Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

I think the problem is people including myself have made their mind up on Bruce. He has had 35 games already in charge and football was awful, not really a massive improvement on the previous manager except maybe a tighter defence. the derby victory might have just saved him a few extra games

Also he signed 4 of the best players in the division from the 1st half of season and amazingly all lost their form in the Bruce set-up

5 hours ago, TRO said:

• Steve Bruce is actually very popular with his peers, they must know a decent manager

Wow that ranks right up there with the fabled 4 promotions........

I did expect that if you were right about him we would have seen some kind of basic plan in place but really it was just more of the same. 

I do think we have possibly missed an opportunity to build properly over the summer with a new manager, have we really got to the point where we need a good performance against Hull.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, TRO said:

If i was a player, i would imagine the worst manager in the world would not get me to abandon my skills and more importantly the basics of the game.

Its my dna, its my talent at stake.

I hear the steve Bruce dissenters (and i have empathy with them)and to be fair no fan can unconditionally support him forever...but i seen things in that game that tell me its them as opposed to him.

It could be a bit of both, but on that showing, some of them players worry me.

If he does fail and he if he is replaced and if the new manager actually gets performances out of these players then someone will have to eat humble pie.

Yes that's a lot of its but realistically we were only going to bring in 3 or 4 players which was never going to be enough if the players are sub-standard.

I believe they players are good enough and if they are played in the right formation, with the right tactics the results will prove that. The only question is will it be Bruce?

Something that I notice is the number of touches our players have which slows our game down immensely. 1st touch = receive the ball, 2nd touch control it, they are on their 3rd touch before they start thinking about their next move. Even Shrewsbury were playing 1 and 2 touch football yesterday. Why do our players look so inept at basics?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

Wow that ranks right up there with the fabled 4 promotions........

I did expect that if you were right about him we would have seen some kind of basic plan in place but really it was just more of the same. 

I do think we have possibly missed an opportunity to build properly over the summer with a new manager, have we really got to the point where we need a good performance against Hull.

Not necessarily an individual performance against hull, but let's says if performances are no good after 3/4 then I think a lot of the 'on the fencers' (myself included) will come down on the 'out' side. Then the pressure may increase and we will really see what Bruce is made of then.

46 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Do we have any Hull followers on here, what was the football like there when they got promoted?

Do we care if the footballs crap but it gets us up? 

They scored 69 and had a GD of plus 34 so something was very different to how we looked last season under Bruce - maybe mike phelan and Keith bertschin played a big part in coaching the attacking side of their game ? 

Something we lack is an attacking coach . 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

If he does fail and he if he is replaced and if the new manager actually gets performances out of these players then someone will have to eat humble pie.

Nobody cares about humble pie in that situation. We all just want the club to do well. 

When Di Matteo was sacked the options weren't abundant. The exciting, flavour-of-the-month managers (like Wagner) in the Championship ruled themselves out. We got Bruce who has unarguably achieved our major aim on numerous occasions (promotion obviously). It definitely made a lot of sense. 

I think it's important to embrace the fact that before Bruce came we had been shit for about 6 years with none of our players capable of doing the basics of football. Before Bruce we had won about 4 games in 45. He came in and has 15 in 36. We were bad to watch under Bruce and we were unconvincing, but even that was a vast improvement on what came before when we barely even looked professional. We began looking competitive for the first time since Sherwood's brief revival. Is that improvement enough for me? Yeah. Why? Because fixing the mess this club has been in is a big ongoing job. It is still happening, obviously. 

Without even going into the impression given at times that people have lost their heads over a pre-season friendly, I'd argue that sacking Bruce now is utter madness. We all want promotion to happen this season and Bruce will 100% have no more time than that, I believe, but he just has to have the chance to do it. He's done it many times before at many other clubs. That and the hugely mitigating circumstances of the-mess-that-was-this-club should all be enough to let him continue for now. Well, I see now people are conveniently attributing his achievements at Hull to the attacking coaches so the whole debate is yet another ludicrously polarised one. I'd consider myself firmly in the more-than-happy-to-give-Bruce-a-chance, yet-not-convinced, want-us-to-play-better-football, want-us-to-look-actually-threatening grey area, not from some black-and-white 'he's great' point of view. 

