Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Barring Hogan the rest are not exactly big transfer fees are they? 

Dont forget a lot of loans 

Bruce knows damn well he is up against the limit, he must have known the situation when he joined the club.  At this stage complaining about FFP is akin to complaining that he has to take a player off the pitch every time he sends a substitute on.

• Like 2

I am not sure what all this bitching is about.

We have a strong squad( generally accepted opinion, but not fact) it has cost a fair wedge by championship standards, which in itself raises expectations, but no guarantee's.

We have experienced long term injuries to key players, that cannot be swept under the carpet, to compound our problem the manager is hampered by FFP to rectify the temporary set backs.....hence defending himself against criticism, we would all do that roles reversed.

To me all the above is crystal clear.

If he didn't have criticism, the responses would not be forthcoming, its a reaction.Fans have a right to criticise, but when you are in the middle of the battle, is it wise to spend so much energy regurgitating the same old rhetoric.....what exactly is the motive.

We all say that we want promotion.....with us sitting in 5th place Steve Bruce is going nowhere, so why is there a campaign to criticise ( in some cases) his every move. Is some of the cricticism bona a fide , of course it has merit, but I ask again what is there to be gained?

In my view, there is no perfect manager, no one beyond criticism, we have had managers in the past who have made mistakes, but due to selective opinions ,avoid the criticism better than others......despite the claims of Steve Bruce's critics some have legitimate gripes and others in my opinion touch on ,his "face don't fit" ( and that is the tedious bit) because at present he is going nowhere ,so it is totally unproductive ,whinging.

We have a real tangible opportunity for positive improvement in the second half of this season.....players coming back from injury and all the top teams in our own back yard.

The positivity is crucial....a united front is our only hope to roar this team over the line and raise our fragile workrate( my opinion)

We have what we have no time for bitching, we can revisit that after the last game of the season.....or rejoice with our passion when we have reached the yellow brick road.

We are entitled to nothing.....but must demand everything (in a positive manner)

UTV

Edited by TRO
  • Like 4

28 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

But he's has to beg, steal and borrow?

How can he have made so many signings?

:huh:

I think SB is referring to now, the future, not the past.

The teams in the mix that will make the top 6 at the end of the season are clubs that are positive and focus on the job in hand, those that spend every ounce of energy on the task .....those that are divided or constantly defending themselves and pre occupying themselves with negative vibes will implode.

The criticism is feeding itself and needs to stop.....There needs to be a rain check until the season ends and the criticism of steve band wagon secured away until season end.....that is the time for protest, not now.

We are playing in to the hands of the opposition and some of us can't see it.

12 hours ago, DCJonah said:

From the guy with the 'sometimes they go in sometimes they don't' tactical analysis. 

:lol::lol:

I stand by it, thanks. 

If you don't think there is a significant element of luck and randomness in football (or any sport) then you're away with the fairies. 

If football was so easy to tactically maneuver then how do you explain this sequence of results Bristol City 2-1 Manchester United, Aston Villa 5-0 Bristol City, Manchester City 2-1 Bristol City? 

Ive played football, not at any kind of decent level but I've played enough to know that one week I could strike the best ball I've ever hit and see it come off the crossbar and out for a throw in, the next week I slice one horribly off the outside of my foot and it goes in the top corner - what's your explanation for this? 

I'm sure you're  the type of person who thinks everything can be controlled, predicted and mapped out. I'd suggest expanding your mind a little. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

I reckon selling and loaning out 15 players since he's been here might have something to do with it. ;)

FWIW Wolves have 19 out on loan.

6 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

I reckon selling and loaning out 15 players since he's been here might have something to do with it. ;)

FWIW Wolves have 19 out on loan.

10 minutes ago, TRO said:

I am not sure what all this bitching is about.

We have a strong squad( generally accepted opinion, but not fact) it has cost a fair wedge by championship standards, which in itself raises expectations, but no guarantee's.

We have experienced long term injuries to key players, that cannot be swept under the carpet, to compound our problem the manager is hampered by FFP to rectify the temporary set backs.....hence defending himself against criticism, we would all do that roles reversed.

To me all the above is crystal clear.

If he didn't have criticism, the responses would not be forthcoming, its a reaction.Fans have a right to criticise, but when you are in the middle of the battle, is it wise to spend so much energy regurgitating the same old rhetoric.....what exactly is the motive.

We all say that we want promotion.....with us sitting in 5th place Steve Bruce is going nowhere, so why is there a campaign to criticise ( in some cases) his every move. Is some of the cricticism bona a fide of course it has merit, but I ask again what is there to be gained.

In my view, there is no perfect manager, no one beyond criticism, we have had managers in the past who have made mistakes, but due to selective opinions avoids the criticism better than other......despite the claims of Steve Bruces critics some have legitimate gripes and others in my opinion touch on his face don't fit ( and that is the trdious bit) because at present he is going nowhere so it totally unproductive whinging.

We have a real tangible opportunity for positive improvement in the second half of this season.....players coming back from injury and all the top teams in our own back yard.

The positivity is crucial....a united front is our only hope to roar this team over the line and raise our fragile workrate.

We have what we have no time for bitching, we can revisit that after the last game of the season.....or rejoice with our passion when we have reached the yellow brick road.

We are entitled to nothing.....but must demand everything (in a positive manner)

UTV

Amen @TRO.

