Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

48 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

If people just accept what we are and who we are it will make things a lot easier for them. 

Why would you expect us to accept being in the Championship, or being sub-standard, which I assume is what you mean. I never will. I have enormous pride in who we are, and just because owners and managers are not good enough for our club does not mean I have to accept it.

1 hour ago, TRO said:

I would think SB is as pissed off as us Mark with the desire or lack of it.....He has never been associated with that, but it seems he is not the only one, even Gary Rowett and the good job he did had a few games towards the end like that out of his lot before he felt the leather up his jaxy.

I must be honest with you, with a few exceptions, I don't like this team at all.....And I would hate to be the manager of this assembly of shite.

I am not greatly enamoured with this team either, but I think they are better than they are showing at the moment. There is no teamwork or cohesion, and that has to be down to management. Other managers are doing better jobs with teams whose personnel do not appear to be on a par with ours. And I know our midfield is shit, but even so, we should be seeing better from the team as a whole. We have never achieved the quality of performance under Bruce we showed in the first half dozen games under RDM, when we were mostly unlucky not to win.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

If people just accept what we are and who we are it will make things a lot easier for them. 

spot on

The Club and the team are 2 quite different things right now.

• Great Club
  • Shite Team
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

I am not greatly enamoured with this team either, but I think they are better than they are showing at the moment. There is no teamwork or cohesion, and that has to be down to management. Other managers are doing better jobs with teams whose personnel do not appear to be on a par with ours. And I know our midfield is shit, but even so, we should be seeing better from the team as a whole. We have never achieved the quality of performance under Bruce we showed in the first half dozen games under RDM, when we were mostly unlucky not to win.

but it would take a brave man to swap the 2 situations.....with the points involved.

One will keep us up.....the other one might not have done.

40 minutes ago, peterms said:

I haven't looked at the detail, but haven't most of the points been against the lower teams, who were over-represented in that stretch?  If so, then extrapolating might not be as reasonable as if it were a better cross-section of fixtures.

Of Bruce's 15 games four of them have been against sides currently in the top 4 and overall seven of them against teams in the top 12. It is probably about as fair a cross section of fixtures as you could get.

7 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

Why would you expect us to accept being in the Championship, or being sub-standard, which I assume is what you mean. I never will. I have enormous pride in who we are, and just because owners and managers are not good enough for our club does not mean I have to accept it.

I love this club too but we are Aston villa. Our name hasn't meant nothing for a long time now. we have been run like a championship club for the last few years and here we are we are in the championship. It's not the first time we have been in the lower leagues and it won't be the last. Last time we won anything was 20 odd years ago. Let's learn to walk before we can run. No quick fix here I'm afraid. Hopefully one day we might challenge for the title again(only twice in my lifetime that's happened) but whatever happens we have to live in the here and now. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I love this club too but we are Aston villa. Our name hasn't meant nothing for a long time now. we have been run like a championship club for the last few years and here we are we are in the championship. It's not the first time we have been in the lower leagues and it won't be the last. Last time we won anything was 20 odd years ago. Let's learn to walk before we can run. No quick fix here I'm afraid. Hopefully one day we might challenge for the title again(only twice in my lifetime that's happened) but whatever happens we have to live in the here and now. 

Nice bit of realism RV, though I suspect it'll never catch on ;)

2 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Of Bruce's 15 games four of them have been against sides currently in the top 4 and overall seven of them against teams in the top 12. It is probably about as fair a cross section of fixtures as you could get.

Yes, that's a reasonable cross-section.

I've looked at the results and the table now.  The point I'm getting at is that 15 of those 25 points were against clubs in the bottom third.  While the points are welcome, if you were extrapolating then just doing it by running forward the points total from the 15 games would seem optimistic.

Reality check. We were shite in the Premiership and now we are shite in the Championship.

You need have close to a Premiership quality side to do well in this league, an unfortunately we haven't. If by luck we made it back to the prem this season we would be back down next.

It's not Bruce basically 

I'm convinced Bruce is the man to sort us out. He has 4 promotions from this league with teams with less resources. Results have improved since he arrived, despite the last couple of league results. Performances aren't great but let Bruce have the time to bring in his own players to suit the way he wants to play. Granted, we're never going to be Barcelona under him, but he is effective at what he does. 

I can't believe people are seriously questioning his appointment. I'm putting most of it down to a knee jerk reaction from yesterdays game, which I agree, was awful. That being said, we won't find a better qualified manager to get us out of this division. He just needs a transfer window or two t get his personnel in. 

Once we are back in the Premier League, we can have the discussion about whether he is the man to take us to the next level. He probably isn't, but if he gets us up, he at least deserves a chance to prove himself. If it fails, then we get a replacement and he will have my gratitude for getting back to our rightful place.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Xela said:

Once we are back in the Premier League, we can have the discussion about whether he is the man to take us to the next level. He probably isn't, but if he gets us up, he at least deserves a chance to prove himself. If it fails, then we get a replacement and he will have my gratitude for getting back to our rightful place.