I guess all this discussion isn't going to get anywhere anyway. We'll all have to wait and see once the season is under way and of course some people are going to be wrong. I hope I'm right and I don't have to eat humble pie because that would mean another shit season for the club. The main thing is that I really hope he succeeds because I want Villa to succeed. 

• Like 3

I know it's pre-season, but I'd just like to remind everyone that Shrewsbury finished 18th in League One last year and conceded 63 goals. We managed to scrape a last minute penalty. Not exactly inspiring confidence is it?

I will take any sort of improvement against Walsall.

2 minutes ago, USA_Villa said:

I know it's pre-season, but I'd just like to remind everyone that Shrewsbury finished 18th in League One last year and conceded 63 goals. We managed to scrape a last minute penalty. Not exactly inspiring confidence is it?

I will take any sort of improvement against Walsall.

I didn't watch the game but didn't we only concede after our first choice players went off?

I think it is just as significant as us beating Telford and Kidderminister (Not really at all)

Liverpool drew 1 - 1 with Wigan and I doubt they have written off the season.

Have a look at the Premier League friendlies and you will see some of those teams have lost or drawn to much lesser teams.

1 hour ago, Tommo_b said:

Do we have any Hull followers on here, what was the football like there when they got promoted?

Do we care if the footballs crap but it gets us up? 

No, but crap football probably will not get us up.

Just remind everyone, we walked our first per-season game 4-0.

Yesterday was only our second match and totally disjointed as they can be. Let's at least complete our pre-season before we get the knives out.

For the record I think Bruce is a dead end.  It if he drags us up then that's progress and it will be a success of sorts. However even if we do get up, to be premier league standard seems a long long way away. The likely £price of being a middling team is too scary for words. I hope Tony has extremely deep pockets.

Edited by thunderball
  • Like 1

Just now, Tayls said:

People are aware that we only really lost the game once we had a CB pairing of Richards and Hutton right? 

Chill. Seriously. 

This is true , however the result in not really important - the performance with a vey strong side first half was to me more worrying than what happened in the last 30 minutes.

Lets hope it was a blip and that come august 5th we are ready to roll.

26 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I didn't watch the game but didn't we only concede after our first choice players went off?

I think it is just as significant as us beating Telford and Kidderminister (Not really at all)

Liverpool drew 1 - 1 with Wigan and I doubt they have written off the season.

Have a look at the Premier League friendlies and you will see some of those teams have lost or drawn to much lesser teams.

Agree. Result utterly irrelevant.

Everything else relevant though, to greater and lesser degrees.

Having said that- yes our first selected group went off - not that there was any suggestion they were our best players - but also most of Zhrewsburys first choice went off at the same time.

So if the result DID matter it was Shrewsbury reserves who beat us :wacko:

5 minutes ago, Tayls said:

People are aware that we only really lost the game once we had a CB pairing of Richards and Hutton right? 

Chill. Seriously. 

Hardly anyone on here or at the game is bothered that we lost.

Many on here, and EVERYBODY I heard at the game was bothered about everything else. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, TrentVilla said:

Nobody is bothered about the result, it's issues with the performance that are the concern.

I think everybody is worried due to where we left off last season.

Truth is, however, we have to take a step back and take it as a totally new season no matter how hard that may be to do.

So we have to treat it like a totally new preseason beginning, i'm confident we will get better or the games to come, and when the first XI starts coming together.

• Like 2

We still look completely void of ideas going forward, with no idea how to get Hogan into a game.

Hogan needs someone threading "through balls" for him to run onto, but we don't play with players between the lines to do that.

All in my humble opinion of course.

• Like 3

Â