Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

Cant make up my mind about appointing him.  People say this is going to split the fan base, I think for some like me it splits how we feel. 

I hate to say this of myself and it's not my normal self but what Villa and football does to us.  If he struggles early on i'll probably be on his back and the opposite if he's successful. This appointment is going bring out those extremes.

Risky move by the club but as they aren't as close as us and given the other candidates is a logical choice.

9 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

We've won more than one game in our last 50 league matches haven't we?  Only a couple more, mind.

Initially did last 24 home league games - won 1.   Last 26 away league games – won 0.  After posting thought easier to just add them so you are right - won 3. Corrected it.  The point still stands though.

Edited by Gary Thomas
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Kingman said:

Wow, after viewing several forums it appears this appointment has split the fan base around 60/40 and that will no doubt turn very nasty when the going gets tough. 

Although i think he will get us up within 2 years, I think any appointment that has the potential to cause mass unrest and split the fan base on a large volume is not a healthy one. 

Good Luck Steve, You're gonna need it!

You are so right- if he does not hit the ground sprinting like crazy, just you watch it turn nasty. Doomed appointment and I just cannot understand why the club have chosen to take on a potential football and PR disaster. IMO

• Like 1

Disappointing but inevitable appointment. Hopefully he can get us into the playoffs and then when we are 3-0 up in the final Dr X. can walk down to the dugout on the 85th minute mark, sack him and then get a proper manager in for the premier league.

For the past few seasons, one of the main sore points for the club has been the manager's position. A lot of people here are saying that even if we get promoted, we should ditch him for a more "glamorous" manager. I don't agree with this, as I wouldn't want to see Villa go back to square one.

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush, if it aint broke, don't fix it....

yada yada yada

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jareth said:

For anyone who doesn't understand why he has been appointed - Bruce's 4 promotions say hi.

To be honest I think the reason he was appointed was because, 1. he was available, 2. he was seen as a "safe" option and the club didn't want to take a risk on a foreign manager that could fail just like RDM did. His track record in this league was a bonus.

Just now, villa89 said:

To be honest I think the reason he was appointed was because, 1. he was available, 2. he was seen as a "safe" option and the club didn't want to take a risk on a foreign manager that could fail just like RDM did. His track record in this league was a bonus.

Him being available wasn't a factor I can assure you.

1 minute ago, villa89 said:

Odd, I thought our number one priority was promotion and that Bruce has more promotions from the championship than any other league manager.

• Like 1

I find it odd that a lot of people against this appointment seem to base their argument on hypothetical situations where several things have to fall into place for it to happen. 

He's here to get us promoted, it's as simple as that. He's one of the most proven, successful managers we've had in at least a decade, maybe more considering the position we're in, and I don't think it's worth considering all the ifs and buts of this appointment until they actually happen. 

Things change in football day to day so there's no point talking about what might happen if we get promoted next year and he doesn't do well in the Prem

1 minute ago, TrentVilla said:

So later this morning old potato head will become Steve Bruce as he is anointed as the latest new manager of Villa.

Can "old potato head" and "fist face"  become terms of endearment :D?

Solid appointment IMO whether you like him or not. 

Looking forward to Saturday. 

8 minutes ago, AJ said:

For the past few seasons, one of the main sore points for the club has been the manager's position. A lot of people here are saying that even if we get promoted, we should ditch him for a more "glamorous" manager. I don't agree with this, as I wouldn't want to see Villa go back to square one.

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush, if it aint broke, don't fix it....

yada yada yada

We will be going back to square one - the season after this one even if we get promoted! Not happy with this at all.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Disappointing but inevitable appointment. Hopefully he can get us into the playoffs and then when we are 3-0 up in the final Dr X. can walk down to the dugout on the 85th minute mark, sack him and then get a proper manager in for the premier league.

Oh my... and some people seriously expect top class managers to come to Villa after seeing these kind of comments from the supporters??

2 minutes ago, knoppy1987 said:

Can "old potato head" and "fist face"  become terms of endearment :D?

Solid appointment IMO whether you like him or not. 

Looking forward to Saturday. 

I've always quite liked him despite calling him these things, on the whole he was very respectful about Villa during his time managing the unwashed.

• Like 3

Like RDM before him Mr Potato Head was the easy available option. If he had still been in post at Hull how many people would have been urging Dr Tony to pay whatever it takes in compensation to prize him away from them?

4 minutes ago, skarroki said:

I find it odd that a lot of people against this appointment seem to base their argument on hypothetical situations where several things have to fall into place for it to happen. 

He's here to get us promoted, it's as simple as that. He's one of the most proven, successful managers we've had in at least a decade, maybe more considering the position we're in, and I don't think it's worth considering all the ifs and buts of this appointment until they actually happen. 

Things change in football day to day so there's no point talking about what might happen if we get promoted next year and he doesn't do well in the Prem

Really and Aston Villa become a laughing stock and a poison chalice to boot! No thank you

• Like 1

Â