Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

8 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Because he saw an opportunity and he took it. 

Wednesday are a rather passive team. Tons of ability, but they don't try to impose themselves as much as others we've played recently.

Bannan was their best player, but he was sitting deep a mile away from Mile, so Bruce must have seen an opportunity there to stick two up front, trust the energy in midfield and stifle the back four.

We kick managers for not making those bold decisions in game. We should credit them when they do and it works. Wednesday had no answer to it, even before the red. 

Switching formations mid game is the sign of a decent manager not the dinosaur some claim him to be .

we need to be able to adapt and change things if needed and credit to Bruce .

• Like 4

7 hours ago, sidcow said:

It's like rain on your wedding day which is not Ironic unless you are a weather forecaster, etc

Or if your name was Sonny Spells, and you were to become Mr and Mrs Sonny Spells... that would have a certain irony.

It seems you have to explain everything in every post on here or people tend to just pick the bits they like. To be clear up I think bringing Hutton on instead of using the other players available yesterday made little difference to the result. If Bruce put Davis up front for example and kept Adomah right mid I still think we'd have won. The change in shape made us more solid as it matched theres and we beat them. If we never got the result yesterday would people still be saying playing 4 fullbacks at home was a good idea? I seem to remember Mcleish doing similar away and being slaughtered. We've 10 games or so and if we win every one it'll mean nothing by the first game of next season. Giving kids a chance is a gamble but one we can afford to do a bit. At 2 nil up at home against 10 men who do you bring on Elphick who you obviously don't Rate or a young kid to get them used to the first team? I'm happy Bruce is here and I think he'll get us up next season but I'd like us to use these remaining games to do more than grind out results I'll except that next year when results will matter. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eastie said:

Switching formations mid game is the sign of a decent manager not the dinosaur some claim him to be .

we need to be able to adapt and change things if needed and credit to Bruce .

It is indeed, so credit where it's due. I'm thrilled that we won, and equally thrilled that Bruce did good. It's only one game though, folks. If we start seeing these 'tactical masterstrokes', more often, I'm sure all his critics will pipe down, me included.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, dn1982 said:

It seems you have to explain everything in every post on here or people tend to just pick the bits they like. To be clear up I think bringing Hutton on instead of using the other players available yesterday made little difference to the result. If Bruce put Davis up front for example and kept Adomah right mid I still think we'd have won. The change in shape made us more solid as it matched theres and we beat them. If we never got the result yesterday would people still be saying playing 4 fullbacks at home was a good idea? I seem to remember Mcleish doing similar away and being slaughtered. We've 10 games or so and if we win every one it'll mean nothing by the first game of next season. Giving kids a chance is a gamble but one we can afford to do a bit. At 2 nil up at home against 10 men who do you bring on Elphick who you obviously don't Rate or a young kid to get them used to the first team? I'm happy Bruce is here and I think he'll get us up next season but I'd like us to use these remaining games to do more than grind out results I'll except that next year when results will matter. 

Although I see where you are coming from I disagree about how results can impact next season. We need to win as many games as we can from now until the end of the season so the confidence is sky high and the players have a belief they are unbeatable. This is the mindset to take in to next season. 

It would be good to give young players a chance but if it affects results then it's not worth it in my opinion. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, vreitti said:

It is indeed, so credit where it's due. I'm thrilled that we won, and equally thrilled that Bruce did good. It's only one game though, folks. If we start seeing these 'tactical masterstrokes', more often, I'm sure all his critics will pipe down, me included.

I'm not being funny, genuinely, but it's 4 wins out of 5 and one unlucky defeat. They don't have to all be 'tactical masterstroke' victories, sometimes getting it right from the very start and keeping plugging away is more than good enough. 

Lost two left wingers against Rotherham, replacing the one already injuried. He's dealing with what is it now, ELEVEN injuries? 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, dn1982 said:

Giving kids a chance is a gamble but one we can afford to do a bit. At 2 nil up at home against 10 men who do you bring on Elphick who you obviously don't Rate or a young kid to get them used to the first team? 

It's a noble sentiment, but I think you need to have the kids to do it. I don't think we do. With the possible exception of Hepburn-Murphy, I've not seen anyone in our reserve squad this year that I think is going to go on and play regularly for the first team, and I think it's unlikely for Hepburn-Murphy.

