Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

Hourihane is Bruce's only decent long term buy. Whelan I like and Bjarnasson ok as bench late cameo player but most of our better performing players were already here before Bruce arrived. Can't wait till he's gone honestly

• Like 3

So apparently Bruce isn't happy with us loaning in Moriera, and that's why the #1 spot is still open. I expect a new keeper will be brought in for that #1 spot, and I wonder if Moreira will even see the bench Monday?

52 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Hourihane is Bruce's only decent long term buy. Whelan I like and Bjarnasson ok as bench late cameo player but most of our better performing players were already here before Bruce arrived. Can't wait till he's gone honestly

I mean that's kind of true. But do only long term signing count?

Johnstone, Elmohamady, Snodgrass, Terry, and Grabban are all Bruce signings and were/are all good ones, imo.

Plus he's produced the best form of Grealish's career.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, pacbuddies said:

Steve Bruce, in over 20 years as a football manager, has never, and I repeat NEVER, built a sustainable football model. He is a quick fix, old hands, big wages sort of guy and will never change. If you think we are halfway through some masterplan then can I please have some of whatever you are smoking.

No, I do not think we're part way through a 3-4 year grand design for promotion.

And yes, you may have some of what I'm smoking, in fact if everyone had some the world would be a much nicer place :)

• Like 1

There is no way Bruce will throw his toys out of the pram over signings. I'm sure he's well aware that he is under pressure to deliver results and mouthing off at the new owners policies is a terrible idea. I'm not Bruce's biggest fan but I would expect him to have some common sense.

Having just watched the Hull press conference, I am convinced he is working on borrowed time. His whole persona throws out that of a manager that you'd think had just been told he has 3 games to save his job!

Big changes indeed and it is interesting that players are being offered to him for him to have final say on recruitment, fair enough, but I wonder if it is on a basis that it's these players or no one else, so if SB declines to sign them so be it, it will be himself that will need to utilise the best of what he's got - existing personnel, youth and bombsquaders.

And the fact when he briefly touches on the fact his buddies Steve Round and Keith Wyness have lost their jobs.. I nearly reached for the kleenex it was that emotional.

I will be very suprised to see Steve Bruce still here beyond October, that is no agenda etc, that's just the way I see it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Having just watched the Hull press conference, I am convinced he is working on borrowed time. His whole persona throws out that of a manager that you'd think had just been told he has 3 games to save his job!

Big changes indeed and it is interesting that players are being offered to him for him to have final say on recruitment, fair enough, but I wonder if it is on a basis that it's these players or no one else, so if SB declines to sign them so be it, it will be himself that will need to utilise the best of what he's got - existing personnel, youth and bombsquaders.

And the fact when he briefly touches on the fact his buddies Steve Round and Keith Wyness have lost their jobs.. I nearly reached for the kleenex it was that emotional.

I will be very suprised to see Steve Bruce still here beyond October, that is no agenda etc, that's just the way I see it.

Here's hoping.

11 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I mean that's kind of true. But do only long term signing count?

Johnstone, Elmohamady, Snodgrass, Terry, and Grabban are all Bruce signings and were/are all good ones, imo.

Grabban, Elmo - I think you have to say the jury is still well and truly out on these pair - Stevo  you can't put Jack's form last season down to Bruce!! Jack was always going to grow up at some point and realise what he was putting on the line.

Edited by Dave J

Just now, Dave J said:

Grabban, Elmo - I think you have to say the jury is still well and truly out on these pair - Stevo I know you love to provoke reaction but even you can't put Jack's form last season down to Bruce!! Jack was always going to grow up at some point and realise what he was putting on the line.

If a player plays his best ever football under a certain Manager it’s unreasonable - imo - not to credit the Manager.

Secondly, where does that logic lead ? If he’s not responsible for getting performances out of players what’s his job ? And how can he then be criticised for poor performances ?

In my view, not to give Bruce credit for Jacks form, particularly it going hand in hand with a far better approach to his football, makes no sense.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I was so excited when I read this that I immediately went to look at the press conference so I could witness the body language of a man on the edge of losing his job.

Um...

Can you point me to anything that was done or said in the conference that actually backs up the above account? In particular the judgement that, based on that press conference, he won’t be here beyond October?

9 minutes ago, terrytini said:

If a player plays his best ever football under a certain Manager it’s unreasonable - imo - not to credit the Manager.

Secondly, where does that logic lead ? If he’s not responsible for getting performances out of players what’s his job ? And how can he then be criticised for poor performances ?

In my view, not to give Bruce credit for Jacks form, particularly it going hand in hand with a far better approach to his football, makes no sense.

That's your view Terry and you are perfectly entitled to it - I remain of the view that Jack's stock was always going to rise - only himself could prevent this from happening - 

1 hour ago, briny_ear said:

Can you point me to anything that was done or said in the conference that actually backs up the above account? In particular the judgement that, based on that press conference, he won’t be here beyond October?

That part I can't, but going forward Steve Bruce will.

Just reading between the lines.

2 hours ago, terrytini said:

Maybe if the player had been around a while. For example MON got the best out of players like Collins and Dunne but they were pretty awful after he had gone. 

This is the first long injury free spell Jack has had since under Sherwood. 

And arguably he was just as good then as he has been now considering it was a at higher level. Sherwood deserve credit for that? 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

14 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

As mentioned above I’d argue his form was pretty impressive under Sherwood by playing a massive part in getting us promoted and to an FA cup final. 

Â