A fair wedge @TRO? It is one of if not the most expensively assembled squads in Championship history.  Like I said I don't mind Bruce that much and I wanted him from the beginning but he is doing exactly the same thing Sherwood got lambasted for. He is in the game of self-preservation and making sure he will be made out to look good if we fail. I guarantee the usual reporters will be out in force if we fail saying Bruce had no money and no luck with injuries ignoring the fact that he still had an amazing squad to call upon. 

I just hate lying. After the Brentford game he said that was the worst he has seen us (I think he has said that at least 6 different times), the week after it was a bad 45 minutes in the last 3 months, today it is a bad 30 minute spell. Next week it will be a bad 5 minutes. 

• Like 1

Again has Bruce actually claimed that we don't have a quality squad and that we don't have a big budget?

Or is it again just him referring to our spending restrictions due to FFP?

Because one is very different from the other.

5 minutes ago, omariqy said:

@TROIt is one of if not the most expensively assembled squads in Championship history.  Like I said I don't mind Bruce that much and I wanted him from the beginning but he is doing exactly the same thing Sherwood got lambasted for. He is in the game of self-preservation and making sure he will be made out to look good if we fail. I guarantee the usual reporters will be out in force if we fail saying Bruce had no money and no luck with injuries ignoring the fact that he still had an amazing squad to call upon. 

Excellent point bringing up this clown. Bruce is doing exactly the same deflection.

His journo pals will definitely be out defending him when we fail. "Mad foreign owner" I'm sure will be circulated as well.

45 minutes ago, Straggler said:

Bruce knows damn well he is up against the limit, he must have known the situation when he joined the club.  At this stage complaining about FFP is akin to complaining that he has to take a player off the pitch every time he sends a substitute on.

But that's not the original point the point is bruce has only signed one player for big money Hogan.

Also three loans are currently with us

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Again has Bruce actually claimed that we don't have a quality squad and that we don't have a big budget?

Or is it again just him referring to our spending restrictions due to FFP?

Because one is very different from the other.

I'd like to see one example of him saying what a good quality squad he has or how we have an expensively assembled squad or even mention the calibre of players we have. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I stand by it, thanks. 

If you don't think there is a significant element of luck and randomness in football (or any sport) then you're away with the fairies. 

If football was so easy to tactically maneuver then how do you explain this sequence of results Bristol City 2-1 Manchester United, Aston Villa 5-0 Bristol City, Manchester City 2-1 Bristol City? 

Ive played football, not at any kind of decent level but I've played enough to know that one week I could strike the best ball I've ever hit and see it come off the crossbar and out for a throw in, the next week I slice one horribly off the outside of my foot and it goes in the top corner - what's your explanation for this? 

I'm sure you're  the type of person who thinks everything can be controlled, predicted and mapped out. I'd suggest expanding your mind a little. 

Sadly, you are spot on.....but we live in an age, where everything has to be controlled.....god save the weather as the last bastion of mans frustration.

you are equally right in your example, but the more dedicated players.....practice, practice, practice the personal skills and lower the odds of slicing one of the outside of their foot.....as the saying goes the harder you work the luckier you get.

It amazes me how a player like Ronaldo, feels its necessary put in so much time to hone his personal skills, Dave Beckham coming back in the afternoons to practice free kicks and the like......but players like ours just go home after training( i imagine)

Its the hard work that I am dubious about ,with our lot.

Just now, Demitri_C said:

But that's not the original point the point is bruce has only signed one player for big money Hogan.

Also three loans are currently with us

Yeah for £12m-£15m. He has also signed two of the best midfielders in the Champ in Lansbury and Hourihane who we could get because of the wages we can afford. Also players like Snodgrass and Terry who I don't think anyone else could have got in reality. Maybe Boro. Again because of their wages. This also ignores the squad he already had at his disposal. A squad that had £60m spent on it in the summer. Which is huge money for the Champ. 

5 minutes ago, TRO said:

Sadly, you are spot on.....but we live in an age, where everything has to be controlled.....god save the weather as the last bastion of mans frustration.

you are equally right in your example, but the more dedicated players.....practice, practice, practice the personal skills and lower the odds of slicing one of the outside of their foot.....as the saying goes the harder you work the luckier you get.

It amazes me how a player like Ronaldo, feels its necessary put in so much time to hone his personal skills, Dave Beckham coming back in the afternoons to practice free kicks and the like......but players like ours just go home after training( i imagine)

Its the hard work that I am dubious about ,with our lot.

Of course luck is massive in football but @bannedfromHandV made a point that made it seem that tactics didn't really matter in football. I implore you to read Xavi's recent interview about Pep. We are living in the dark ages compared to what he does. I don't expect us to be like that but at least for some detail and thought to go into some form of strategy. I am hoping Bristol City is the start of that. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Guess only way to see if this is correct is to look at the current side playing

Johnstone (bruce signing)

Terry (bruce signing) 

Chester (rdm)

Taylor (bruce signing) 

Jedinak (rdm signing)

Hourihane (bruce signing)

Grealish (neither)

Snodgrass (bruce signing)

Adomah (RDM signing)

Davis/Hogan( bruce gave chance/bruce signing) thats only three signings of rdm and one who was already here in grealish.

Thats what 25%. Then the options he tends to use whelan, lansbury and onomah are all bruce signings. Therefore its mainly bruces rebuild job not that he inherited a strong team

What is, and has been the spine of the current squad during Bruce's tenure? 

Chester

Adomah

Jedinak

&

Kodjia

It's mainly Bruce's rebuild job alright, because he's signed a dozen or more players, but where would we be without these inherited players?

Edited by vreitti

Â