We've got some decent players coming through that are 14-15, but our youth set up had gone to pot and there's not a lot of real promise in the current group to my mind. I don't think we'd be bringing on a young kid to get them used to the first team, I don't think that we have any on the verge of becoming part of the first team.

13 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

If we've got to a stage that the only thing to be critical of if Bruce is his choice of sub when 2-0 up with 10 to go things must have improved. :)

Right now we have be some momentum, we've new players that have improved us and who are improving themselves. 

At this moment on time we can dare to be optimistic about next season.

As for developing the young players, Bruce has shown with Green he is willing to blood them in the right circumstances.

Things aren't perfect but they are the best they've been in quite some time.

We just need to keep this going and try and create some momentum to take into next season, not to mention a little confidence.

Truth, and I think we have both been on the full spectrum of wanting him in, to possibly wanting him out. lol

This time the choice of subs came off as a masterstroke even though at the time I feared the worst!

• Like 1

I was a bit unsure going into this season. I didn't think it would be 'more fun' as some suggested and a good reason to get relegated. I was excited by our spending in August but we were still well short on quality and numbers.

I do t think getting promoted would be good for us this season. Players need to gel a bit more - but next season is a different story.

Looking forward to August already...

1 hour ago, dn1982 said:

Giving kids a chance is a gamble but one we can afford to do a bit. At 2 nil up at home against 10 men who do you bring on Elphick who you obviously don't Rate or a young kid to get them used to the first team? I'm happy Bruce is here and I think he'll get us up next season but I'd like us to use these remaining games to do more than grind out results I'll except that next year when results will matter. 

He' bringing Andre Green through, he's giving game time to Keinan Davies, he's given a debut to Corey Taylor, he's bought a young Right Back in James Bree and is giving him game time clearly with the intention of bringing him through.

Just because he didn't bring a youngster on at one point in a game which you've decided was an appropriate time to do it, doesn't mean he isn't giving kids a chance.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I'm not being funny, genuinely, but it's 4 wins out of 5 and one unlucky defeat. They don't have to all be 'tactical masterstroke' victories, sometimes getting it right from the very start and keeping plugging away is more than good enough. 

Lost two left wingers against Rotherham, replacing the one already injuried. He's dealing with what is it now, ELEVEN injuries? 

Yes, I am aware of recent results and understand the current predicament in regard to injuries. As I said Bruce has done good, and long may it continue. However, I'm still unsure if we've actually turned a corner, or if it's just a 'normal' positive reaction to the bad patch from before, which you'd expect. Also as I haven't been able to watch any of our recent wins, I'm unable to comment if real progress has occurred or not. From a results perspective it's of course obvious.

2 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

The injuries may just have worked in Bruce's favour. With less players to choose from it has stopped his tinkering and as a consequence its starting to look like a team now.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, striker said:

The injuries may just have worked in Bruce's favour. With less players to choose from it has stopped his tinkering and as a consequence its starting to look like a team now.

The injuries are mostly to squad players which also is a slight consolation maybe hogan and green  apart .

i thiNk the fact hourihane lansbury and Jedi have now had a few games together has seen them gel and our midfield now looks decent .

We have the makings of a side now having  previously had a midfield as weak as piss.

2 minutes ago, Eastie said:

The injuries are mostly to squad players which also is a slight consolation maybe hogan and green  apart .

i thiNk the fact hourihane lansbury and Jedi have now had a few games together has seen them gel and our midfield now looks decent .

We have the makings of a side now having  previously had a midfield as weak as piss.

This. We have essentially our best team out there. Injuries are to average players. Happy to the kids rather than the players injured.. besides the two we lost this week and green/Hogan

3 hours ago, dn1982 said:

At 2 nil up at home against 10 men who do you bring on Elphick who you obviously don't Rate or a young kid to get them used to the first team? I'm happy Bruce is here and I think he'll get us up next season but I'd like us to use these remaining games to do more than grind out results I'll except that next year when results will matter. 

I see what you mean but the kids are only on the bench through default via injuries and not on merit. In a full strength squad they wouldn't be any where near the team. If they are showing enough in the reserves (like Green) then yes, I agree, but not just as a token gesture. 

Â