Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

8 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Some very ugly sentiments here. And for what?

Some very ugly football and interviews being perhaps.

Hopefully Bruce can turn these negatives into positives moving forward you might agree?  :thumb:

Edited by AvfcRigo82
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

Once again, stuck in a forum which is behaving like a forum does/should and being dragged into adding some words wishing it wasn't behaving like a forum. :D  Kudos @TRO. Admirable attempt earlier this morning at galvanising the troops. Ultimately I feel nothing has really changed for what feels like about a 1000 pages in here in that those who will ONLY accept a top 2 finish are unmoved in their opinions. Those happy enough with progress not perfection are happy enough to see where it/he takes us. Everyone's basically unhappy/unconvinced with the way we play sometimes. Everyone is well aware of the financial implications of not making it up this year. Play offs are such a lottery we all want to avoid by grabbing second place - and while for Bruce, Xia et al - with all the investment that's gone in over the last couple of years anything but second MUST be classed as a failure if only in the short term - those attacking Bruce right now are right in saying that other clubs would love to be able to play with our budget and underacheiving somewhat. Just life is not always about getting what you pay for and a top 6 finish would be an improvement on last year whether we go up or not. Everyone basically feels he's doing ok though right? Ok being not that great and not that bad.

3 or 4 things can happen from here imo. None of which involve Bruce leaving much before the summer. We can grab second place. We can go up via the play offs. We can lose in the play offs. We can miss out on the play offs.

Pointing out we're shit and getting annoyed by a loss or having no faith in the manager is one thing. Calling for his head when we lie 5 points off a promotion place with 20 games to go is just counterproductive imo. Most probable outcome to all of this is those calling for his head will get their wish and that will be because we miss out on promotion. Then no one's happy.

UTV :D

Very well written post, both measured and balanced throughout- unfortunately this is football and we all know how football affects us, our emotions and frustrations carry us away at times and our views do get clouded, I suppose at times - but in the cold light of the day - if you don't believe in something/ someone to achieve your outcome long term then you are totally within your rights to express this, regardless of your present circumstances- and this is why myself and others post as we do - I simply have no faith in this man going forward- it's entirely plausible that we will limp over the line - I feel this is the most to expect - then the lottery begins.

for me whatever the outcome he has to go - if we don't go up it's clear cut - if we do go up I have zero faith in his ability to establish us as a premier league club once more - and so we come full circle- which is why I would cut now and get a manager who I believe can take this club to where we all want it to be.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

i wasnt in favor of his initial appointment and hes done little to make me change my mind.

evidence suggests we will either just make the playoffs or miss out unless we improve.  evidence suggests the bristol game was an exception as opposed to a rule.

we generally do poorly against teams near or above us in the league, making success in the playoffs unlikely.

you can point to 4 promotions but football has moved on, the quality and competition in this division has dramatically incŕeased and in his own words he has never managed a club as big as us with as much pressure and expectation as there is here.  his irratic performances and ill advised comments in the press for me only serve to show he isnt up to the task.

please hod i hope im wrong, but as others have said, he should be removed at the end of he season, promoted or not as he is not the man to establish us back in the Premier League - and he has proven that at his 4 promoted clubs and reinforced it with poor decisions and inconsistent performances during his time here.

• Like 1

I'm Spartacus, and so is my wife!

I wouldn't hire Bruce today, I'd be looking for someone to get us playing football as a way out of the league. The Championship has changed, the best sides all play good football to get out of it now.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jareth said:

I would, for the same reasons he got appointed in the first place. 

Even after watching us play for the last 15 months and seeing him close up? I was happy we got Bruce as he seemed to tick all the boxes but like most fans I hadn’t taken much notice of him apart fro me his record or looked at him in detail. I’d never even seen that report in the guardian or whatever paper it was basically describing everything he’s done here which he’d already done at Sunderland.  Bruce may still get us up but he’s shown nothing to deserve to be here next year as we want to build a top team and he has shown he can’t  do that for me. 

9 hours ago, villabromsgrove said:

How many of us would appoint Steve Bruce the Villa manager today?

