Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

53 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

So we need a manager that has a record of getting AVFC promoted? Is Ron available? 

my point is/was Bruce can have a 100% promotion record for every other club. However if he doesnt get AVFC promoted from the 36 games he was in charge when the club spent a fortune in a league full of shit teams/managers & players, then he is no use whatsoever to AVFC

2 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

my point is/was Bruce can have a 100% promotion record for every other club. However if he doesnt get AVFC promoted from the 36 games he was in charge when the club spent a fortune in a league full of shit teams/managers & players, then he is no use whatsoever to AVFC

Well my point is he has another 46 whether we like it or not so we may as well hope he can make it 5 promotions. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bobzy said:

Conor Hourihane, at Barnsley, averaged the 5th most tackles of any player in the league last season - 3.2 per game.

Conor Hourihane, at Aston Villa, was nowhere near this - 1.5 per game.

He is a player who is capable of pressing, winning the ball and creating goals.  For whatever reason, we are yet to see any of this.  I'm not convinced that Conor Hourihane has suddenly forgotten what got him his move to Aston Villa.  There's a fundamental problem with the way we setup.

well, it might be a good move to twitter Conor Hourihane and ask him.

1 hour ago, Grasshopper said:

and equally, players can be playing out of their skin for their previous clubs.....its what they do for us that matters.

lets have a representative at BMH asking them.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Steve Bruce has a scatter gun approach to signings and turns over a lot of players. Steve Bruce doesn't really do tactics. Steve Bruce doesn't react to changes opposition managers make during games. Steve Bruce doesn't read games.

The above were all written by a local Sunderland journalist at the end of his time there. Sounds familiar. Leopards don't change their spots. Especially old Leopards. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Steve Bruce has a scatter gun approach to signings and turns over a lot of players. Steve Bruce doesn't really do tactics. Steve Bruce doesn't react to changes opposition managers make during games. Steve Bruce doesn't read games.

The above were all written by a local Sunderland journalist at the end of his time there. Sounds familiar. Leopards don't change their spots. Especially old Leopards. 

Steve Bruce gets teams promoted from the Championship.

That will sound familiar next season too.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

********* has a scatter gun approach to signings and turns over a lot of players. ******** doesn't really do tactics. ********** doesn't react to changes opposition managers make during games. ******** doesn't read games.

You could fill those blanks with any manager that has managed that club since they got promoted back in to the top flight. Sunderland have been a disaster for years the exact same way we have been. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

You could fill those blanks with any manager that has managed that club since they got promoted back in to the top flight. Sunderland have been a disaster for years the exact same way we have been. 

Yes but I don't care about the others I care that we have now got this particular exmanager of theirs. Look when he was appointed I didn't do cartwheels of joy, but I thought on balance he was a good pragmatic choice. But it just isn't working and there really isn't a lot of evidence to suggest it's about to start working consistently anytime soon. Bruce has always managed this way and that's how he will continue to manage. It's worked at some clubs and not at others, we are one of the clubs it hasn't worked at. 

The art of getting things right is often down to getting your timing right, to be one step ahead not one step behind. I think the club should have let him go in the summer and replaced him at a time most advantageous to us. Now if things don't improve, which is what we would all like to see, we will be playing catch up once again. We haven't been ahead of the game for years, it's about time we were and if the people running the club can't achieve that, both on and off the pitch, then Tony needs to find people who can. And quickly!

• Like 2

I am finding a problem with Bruce as manager. He is great at getting not fancied teams promoted by playing ugly negative counter attacking football.

Now... Steve.. you have John $## Terry and James Chester as your centre backs. Don't you dare revert to a 352 because YOU like it.

We have a superb defence in the championship.. A back 5 is NOT required.. And if you end up doing it anyway.. even though we haven't tried it in pre season yet.. don't play Whelan AND Jedinak in midfield. Put 2 strikers up front thinking you are having a go. We struggle creating opportunities as it is.. let alone taking off an attacker to have another defender.

I can accept having Elmo in the squad even though I think hes awful... but don't buy him so you can revert to 352.

One thing I haven't learnt..... if he does get us promoted.. we need to find a new manager to progress.

Why did he buy Bree? I feel sorry for that kid.. he was starting every week and now he wont get a look in because of Alan Hutton and Elmo. Laughable. At least once you revert to a 352.. Maybe use Bree in the back 3.. as I remember he played CB for Barnsley.

Rant over. Still hopeful he can get us promoted but with every week passing I am losing more and more confidence in him.

