Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, TheStagMan said:

FFS that is a schoolboy error. Real basic mistake. I wonder why the ref didn't say something. Someone could get hurt!

The boots they wear these days offer less protection than an Aston Villa defence anyway. 

Just now, USA_Villa said:

A small part of the Guardian article when Bruce got fired from Sunderland ......... Seems like history is repeating itself all over again.

If he failed to cut it as a tactician, the 50-year-old did not seem much of a strategist either. Including loans, 30 players were signed – several of whom have subsequently been moved on – during Bruce's two-and-a-half years on Wearside. That represents an unsettling "churn" factor and hardly proved conducive to developing either a clear playing philosophy or strong team spirit.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2011/nov/30/steve-bruce-sunderland-sacked

I and others have posted the link to that article 12 months plus ago and we were told to give Bruce a chance...................

He has had his chance, been backed and has not apparently not changed at all. 

We are just wasting time letting him stay in charge any longer.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Junxs said:

Worth noting also that Sheffield United were in league one when Bruce took over at villa with a fraction of the budget.. Joke of a performance 

That is quite damning. 

The spine of the team last season was Johnson Terry Chester Snodgrass Grealish and Kodja.

They are/were big characters. noisy boys in the dressing room.

The replacements don't have the same charisma.

Johnson not signing was Xia's **** up.

Terry was a board decision. I don't know about Snodgrass.

But in football it's crucial to keep hold of your core players. Remember what happened when we lost Vlaar Delph Cleverly and Benteke?

Bruce will take some responsibility by not replacing these guys with like for like characters. Johnson should have been replaced with an experienced keeper like Ruddy or Joe Hart.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Junxs said:

Worth noting also that Sheffield United were in league one when Bruce took over at villa with a fraction of the budget.. Joke of a performance 

yeah but Sheffield United have a system though and any player signing has to fit it. We lack this crucially

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Cliffy Biro said:

This is such nonsense though, Liverpools strength is not that they are deluded its actually one of their worst qualities and why they are so hated. Theres a difference between dreaming big and being totally deluded. I get the point you are trying to make but its a very naive one. 

Why is it naive? Surely it is naive to ask someone to do something that they have never done before and expect them to do it well. We are beyond risk taking. I accept that each appointment is a risk but it is the job of the exec to mitigate that risk as much as possible. Appointing a man with no experience of fulfilling the objectives of the club is not risk mitigation, it is madness!

Come on. You are an oak. Of course you are....because you are a Villan. We don’t want/need Dean Smith. We need Pep Guardiola. Let’s make it happen. Oak

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, USA_Villa said:

A small part of the Guardian article when Bruce got fired from Sunderland ......... Seems like history is repeating itself all over again.

If he failed to cut it as a tactician, the 50-year-old did not seem much of a strategist either. Including loans, 30 players were signed – several of whom have subsequently been moved on – during Bruce's two-and-a-half years on Wearside. That represents an unsettling "churn" factor and hardly proved conducive to developing either a clear playing philosophy or strong team spirit.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2011/nov/30/steve-bruce-sunderland-sacked

Noooo he must say he gives us stability..........

3 minutes ago, screwdriver said:

The spine of the team last season was Johnson Terry Chester Snodgrass Grealish and Kodja.

They are/were big characters. noisy boys in the dressing room.

The replacements don't have the same charisma.

Johnson not signing was Xia's **** up.

Terry was a board decision. I don't know about Snodgrass.

But in football it's crucial to keep hold of your core players. Remember what happened when we lost Vlaar Delph Cleverly and Benteke?

Bruce will take some responsibility by not replacing these guys with like for like characters. Johnson should have been replaced with an experienced keeper like Ruddy or Joe Hart.

He has many faults but I struggle to find much wrong here.

You mention 6 players. 3 are still here, Mcginn has replaced Snodgrass and has shown himself to be at least as tenacious, and more skilful. 

Theres been few players as motivational or inspirational as JT in the last 20 years, he was irreplaceable.

Which leaves a goalie. On that i agree Bruce should’ve got an experienced keeper - but we don’t know if it’s his fault we didn’t, we only got funds at a very late stage.

Jedi would perform better at CB with a good GK, and the GK would perform better with a good CB ! Other than that, there’s very little wrong with our personnel that a decent bit of coaching wouldn’t address.

6 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

Why is it naive? Surely it is naive to ask someone to do something that they have never done before and expect them to do it well. We are beyond risk taking. I accept that each appointment is a risk but it is the job of the exec to mitigate that risk as much as possible. Appointing a man with no experience of fulfilling the objectives of the club is not risk mitigation, it is madness!

Come on. You are an oak. Of course you are....because you are a Villan. We don’t want/need Dean Smith. We need Pep Guardiola. Let’s make it happen. Oak

Yes we need to turn over another leaf and put down proper roots, no more barking up the wrong tree. Hopefully people have finally twigged before we’re sapped of all strength. 

• Like 1

Â