Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

When you think about it, we are also kinda blaming him for the inheritance of squad and position, he is basically swimming upstream with a cement bag!

However the people who pointed out the performances being below par as worrying were definitely onto something, I was one who thought they could only get better but obviously was wrong.

Once again I really don't think overall Bruce can be blamed. Yes he has made decisions and subs etc which have baffled me but I tend to go with his experience and the fact that he sees the players everyday.

I actually think he tries to drill things into the players and they are the ones who keep letting him down.

If he had us from the beginning of the season, along with a few of his own players we would NOT be in this position and we would have more right to slate him.

I understand that alot of us are disheartened about the promotion prospects quickly diminishing but it is not his fault.

The mistakes re: selection and so on could have been easily afforded were we not so far behind when he took over, every manager makes mistakes.

We have essentially been mad at him for not maintaining top 2 form!

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

so who do you think is shit then

Gaby or Bruce?

I didn't intimate that either were shit, also didn't see the last game so can't pass too much judgement on Gaby aside from read what people on here are saying. I think there are a number of factors affecting the performances of both and not necessarily fair to judge until either have the supporting tools to carry out there duties.Same goes for McCormack etc. Similarly while Gestede was not the best he undoubtedly had attributes which could/should have been more than useful at this level but became yet another casualty of us being unbalanced and out of sorts.

Based on what I read everyone was shite on the day (last match)? 

Then again I think I have pretty much pointed out my though in the initial post but you are obviously fishing for some Gabby slamming?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Xela said:

There isn't a great deal of other options at present. Gabby's run outs were all done to get him fit for when he was going to cover the players missing in AFCON

Ideally it would have been better to keep Gestede, but when a good offer comes in for a player who isn't in your plans, you take it as you may not get that offer again.

Hepburn-Murphy may have got a chance if he wasn't being so greedy. 

Sorry, don't buy the no better option theory on this.  I posted in Gabby thread.  I would rather play literally anyone else at forward.  I would rather put any kid on the bench.  The encouragement it would provide the kid for the future would be better than any benefit we would get from Gabby.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, srsmithusa said:

Sorry, don't buy the no better option theory on this.  I posted in Gabby thread.  I would rather play literally anyone else at forward.  I would rather put any kid on the bench.  The encouragement it would provide the kid for the future would be better than any benefit we would get from Gabby.  

I think if Hepburn-Murphy had signed his contract, he would have played. No point though if he's off at the end of the season. I'm not sure how long Gabby has left?

In an ideal world we wouldn't be using Gabby, but we really are short of options 

8 minutes ago, Xela said:

I think if Hepburn-Murphy had signed his contract, he would have played. No point though if he's off at the end of the season. I'm not sure how long Gabby has left?

In an ideal world we wouldn't be using Gabby, but we really are short of options 

18 months

13 minutes ago, Spoony said:

I periodically make this plea, but please can we give [manager name] time. We have wasted so much money and bought so much shite because we keep chopping and changing managers who are desperate to buy their way to an instant fix. We just need to give a manager the time and the money to buy a decent squad but it takes a few years. Please can we just give Bruce time and support and wait a couple of years for continued stability that would take us up the leagues...

I really get your sentiment, and wholeheartedly agree, apart from the highlighted part. It's not an easy task to put a specific time-frame on how long a rebuilding process should take, even more so in our case. I think we can all agree we've been a shambles top to bottom the last five years, if not longer.

Having said that, I expect managers to be professionals, e.g. experts in their 'field of business', just as the players. In football, most of the time they should be able to 'hit the ground running'. A manager with Bruce's pedigree shouldn't really need a few years imho. Whereas a younger, more inexperienced manager probably should be given a little more time. But as it stands, we didn't hire one of those, instead we went with one where the level of expectation was high to begin with. I can only hope that Tony and the board feel the same way.

Now for the sixty-four-thousand-dollar-question; what is the adequate amount of time that should be given? To me, the deciding factor here is first and foremost the progress made along the way. Results have been decent up until a few weeks back, but performances have largely been a disappointment. I honestly feel we are playing worse than under RDM, from a pure footballing perspective. 

I'll admit, I initially massively overrated our squad this season. Most of RDM's signings made sense, and I was sure both Gardner and Westwood would be good players at this level. I've since changed my stance, and now come to terms with the deficiencies to our squad. 

Given what Bruce has to work with, I'm now absolutely sure he needs to be given an entire transfer window. January just isn't enough. 

