Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

8 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Would you accept that such comments make us look even more small time than that gypsy camp of a football club across the city?

No I don't accept that. More sensationalist nonsense.

1 hour ago, vreitti said:

With this "beg, steal and borrow" rhetoric, he is certainly trying to lower the expectations, and convey the message he's been hard done by the club. Why else would he mention it? 

I think he's rightly trying to lower expectations of us spending money in January, because we probably won't be. It has nothing to do with making him out to be hard done by.

And yes he's probably trying to lower expectations of what the team will achieve too. It's a tactic used by almost every manager in the country. How many times do you hear managers in the premier league claiming that their team aren't in the title race or don't have a chance of winning the league when they clearly do?

Mourinho, Ranieri, Wenger even Ferguson have all done this.

Managers don't come out and say "**** me we are brilliant. We're gonna win the league by a mile".

It IS a bit of spin. I'm not denying that.

What I was disputing was that Bruce was making out we had the lowest budget in the league and that we should feel sorry for him. That is bollocks.

It's hypocritical to be moaning about spin when you and other posters in this thread are spinning every word Bruce says into flimsy criticism of the guy. He says some bad things, but you don't have to twist everything he says into a negative. And you certainly don't need to exaggerate it into sensationalist nonsense which, again, was what my OP was disputing.

• Like 1

I don't think Bruce is a yes man like Lambert. When he speaks to the press he directs a lot of it the board in my opinion. 

I also think Xia and Wyness Tweets are directed at the manager. 

This is just my opinion but I don't think the relationship between board and manager is as tight as people think. More a case of keeping it amicable to get the job done and then part ways. 

Of course I could be completely wrong. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Somewhere to the tune of £35m in 15 months! - That is just on transfers that did have fee's.

Which we've already shown was more than offset by outgoings.
Not a defence of his performance. I've said again and again that he's underperforming.

But him signing players isn't evidence that we're not restricted by FFP, which is the only point Bruce was making.

39 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It's hypocritical to be moaning about spin when you and other posters in this thread are spinning every word Bruce says into flimsy criticism of the guy. He says some bad things, but you don't have to twist everything he says into a negative. And you certainly don't need to exaggerate it into sensationalist nonsense which, again, was what my OP was disputing.

Whilst I don't agree anyone is "spinning every word" or "twisting everything into a negative," you do have a point. The entire debate about Bruce has become tedious and far too hostile for my liking. I seriously hope we win convincingly this weekend.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Which we've already shown was more than offset by outgoings.
Not a defence of his performance. I've said again and again that he's underperforming.

But him signing players isn't evidence that we're not restricted by FFP, which is the only point Bruce was making.

Your hyped defence of Bruce or more head in the sand - is actually cringing.

8 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

:crylaugh: Some people wouldn't know facts from fiction if it ran them over.

I know how to distinguish between facts and opinion.

"such comments make us look even more small time than that gypsy camp of a football club across the city"

By definition, that is not a fact. That is your opinion. One I disagree with. 

Priorities for Bruce every single time he speaks to any member of the press. Whether midweek or pre/post match.

#1 Self-preservation. Levels of truth irrelevant.

#2 Everything else.

Edited by Tomaszk
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Your hyped defence of Bruce or more head in the sand - is actually cringing.

"hyped defence". 

You've quoted a post where I specifically said he was underperforming, and the rest was factual information that he's offset his spending and we're restricted by FFP.

What part of that was a hyped up defence?

4 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Don't break any habbits of a lifetime now, will you.

If you keep trying to pass off your sensationalist opinion as "fact", then I'll keep disagreeing with it.

12 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Talking about cutting the wage bill and negative net spend just ignores so much. 

If people don't think Bruce inherited and then was able to invest and sign a squad better than the vast majority of teams in the league then they are clearly choosing to stick their head in the sand, which i can only assume is to downplay the expectations that the manager should be under.

Guess only way to see if this is correct is to look at the current side playing

Johnstone (bruce signing)

Terry (bruce signing) 

Chester (rdm)

Taylor (bruce signing) 

Jedinak (rdm signing)

Hourihane (bruce signing)

Grealish (neither)

Snodgrass (bruce signing)

Adomah (RDM signing)

Davis/Hogan( bruce gave chance/bruce signing) thats only three signings of rdm and one who was already here in grealish.

Thats what 25%. Then the options he tends to use whelan, lansbury and onomah are all bruce signings. Therefore its mainly bruces rebuild job not that he inherited a strong team. 

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

Guess only way to see if this is correct is to look at the current side playing

Johnstone (bruce signing)

Terry (bruce signing) 

Chester (rdm)

Taylor (bruce signing) 

Jedinak (rdm signing)

Hourihane (bruce signing)

Grealish (neither)

Snodgrass (bruce signing)

Adomah (RDM signing)

Davis/Hogan( bruce gave chance/bruce signing) thats only three signings of rdm and one who was already here in grealish.

Thats what 25%. Then the options he tends to use whelan, lansbury and onomah are all bruce signings. Therefore its mainly bruces rebuild job not that he inherited a strong team. 

But he's has to beg, steal and borrow?

How can he have made so many signings?

:huh:

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Straggler said:

Every time Bruce mentions that we have been capped in our spending by FFP, all it reminds me of is that we have invested every penny that we possibly can into this squad of players.

Barring Hogan the rest are not exactly big transfer fees are they? 

8 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

But he's has to beg, steal and borrow?

How can he have made so many signings?

:huh:

Dont forget a lot of loans 

Â