Here’s a secret for you: the fans don’t get to appoint the manager so the question is irrelevant. 

Would the owner and board appoint him today? Just like when he was appointed, it would depend who else was available and whether he was the strongest candidate available. He may well prove to be that.

The board have to deal with reality and try to do their best for the club in the real world - only an infrequent visitor to this thread, one feels.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, villabromsgrove said:

How many of us would appoint Steve Bruce the Villa manager today?

He wasn't among my preferred choices at the time and I certainly would not choose him now.

But I see the reasoning behind why they hired him at the time.

8 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

I agree with some of this and would agree totally if this was actually happening at the games but I don't think it is. I think aside from the Brentford game where he got a fair bit of stick I don't think he has had any mass negative feeling shown towards him. He does appear to have had abuse from someone behind the dugout but that has been going on for years as I can remember O'Neill getting embroiled with someone. I don't know why but Bruce seems to pay quite a bit of attention to what is said on social media and I think he'd be better off totally ignoring it.

I think us as supporters do have a huge part to play though and will have a big impact as to how our season pans out. I think we saw against Bristol that when we went three goals up the crowd got fully behind the team and that edginess that always seems to be at Villa Park lifted and you could visibly see a weight come off the players shoulders and they played with a freedom and confidence that I hadn't seen from a Villa side in years.

I think as fans because of what we have endured over the last 7 years or so we expect the worst. We go a goal or two up and we are still nervy that the other team will come back and I think that transmits itself on to the pitch and does affect the players. I think that was why it was important to totally transform the squad and why it needed some big characters that won't be afraid to get on the ball. I think despite even that these players still feel the weight of what went before as we as a fan base are an impatient bunch and a new player will be given very little grace period and a few misplaced passes and there will be jeers and players can be quickly written off. I totally get why that happens as like I said given what has gone before we fear the worst.

That is also happening in terms of the bigger picture. With 20 games to go we sit in 5th, five points from an automatic promotion place having in the previous two league games beaten two promotion rivals and played arguably the best we have in years in the last league game. The general vibe on here though isn't a positive one. Many are focused on why we aren't already second, that Bristol was an exception to a rule, that we wont finish second and the best we'll do is play offs or just miss out. The worst is expected. The glass is still half empty.

I think that has to stop. We have to become glass half full merchants. We can't change what has gone before and we can only help influence the future. We have an opportunity to finish second. Sixty points to play for and a five point gap to overhaul. We have played all but one of the top 10 away from home already which means we get the chance at Villa Park to take points off almost all of our rivals for promotion. We need to get behind the club now. We need to get Villa Park packed to the rafters, be vociferous and fill it with a positive vibe. The days of fearing the worst have to be left behind and I think by doing so we give this manager and these players a greater chance of promotion. We certainly have nothing to lose by giving it a go.

Once again, Spot on Mark

I think you are right, Mark, its not in the ground (a few mumbles maybe) its mainly Social Media, but that has a habit of spreading like the plague.....also the management reads it......its lowering.....They need motivating too, we all need motivating, but positivity is contagious and uplifting......we all owe it to each other to form mass support.

What fan doesn't get moved, when the ground is rocking.....its powerful and we must find it in ourselves to manifest it.

We need all the effervescence and gusto we can muster......we must try and keep our nerve until there is a definite reason not to.

We need to move away from point scoring, or who is right or wrong about Bruce.....We need to find our fighting spirit, if we can't how can we expect the players to......we are divided they will be divided

LETS UNITE

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, villa89 said:

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

was Albert Enstein a Villa Fan, then?

perhaps thats where he got his inspiration from.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, briny_ear said:

Here’s a secret for you: the fans don’t get to appoint the manager so the question is irrelevant. 

Would the owner and board appoint him today? Just like when he was appointed, it would depend who else was available and whether he was the strongest candidate available. He may well prove to be that.

The board have to deal with reality and try to do their best for the club in the real world - only an infrequent visitor to this thread, one feels.

That's a little rude imo - this is a villa fans forum and I totally think this is a valid question to ask within the concept of such. 

• Like 1

Â