Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

2 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I've always quite liked him despite calling him these things, on the whole he was very respectful about Villa during his time managing the unwashed.

My only gripe(s) was the way his players kicked grealish on his debut - and he claims he we should have had a penalty in every post match interview.

I read in the previous thread that someone said they will support the team but not the manager. How does that work in practice? Does it consist of just moaning about his every move or can it be more sinister like not asking for his autograph.  I understand fans not being happy with Bruce. I just don't get what being unhappy will actually achieve for the club or more importantly the individual. You don't have to like the appointment. You may as well accept it. 

• Like 2

Seen it written that Bruce at Hull the first time they went up automatically, they played 3-5-2 - maybe Bruce is a good choice to come in, not change things radically but get the team to stop conceding - how he does that I do not know, maybe just good old threats.

7 minutes ago, pacbuddies said:

Like RDM before him Mr Potato Head was the easy available option. If he had still been in post at Hull how many people would have been urging Dr Tony to pay whatever it takes in compensation to prize him away from them?

But why would the club not go for the manager that has one of the best records in the Championship, including 4 promotions?

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, hippo said:

My only gripe(s) was the way his players kicked grealish on his debut - and he claims he we should have had a penalty in every post match interview.

God about time we have  a manager who complains about decisions going against us to put pressure on referees. We have had what one penalty in the last 20 games? Wonder if he is going to keep Clarke?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I've always quite liked him despite calling him these things, on the whole he was very respectful about Villa during his time managing the unwashed.

Very true Trent. There are much worse people in football and not too many better. 

For Villa, it marks the tried and tested. I will hold my hands up and admit my heart wanted a Rowett/Johnson type manager but this from the outset, is a more sensible appointment.  

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

I read in the previous thread that someone said they will support the team but not the manager. How does that work in practice? Does it consist of just moaning about his every move or can it be more sinister like not asking for his autograph.  I understand fans not being happy with Bruce. I just don't get what being unhappy will actually achieve for the club or more importantly the individual. You don't have to like the appointment. You may as well accept it. 

Quite simply to quell any discontent - Brucie has to win games.

There seems a bizarre school of thought doing the rounds - that if we employed a young or overseas manager - and he didn't win games thats because he's laying foundations for the future....never quite got it myself.

Win games brucie and you will be fine !

11 minutes ago, hippo said:

I remember Villa kicking Ronaldo all over the pitch at VP to the point SAF subbed him.

10 hours ago, KSV said:

look its not ideal... but we have to remember we are 19th in the Championship.. with such a poor record in the last two seasons.. not many managers want to touch us. Bruce is experienced and is willing to take it on.. Best we can do. Im happy with it. Im just glad we dont have a young inexperienced guy in charge. We need a strong minded experienced manager to get us out of this mental issue the players have. 

It could turn out to be.

9 minutes ago, Rodders said:

For those who are particularly opposed to this appointment, I'm curious as to what those reasons are, in light of where we are right now? I can understand a lack of excitement or enthusiasm, or saying meh etc, and just generally preferring other options, but what are the reasons that have incited peculiarly dramatic language? It's not even as if he's ever said much or anything against us either. 

I admit the first time I realised he was the obvious candidate my default reaction was to feel rather underwhelmed, before coming to terms with it and realising his record might be what we need.

We need to stop thinking of trying to find the 'one true candidate' who will lead us for decades into the promised land type thinking. We need to get up first. 

I must admit, I don't get the level of opposition from some either. 

I don't even really get why he's labelled as boring. hull scored more goals than all bar 3 teams in the championship last year and the top scorers got a whopping four more. The teams he's managed have dictated his style IMO. 

Hes now at the biggest club he has managed and if the Doc is true to his word and follows form so far, he will have more backing than he's ever had. 

He's built a decent reputation managing distinctly average teams, he deserves a chance with a proper club and I think he will do really well. I just hope those so opposed are prepared to accept they were wrong if he succeeds.

Edited by wazzap24
  • Like 3

In all honesty, after the last 5 years, Adolf Hitler could be appointed with Ted Bundy and Fred West as his assistants, as long as he brings a modicum of balance and success (and hasn't been inside Katie Price!) to the squad I don't care where he's been (as long as it's not inside Katie Price!). 

Welcome to the asylum Steve...

10 minutes ago, Gillz said:

This is a sensible decision.

Uninspiring? Perhaps, but i don't want to be inspired, i want to be promoted. Bruce has done that 4 times in this league (with much worse teams than us). There is no one better qualified for the specific challenge we are facing as of this moment. 

acorns and oak trees....spot on.

Â