Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

3 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

I agree @TRO winning games is the only pretty thing that matters now, if we have to goal line scramble our way up I'd take that. Nothing can be as bad as last year... and I take some solace in that.

We can always play sexy football after we have got the basics back.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

We can always play sexy football after we have got the basics back.

Still, I would rather we played basic football and brought sexy back.

• Like 1

I am very happy about this appointment. We are crying out for someone like Bruce to come in and sort things out.  He knows the league, he knows how to get the best out of players and he will improve our league position. Yes long term it may not be the best option but we need to get back up this year or next otherwise we risk not being in the PL for a very long time. Bruce is the man to do it I believe. He has always been respectful of Villa and comes across as a likeable guy to me.

• Like 3

Bearing in mind no one has a crystal ball....so no one can be sure of the outcome.

However, I feel sure I know whats wrong with us at the moment and (equally feel sure some fans would disagree)

On that basis....I am pleased that Steve Bruce has been appointed.

I feel confident he will identify and address our shortcomings that we can move on and start winning games.....the bit I am unsure about as always,is how long that takes.

32 minutes ago, picicata said:

You can't always get what you want
But if you try sometimes well you just might find
You get what you need

Makes me want to watch Californication now!

4 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Love an analogy me - RDM spoke a lot about knocking the house down and putting in new foundations. Trouble was RDM was more an interior designer than a builder - Bruce looks like a builder ergo we are in good, rough and unmanicured hands.

Judging by his formations, it was like he was applying feng shui to the pitch.

To be honest it's virtually impossible to pick a manager that is going to have any sort of guaranteed long term tenure at any football club. Barring Fergie and Wenger... and perhaps Moyes at Everton, no one else has any sort of long term success in the English top flight. Even Mourinho, Mancini, Pellegrini, and other huge names last a few years at most and that's it. If it was easy to predict it would happen more often.

• Like 2

I really feel underwhelmed by this appoint. To me Bruce is uninspiring and average. I've honestly never seen anything in any of his teams, tactics- or otherwise to suggest he knows all that much about football. Like many on here, I too get it, he's been in this situation before, and he's managed to get teams promoted. Great. Still, it's nothing more than a short-term solution imho. I would have hoped for a little bit more from our new owner. 

• Like 3

Hull were decent last year but they had a very good squad for this level.

We do too except for our midfield, so I'd imagine that will be the first thing Bruce will turn to in January.

I'm not expecting miracles but top 6 isn't out of reach.

We need to be careful with him in the transfer window too, he can get a bit carried away. 

2 minutes ago, vreitti said:

To me Bruce is uninspiring and average.

A huge improvement on the last few managers then. 

I've honestly never seen anything in any of his teams, tactics- or otherwise to suggest he knows all that much about football. 

Does he play 4-1-5? No? He knows more than the last few. 

Still, it's nothing more than a short-term solution imho. I would have hoped for a little bit more from our new owner. 

Terrible way of thinking that you're getting a manager for a short term gain and you'd want him gone when he's done it. But it's only a fan thing to think this way. There were people who suggested Sherwood was the same - save us and then chopped for an actual manager. He wasn't, of course, and we're worse off because of it. 

Xia thinks we'd be top 5 club in a few years. :D

He will always be Potato Head, whether he fails miserably or wins us the bloody Champions League. If he can take that as its intended and roll with it, then he'll do ok. I'll never like him, but then I don't have to, but if he does good things for Aston Villa then he'll have earned my respect.

Above all, we need to buck the recent trend and give him a fair enough crack of the whip.

Â