Glad we got Hull first up.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TRO said:

and equally, players can be playing out of their skin for their previous clubs.....its what they do for us that matters.

lets have a representative at BMH asking them.

As his press officer, maybe you could tell us

1 hour ago, DaveAV1 said:

Yes but I don't care about the others I care that we have now got this particular exmanager of theirs. Look when he was appointed I didn't do cartwheels of joy, but I thought on balance he was a good pragmatic choice. But it just isn't working and there really isn't a lot of evidence to suggest it's about to start working consistently anytime soon. Bruce has always managed this way and that's how he will continue to manage. It's worked at some clubs and not at others, we are one of the clubs it hasn't worked at. 

The art of getting things right is often down to getting your timing right, to be one step ahead not one step behind. I think the club should have let him go in the summer and replaced him at a time most advantageous to us. Now if things don't improve, which is what we would all like to see, we will be playing catch up once again. We haven't been ahead of the game for years, it's about time we were and if the people running the club can't achieve that, both on and off the pitch, then Tony needs to find people who can. And quickly!

Wyness, Round, Bruce & Calderwood out?

3 hours ago, TRO said:

well, it might be a good move to twitter Conor Hourihane and ask him.

What? You've said we don't have players in midfield that can win the ball. I've just shown that we do. 

Now I need to tweet Conor Hourihane? lol

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

Wyness, Round, Bruce & Calderwood out?

That would probably be excessive and incredibly disruptive, so no. But my point is everyone should be accountable. If, as is looking increasingly likely, SB doesn't improve us in the foreseeable future, then the later two will be gone. Then all eyes will be on the former two. If they demonstrate that there is a plan in place and appoint a manager that can work towards fulfilling that plan both short and medium term, then I'd think most fans would be happy. If their answer is the same old grab whoever is available that has PL and/or Championship experience, like David Moyes for example, then senior management wise we'd be no better off than the Lerner era. And that really would be depressing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaveAV1 said:

That would probably be excessive and incredibly disruptive, so no. But my point is everyone should be accountable. If, as is looking increasingly likely, SB doesn't improve us in the foreseeable future, then the later two will be gone. Then all eyes will be on the former two. If they demonstrate that there is a plan in place and appoint a manager that can work towards fulfilling that plan both short and medium term, then I'd think most fans would be happy. If their answer is the same old grab whoever is available that has PL and/or Championship experience, like David Moyes for example, then senior management wise we'd be no better off than the Lerner era. And that really would be depressing. 

Wyness and Round are both big admirers of Moyes having worked closely with him - wouldn't be at all surprised if Moyes was the next taxi on the rank should Bruce fail . 

Please not Moyes he has proven himself to be rubbish now.......sooner stick with SB

Cannot even believe that we are discussing SB exit after a couple of friendlies.!

If after the first 10 games things are no different I am sure there will be changes.....there will HAVE to be changes. Now what those will be who knows, but SB and coaching staff will be under pressure .

If I were a manager and needed to recruit someone who could touch type I would not expect to have to teach that person once I employed, them how to type....they would know how to type. So why are footballers any different?. It has to be a case of poor coaching, poor (or lack of tactics/game plan) or not using the players correctly or all of these factors.

I would hardly expect the typist in my example to have to clean the drains if its not a skill they have...

Regards to all on this great forum!

Del

1 hour ago, Eastie said:

Wyness and Round are both big admirers of Moyes having worked closely with him - wouldn't be at all surprised if Moyes was the next taxi on the rank should Bruce fail . 

Can't see that myself.

But let's stick to Bruce please folks unless there is a vacancy.

• Like 1

I think whatever side of the fence you sit on at the moment, the club have built this season up so much as promotion or bust, that Bruce will have to hit the ground running, I don't imagine he'll get much time if we aren't up there from the get go.

Not being an admirer of Steve Bruce as a football manager to be fair to him, he has been frugal in the transfer market with the exception of Hogan which is to be commended.

He has, on paper, improved the squad while not spending a lot so if he does gain promotion this season then despite the standard of football on show so far he will have put Villa on a better financial footing steadying the ship so to speak while trying to rid Villa of the dross signed in recent seasons.

If Villa struggle in the opening games of the season however and are hovering in and around mid table with no improvement in performances then he will be sacked but considering the above he will have contributed to stabilising the club which will make it much easier for any new manager coming in to be more successful.

That's as positive and balanced as I can be at the moment about him as Villa manager.

• Like 2

Â