Its unlikely he will get us up this season so he's got next season to do it.

46 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

It is a great club mate but sometimes I think we need a reality check. 

I know what you are saying, RV, and I am really not expecting wonderful things from this team. But I have followed them down into the lower reaches twice before, and I never accepted that we were anything but a great club. I always felt then what I feel now, that we are a great club going through bad times and ill served by those at the top.

Not necessarily those at the top now, I should say, that is something we will discover in due course.

1 minute ago, AntrimBlack said:

I know what you are saying, RV, and I am really not expecting wonderful things from this team. But I have followed them down into the lower reaches twice before, and I never accepted that we were anything but a great club. I always felt then what I feel now, that we are a great club going through bad times and ill served by those at the top.

Not necessarily those at the top now, I should say, that is something we will discover in due course.

We have every right to be proud of this club. imo this club has massively underachieved for the last 100 years. Ok we had the early 80s but that was very short lived and yet again we never cracked on from there.

• Like 1

What we have in Bruce is something we haven't had in a while and that's history. 

When we were sat in the lower half of the Premier League being managed by Remi Garde, Tim Sherwood and to some extent Paul Lambert, blaming the manager was easy. They had little to no experience managing PL teams so the poor performances had to be due to these inexperienced managers, right? 

We now find ourselves with one of the most experienced managers in this league and still struggling. For me, it's very difficult to blame the boss this time. He knows the league and what he's doing. 

This season was always going to be a struggle to get back up, but in my opinion we're still turning that corner. We do have quality in that team. Kodjia and Adomah are brilliant. Amavi looks strong. Chester is one of the best signings we've made in years I believe. We couldn't buy a whole squad last summer and there is still a lot of that dead wood/poor team. Bruce knows this. He's actively looking to bring in a midfield to replace Gardewood. He wants a RB to replace Hutton. 

I guess for me, we have the right management now to get out of this league, we have the right plan, we just need to be patient. It may take another transfer window to complete this team.  

We're in the middle of an update. Please do not turn off the power. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, briny_ear said:

Ah yes, Gestede....

That dynamic goal machine, full of pace and movement and nuanced passing...

How crazy were we to sell such a key figure in our attacking success so far this season...

;)

Scored a few in a lot less playing time than mccormack and gabby. And he at least gives us a different option which was my overall point..... wasn't saying he was a prolific goalscorer but he would have give us a target yesterday. 

54 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Reality check. We were shite in the Premiership and now we are shite in the Championship.

You need have close to a Premiership quality side to do well in this league, an unfortunately we haven't. If by luck we made it back to the prem this season we would be back down next.

It's not Bruce basically 

People are seriously deluded if they think we have a worse squad than Brighton, Huddersfield, Wednesday on paper.

Apart from the midfield we have a very good team at this level, which Bruce cannot get to work. Jedinak got Palace promoted a few years ago, Gardner was a regular for a midtable Forest side and he is our worst midfielder, Westwood would be fine for most teams but our fans treat him like turd, Tshibola is fine. The rest of the team is fine, just we play long-ball with ball-playing players. Ayew is easily Prem standard but doesn't get played, McCormack (see: http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/10252403/top-football-league-players-revealed). If Bruce can't get it to work, it's down to him. Kodjia is a good player at this level, so are Chester, Amavi, Elphick (was regular for Prem side last season).

Why are people so hell-bent on defending Bruce?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, TRO said:

Woody.....I could bang on all night about this.....I was brought up on watching caring Aston Villa players....one was a Lion hearted hero and once a very close friend of mine, I can tell you how they tick....Steve Bruce knows what you are saying and I would wager he 99% agrees with you.

Fixing it is a whole different Ball game......and any new manager, would take another 6 months just identifying it alone ( maybe/we hope)

I have been challenged many times trying to explain what you are alluding to.....but I will not suggest SB is happy with it or dismissing it.

I am sure he will deal with it, but I think the problem is bigger( effecting too many players) to fix it in one season.

Ps do you honestly think they are playing to orders and their contribution is rubber stamped by a SB, not in a million years.

PPS at least he doesn't condone it ,not like the new manager at Wolves did in his after match offerings, when he was with us.

players dropped for rubbish performances? I see the distinct lack of this as condoning what is going on.

2 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I think you are right.

37 minutes ago, villakram said:

players dropped for rubbish performances? I see the distinct lack of this as condoning what is going on.

If you think he is happy with this....I must be a monkeys uncle.....pass me that Banana:)

There is only SO many you can drop before you run out of players;)

He doesn't condone it....but he can't play for them.

He is trying to move them on and move players in.....thats what they are trying to do.

Edited by TRO

Â