it sticks. 

We were clueless last season and we're still clueless now. The clock is ticking and we are looking forward with our fingers crossed and hope, rather than a plan and any real expectation. 

Best post ever.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Based on what ?

Ha ha  - I spend half the time people telling me I hate Bruce and the other half defending him !!

Fair question though - simple answer too - based on his history.

I simply can't bring myself to believe that he can't see what is staring him in the face regarding his approach, and I don't think he's stupid, so I think he will change it and because we have good players it'll all be ok.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, macandally said:

The thing we have missed for years is tempo, we play so one paced that we are easy to close down and squeeze in possession and lack bite going forward.  When we do win the ball higher up the pitch, we instantly turn back and pass backwards to consolidate possession.

We need to be working on hunting the ball down in numbers then countering quickly and with purpose.  I hate to say it, but I just do not believe any of our players, it is so lacklustre that you can only really blame the coaching.  It's not hard to have a style of play and implement it.

I keep going back to that Brentford game when they slaughtered us but the difference in coaching from Bruce and Smith was night and day . When they had the ball they're movement was excellent,  everything on the floor with the ball, so much energy and the sheer savagery they hunted us with when they didn't have the ball. Think this job will be vacant in October / November time and Smith, not just based on that game, has to be given serious consideration. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Dead right.

It's odd, how Kidderminster were trying things , same as us.  So were Shrewsbury.

And both looked like they had inferior quality players. Which is backed up by respective Leagues.

Yet both liked more clued up on who was supposed to do what, both had far less gap between midfield and front players, both had runners going past the front men.

Very Odd.

The only thing I would say is it did look like it meant a bit more to those teams, which is understandable playing us...............so that might account for a bit............but not  for much.

2 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Ha ha  - I spend half the time people telling me I hate Bruce and the other half defending him !!

I simply can't bring myself to believe that he can't see what is staring him in the face regarding his approach, and I don't think he's stupid, so I think he will change it and because we have good players it'll all be ok.

You think he'll change it. I think you want to believe he'll change it. Hand on heart you can't say with confidence that he will. He has implemented nothing in terms of style, structure.  Absolute myth that he made us defensively better last season. We conceded as many and with the same clumsiness as when RDM was there. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, terrytini said:

I'd really like to agree with this. Then again going by this logic, surely he must've realized these problems with his approach ages ago. Therefore I have severe difficulty understanding how come he didn't look to fix it already at the latter stages of last season?

• Like 2

Â