But come next autumn, and we're still regularly starting Gabby up top, simply running around like headless chickens, hoofing the ball left, right and center, totally devoid of a game plan, I'll certainly be calling for his head twice a day! <_<

1 hour ago, Spoony said:

I periodically make this plea, but please can we give [manager name] time. We have wasted so much money and bought so much shite because we keep chopping and changing managers who are desperate to buy their way to an instant fix. We just need to give a manager the time and the money to buy a decent squad but it takes a few years. Please can we just give Bruce time and support and wait a couple of years for continued stability that would take us up the leagues...

Hallelujah!!!

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, srsmithusa said:

Aside from RHM, who else could we realistically play though? Serious question, we are pretty screwed and it makes me question the time of Gestede going even more!

I keep hearing this..... we played better ( more attacking)under RDM......but got more points and played better defensively under SB

?

Football is a game of both.....you cannot have one without the other, if you have any ambition of being successful.....The top teams do both.

If you do have one without the other you are a flawed/Incomplete team.

just an analogy

Snooker

• Jimmy White.....Populist...Everyone wanted to see Jimmy....But won relatively nothing in the game.
  • Steve Davis.......Only the purists would watch Steve, due to his cautious style....but in comparison won all the tournaments of the day.

It depends how you watch the game and what you look for......we are way off complete.

Edited by TRO

24 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Aside from RHM, who else could we realistically play though? Serious question, we are pretty screwed and it makes me question the time of Gestede going even more!

I would play Davis over Gabby.  Why not?  It's not the Premier League.  Gabby does less than nothing.  Ross wants it to feet and I imagine so would Davis.  We're about to have a midfield (fingers crossed).  May as well play with 11 than 10.  If it doesn't work then we re-visit it.  But he's good enough to be on the bench at the moment and he's getting a few minutes towards the end, so we may as well take the next step.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Xela said:

It's ok if you disagree with me.  but I still feel like you may be missing my point.  I put zero credibility in the "no better options" theory.  I would play westwood up top.  I would play Bunn up top.  I would play Amavi up top.  I would play Greene up top.  I would play ANYONE on the roster up top before I would put Gabby on the field or on the bench.  We needed players and leaders last year.  Gabby's disrespect was not forgivable IMO.  You may say that Bunn would offer nothing and I would counter, "his goal tally could not possibly be less than Gabby's !!!!!! "

I think including Gabby destroys any sense of pride in the club.  The psychological gain of him staying home and ANYBODY else taking his place is much greater than the point total gain of him being in the fold.

I would not be using Gabby in the ideal world OR in the real world.  Period.  Full-stop.  Again, you can disagree.  But if your reason for disagreeing is that there is no better option.  I will strongly differ with you.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TRO said:

I keep hearing this..... we played better ( more attacking)under RDM......

We really didn't. We were awful going forward and so pedestrian when attacking. It was as bad as the dark days of Lamberts pathetic last few months in charge.

3 hours ago, srsmithusa said:

It's ok if you disagree with me.  but I still feel like you may be missing my point.  I put zero credibility in the "no better options" theory.  I would play westwood up top.  I would play Bunn up top.  I would play Amavi up top.  I would play Greene up top.  I would play ANYONE on the roster up top before I would put Gabby on the field or on the bench.  We needed players and leaders last year.  Gabby's disrespect was not forgivable IMO.  You may say that Bunn would offer nothing and I would counter, "his goal tally could not possibly be less than Gabby's !!!!!! "

I think including Gabby destroys any sense of pride in the club.  The psychological gain of him staying home and ANYBODY else taking his place is much greater than the point total gain of him being in the fold.

I would not be using Gabby in the ideal world OR in the real world.  Period.  Full-stop.  Again, you can disagree.  But if your reason for disagreeing is that there is no better option.  I will strongly differ with you.  

wow you're on a roll

Has anyone compared our results since we appointed Calderwood to Brightons results since he left them ?

I'm  not saying it's Calderwoods fault and presumably Bruce earmarked him as the person he wanted , but are they compatible with each other in the way that each other work ? Is it just something else that takes time ?

my " gripe " with Bruce is he appears to be tinkering too much , play x at home drop him for away games , drop Westwood then bring him back , ditto Gardner , I don't think it's good man management personally 

he probably over reached with his targets , Jenkinson , Schup and others from the Prem who we are rumoured to  want so that's back fired a little on us  ...as Trent said in another post if he thinks Lansbury is his number one target then fine let's go get him , but if he isn't then let's wait until Aug and get the players he does want 

we won't go down nor are we going up so let's see what the likes of Green and Davis can do rather than seeing what the likes of Gabby and McCormick can't do ... 

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 1

Â