Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

Wow, after viewing several forums it appears this appointment has split the fan base around 60/40 and that will no doubt turn very nasty when the going gets tough. 

Although i think he will get us up within 2 years, I think any appointment that has the potential to cause mass unrest and split the fan base on a large volume is not a healthy one. 

Good Luck Steve, You're gonna need it!

Edited by Kingman

Welcome Steve!

It will be nice to have a manager who's actually managed another team before and knows how to set a team up. It's been a while.

Why are people so obsessed with what might happen; at the moment all outcomes are equally possible. Just enjoy the ride, support your team and don't make problems or worries that don't exist yet.

• Like 3

So I wonder how long it is before he says the players are unfit and has to put them on extra training. Seems every new manager at vp says that.

Also wonder if Clarke will stay on as his assistant. His previous assistant at hull Phelan, is unlikely to step down as he is the manager there

7 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

So I wonder how long it is before he says the players are unfit and has to put them on extra training. Seems every new manager at vp says that.

I don't think this is a Villa thing, you hear it a lot at all clubs. It allows the manager to buy themselves a bit of time before the knives come out.

Best appointment we could have made at this level. Proven record of getting clubs out of this division which is currently our main objective.

I think a large section of Villa fans are currently in denial of the situation out club is currently in. Looking ahead to next season in the Premiership or 5 years pushing for Champions League is just stupid at this stage.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Richard said:

Appallingly bad appointment . We are going nowhere as a club. Top five in a few years is utter bollox clearly .

i see loads saying lets get behind him, no thanks I am not behind the manager.  I am behind the club and IMO this appointment will not benefit the club one bit. Retrograde totally retrograde .

poor poor decision this and for me another poor decision which raises doubts about those running the club. 

I appreciate that this will not be a post some people will find favour with and there will be those quoting this and having a go at it and will produce lots of likes for them having a go at it, but I don't give a shit about that. In my opinion this is a crap appointment and although I am not saying Bruce out , I am saying Bruce should never have been in.

the thing is you cant argue with that record richard, not many people available that have that on their CV

Villa recent record in league - 50 games won 1. 19th in the Championship

Bruce championship record - 138 games. Won 74 (54%). Drawn 26 Lost 38. 4 promotions

Bruce was not my first choice, BUT he is more than qualified to do what is needed here and he will have my support until he leaves.  For the fans foreseeing dull, turgid, dismal football and calling him a shit manager, take another look at our record in the last couple of years and then look again at what Bruce has done in this league.  If you want the best for this club you should be backing him and the team 100% because (a) it's done and (b) that win ratio of his could just get us in the play-offs, however unlikely. I am so tired of going to matches, watching poor football and losing.  I welcome Bruce with open arms and can’t wait to watch some dull, organized winning football.

• Like 1

Not sure where I lie on this one.

I'm concerned about his past in walking out on the club or eventually grinding to a halt and being shifted....

... but I'm equally concerned about signing another fresh face only to see a repeat of our last 4 managers (Lambert, Sherwood, Garde, RDM).

So I guess I'll give him some time to see if he does any good with this squad (what a novel idea!). Picking a team with more than 1 midfielder would be a good start.

His managerial stats show a decline in every job he has had other than Hull where he managed to get  into the low 40%.

Its an easy choice to make from our owner but its not going to build anything lasting and I'm dreading his old tried and tested players coming in.

Sorry but its the wrong appointment at the wrong time, a few poor results and Villa Park will become just as hostile as it always has been for Mr Spud and his Blues entourage.

Dr you have the wrong Directors and/ or the wrong advice, your paying people lots of money to make decisions and their just taking the easy choice, on paper. Were now 3 seasons away from even a chance of premier league football. UTV 

• Like 1

McLeish was a lot worse.....we knew he was crap before he came. Blues fans thought it was funny and both sets of fans knew he would fail!

Steve Bruce on the other hand is likely to succeed! This will be different.....

Test will come when he loses a couple of matches.

Good luck Potato Head :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gary Thomas said:

Richard I think my view has been quite aligned with yours as to what kind of manager we should appoint, but the bit in bold is plain wrong and I am surprised someone of your obvious intelligence could hold such an extreme and misguided view.  I have no interest in debating the pros and cons of Bruce - we have all had our say and the decision has been made.  Time for us all - me included - to get in line and back the owner, board, manager and players for the good of the club.

'Head' rarely beats 'Heart' in fan forums.

Â