Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

4 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

I tend to judge actions over words, maybe that's just me.

That's fair enough but he did say it.

I must say I'm pleasantly surprised that he doesn't appear to have MEANT it - but it's understandable people were concerned. I was horrified !!!

I've no idea why he bothers putting 2 CB on the bench if he won't use them. It was the correct decision to move Jedinak there as bringing either of the other 2 on would've meant moving Chester but why have them on the bench though? Playing Hutton right mid is baffling. We aren't going up so why not try the kids out? Bringing on Elphick at 2 nil up to a team with 10 men was another strange decision. Positives from today are Hourihane looks the part and can play in a 2 but not much else. The football isn't good and needs to improve a lot. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Pretty sure if he had played the kids and let's just say we lost, then this thread would've been a whole lot busier. SB did what he thought he had to get the win, and we're still giving him a hard time.

I have a mug that says 'damned if you and damned if you dont', I usually pull it out when the Mrs is on one her rants but I might ship it over to SB and he can drink from it at the press conferences. 

Yeah, he's still proving to us and probably to Xia that he's the right man to lead us next year.

Throwing kids in without a care for the result is not the way to do either. He said himself we must finish top 10. He should be aiming for that.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Pretty sure if he had played the kids and let's just say we lost, then this thread would've been a whole lot busier. SB did what he thought he had to, to get the win, and we're still giving him a hard time.

I have a mug that says 'damned if you and damned if you dont', I usually pull it out when the Mrs is on one of her rants but I might ship it over to SB and he can drink from it at the press conferences. 

Bringing a kid on instead of Hutton wouldn't have been to our detriment. If we were going for the playoffs I'd be quite willing to watch us play as we did today every week if it got us the results but we aren't. We are sitting mid table with nothing riding on the games. We should be going out trying to play good football and planning for next season. Winning isn't everything at the minute. 

Just now, dn1982 said:

Bringing a kid on instead of Hutton wouldn't have been to our detriment. If we were going for the playoffs I'd be quite willing to watch us play as we did today every week if it got us the results but we aren't. We are sitting mid table with nothing riding on the games. We should be going out trying to play good football and planning for next season. Winning isn't everything at the minute. 

Sorry mate but winning is everything at the moment. We need confidence and gelling of these players for next season. The kids can show their talents in the last couple of games and pre season. However I do respect your opinion. 

1 minute ago, dn1982 said:

He tried something new with jedinak going into the back line - he's been caned by some for experimenting too much - I think Bruce managed the situation just right today .

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, dn1982 said:

Bringing a kid on instead of Hutton wouldn't have been to our detriment. 

Given Hutton was involved in our opening goal, who knows if we win the game. Or whether said kid makes a mistake at the other end. Hutton was ultimately the correct decision.

• Like 2

Just now, Villan_of_oz said:

Sorry mate but winning is everything at the moment. We need confidence and gelling of these players for next season. The kids can show their talents in the last couple of games and pre season. However I do respect your opinion. 

if the football doesn't improve the results have to remain very good or Bruce will get stick. 

25 minutes ago, dn1982 said:

I've no idea why he bothers putting 2 CB on the bench if he won't use them. It was the correct decision to move Jedinak there as bringing either of the other 2 on would've meant moving Chester but why have them on the bench though? Playing Hutton right mid is baffling. We aren't going up so why not try the kids out? Bringing on Elphick at 2 nil up to a team with 10 men was another strange decision. Positives from today are Hourihane looks the part and can play in a 2 but not much else. The football isn't good and needs to improve a lot. 

Their is noone else to put on the bench anyway.

• Like 2

Just now, kurtsimonw said:

Given Hutton was involved in our opening goal, who knows if we win the game. Or whether said kid makes a mistake at the other end. Hutton was ultimately the correct decision.

Absolutely, how is that even in question?

Hutton is in perhaps the best form of his career. It was a bold decision to play him right wing but it clearly worked, so why try and pick holes in it?

Slag him off for the things he gets wrong sure, I'll be there with you. But when Steve Bruce nails it, he nails it hard. That's why he's a success at this level.

In a day and age where managers are sacked here, there and everywhere after 10/15 games, do people really expect Bruce not to be caring about results and throwing in youngsters when he knows there is no job security and people will focus on the result rather than the development of youth?

10 years ago, maybe he would be afforded the patience and understanding but just reading this message board is enough reason to understand why he's more focused on the wins and rising the more senior players. 

A clean sheet and a win against a good side in this league and he's still getting this sort of prodding. He really can't win with some. 

Edited by Wezbid
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Eastie said:

He tried something new with jedinak going into the back line - he's been caned by some for experimenting too much - I think Bruce managed the situation just right today .

In my OP I said Jedinak going to CB was the correct decision as it stopped Chester from having to move sides that was good management but why have 2 CB on bench if that's your option? Why not give one of the kids a long run instead of putting Hutton right mid? We won and them being in 6th shows how much we've messed up this year. 

Just now, dn1982 said:

We won and them being in 6th shows how much we've messed up this year. 

OK. What relevance is that to today? Or even to Bruce, who took over a team in the relegation zone. For reference.

I've had my doubts, he has crushed them. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

The football has improved. Undoubtedly. The winning only serves to highlight it

4 from 5. 

Results have improved undoubtedly. As for the performances would you class today as good? Just want to know for the benchmark for future improvements. 

17 minutes ago, dn1982 said:

Disagree entirely with the boldest part. Bree was initially struggling and they were in a lot space of in their left. The move to bring Hutton on nullified their threat, as well as creating an outlet for us.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dn1982 said:

In my OP I said Jedinak going to CB was the correct decision as it stopped Chester from having to move sides that was good management but why have 2 CB on bench if that's your option? Why not give one of the kids a long run instead of putting Hutton right mid? We won and them being in 6th shows how much we've messed up this year. 

Why not let Hutton have a game - he's in good form and deserves to play - the kids will get their chance soon enough - I'm sure Bruce watches reserve games and is aware of their potential .

we are in the business of winning games and he is doing that right now- had he brought on a kid and we went on to lose the knockers would be out in force .

sometimes he just can't win !

Edited by Eastie
  • Like 3

Â