Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

3 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

You mean, we can't play a superb, flowing possession game with 3 fit midfielders, one of them being at centre back and the other a backup player?

No, what I mean ......He has had a major problem with the physicality of this team and has probably been focussed on getting that right, when he has, he moves onto the next problem.......We have had loads to fix and still do have work to do.

Unable to watch Sheff Weds.  Delighted with the results.  No complaints.

I do have questions though.  They really are honest questions, just trying to understand when I couldn't see.

If you start with a 4-3-3, persist with a 4-3-3 through a pre-match injury (Gardner for Lansbury), why do you switch to a 4-4-2 when Baker goes down?

Why, when for weeks on end, our CB's couldn't defend without Jedinak providing cover for them, could they seem to work when it's Jedi and Chester.  Based on the posts here, it doesn't look at all like Gardner sat in that Jedi role and covered, and to be honest, I'm not sure I've seen him play that role well.  So, what was working?

Again, delighted that it all worked.  No complaints, I tend to be a bit analytical and want to understand.

2 hours ago, srsmithusa said:

I do have questions though.  They really are honest questions, just trying to understand when I couldn't see.

If you start with a 4-3-3, persist with a 4-3-3 through a pre-match injury (Gardner for Lansbury), why do you switch to a 4-4-2 when Baker goes down?

Why, when for weeks on end, our CB's couldn't defend without Jedinak providing cover for them, could they seem to work when it's Jedi and Chester.  Based on the posts here, it doesn't look at all like Gardner sat in that Jedi role and covered, and to be honest, I'm not sure I've seen him play that role well.  So, what was working?

Again, delighted that it all worked.  No complaints, I tend to be a bit analytical and want to understand.

I didn't watch either but I would surmise, Jedinak is really the backbone of the team.

Doesn't matter where he plays, he reads the play like no other and is able to physically impose himself into crucial positions on the pitch. 

But then I am Jedi's love child

Edited by Villan_of_oz
  • Like 3

52 minutes ago, GrassyNoel said:

Marxist football! It's the future! 

Well we all know that it is really down to the means of production so the only thing that matters is our owner- until he is overthrown by the proletariat/fans when the revolution comes. Well that is what I am hanging onto after the events of 2016.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, srsmithusa said:

Again,delighted that it all worked.  No complaints, I tend to be a bit analytical and want to understand.

Obviously can't speak for Bruce, I'd guess he stuck with the 433 despite Lansbury's injury as it has been getting results recently so he didn't want to change the team too much. 

Gardner has a lot more energy than Jedi, so he wasn't effectively sitting, he was pressing around the pitch more. 

The change in formation restricted SW, they lost momentum and where they were picking up space out wide (especially down their left), this was nullified. Jedi was winning every header, like he does when sitting in midfield, so at cb he was effectively playing the same but playing a bit deeper than normal.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, NottingVilla said:

We were shit again by all accounts and got lucky with a homer ref.

Why doesn't this surprise me?

You are way to early for this. April 1st is over 2 weeks away yet. 

Excellent comedy though. Well done,  just peaked too soon. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dn1982 said:

Your whole point was the impact Hutton had. The change in system made the impact. No matter who came on it would've been the same. 

What an utter load of tripe. 

I have been a huge critic of Hutton. Read my comments on his thread but the reason this game went our way today is because ALAN HUTTON came on right midfield and changed the whole complexion of the game after Adomah had done almost nothing out there. He was brilliant today and he deserves every credit for his performance as does Bruce for doing what he did. 

I expected Elphick to come on and wondered what the hell Bruce was doing but it worked to almost perfection. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I'm not trying to be prickly but what's the irony? 

It's like rain on your wedding day which is not Ironic unless you are a weather forecaster, etc

• Like 3

4 hours ago, dn1982 said:

Your whole point was the impact Hutton had. The change in system made the impact. No matter who came on it would've been the same. 

I'd disagree with this - Hutton had an impact before he even touched the ball, it was a strange substitution - in the ground it felt like we were bringing Messi on, I had to check twice in case he was behind Hutton. There was a noticeable change in the atmosphere - he came on to a hero's welcome - it put the frighteners on Wednesday and filled him with confidence. It was odd, but it happened, and it changed the game.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, TRO said:

No, what I mean ......He has had a major problem with the physicality of this team and has probably been focussed on getting that right, when he has, he moves onto the next problem.......We have had loads to fix and still do have work to do.

I was agreeing with you mate, sarcasm isn't so effective on the net

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kurtsimonw said:

I was agreeing with you mate, sarcasm isn't so effective on the net

Sorry.....yeah it's hard to pick up with no body language or expression.

Â