Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

15 minutes ago, macandally said:

No, the more I watch us, the more I see Hull, Wigan and the Noses.  Tactically inept, static and reliant on individual flashes of brilliance to scrape results.

If that is what constitutes "winning football" then do enjoy

I don't really enjoy it - I actually think that we should do a Southampton if we go up and make a change in the summer when our options would be better. But for the immediate task of getting us up we're best off holding our noses to the quality of play and grinding out the wins we need to get us back up - because if it doesn't happen this season it could be some time.

8 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

My last years Autumn Holiday resulted in RDM being sacked.

I'm off on holiday tomorrow, so I'll see this thread when I get back.

Hopefully @TrentVilla has moved it to other football

Any chance you are off to Portugal?

If you are relaxing at the pool, and you see Steve Bruce in the deck chair beside you, then big ups to you, your cunning plan worked. ;)

29 minutes ago, AJ said:

Any chance you are off to Portugal?

If you are relaxing at the pool, and you see Steve Bruce in the deck chair beside you, then big ups to you, your cunning plan worked. ;)

no sorry

Portugal last year, this year South of France (Cote Azur)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PatrickCousens said:

I don't really enjoy it - I actually think that we should do a Southampton if we go up and make a change in the summer when our options would be better. But for the immediate task of getting us up we're best off holding our noses to the quality of play and grinding out the wins we need to get us back up - because if it doesn't happen this season it could be some time.

But why do you think "holding our noses" is the best way to go up?   Isn't that an oxymoron?

As I don't think Bruce is going to get sacked any time soon, i will take the 'only results matter' route and pray we continue to improve and build confidence. Doesn't mean i like the way we play or really think Bruce is the right man for the job, but i just can't take another manager coming in and ripping up the team and starting again using the excuse 'this is not his team' as we miss even a play off place again.

Bruce has the right players now and they are fit, there are no excuses.

12 hours ago, VillaCas said:

This is flawed logic and missing the big picture - what's actually important is winning ENOUGH games to gain promotion - some, like you apparently, think Bruce can deliver that. Some, like me, think not

and some like me don't know, but willing to wait and see;)

• Like 1

I do not like Bruce as a manager, never have. However the reality is that as long as we're in with a shout of the play offs (or better) he is staying. I am happy that for now we are playing 4-4-2 but as the game against Forest showed we still have big problems keeping the ball and we are far rom being able to dominate games. 

Edited by MikeMcKenna
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Keyblade said:

He's been in charge for 44 games already. We've had many similar 'promotion form' runs in those 43 games, and it got us nowhere near actual promotion. So I'm not sure why this one's supposed to be different. 

It's not about going on little unbeaten runs here and there, it's about sustaining that form throughout an entire season. And he's not going to do it for 2 reasons:

1: He's already had roughly a full season in charge, accumulating 65 points in the process. That wouldn't even be enough for 9th place. So no, far from promotion form.

2. The type of football he plays means he just can't produce consistent results over a prolonged period of time. You just don't get promoted playing hit and hope football. It's not even hoofball with a purpose a la Allardyce or Pulis. You might luck into a couple of brief runs here and there but it simply won't last. You can't hope your way into promotion I'm afraid. 

My rationale is, I have no confidence that he will get us promoted, given the ample amount of evidence he provided, even though I really thought he was the man to do it at first. So why stick with him?

Sacking a manager when the team is in good form is absurd, whether or not you think he's the right man long term.

I agree with what you're saying, I don't think Steve Bruce is right for us, his football is largely dull and I have my doubts as to whether he'll manage to get us promoted this season, but we're in good form.

(As an aside, using last season as a barometer for the current season is daft.  I think you know that really).

16 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

You raise an interesting point here.

At the end of this week Bruce will have managed 46 league games with us so the equivalent of a full season. If we were to get two wins this week he'd have then taken 71 points over that time. On average over the last few years you are looking at needing 75 points for a play off place and around 86 points to get top 2. If we consider that during Bruces time here we haven't played that well I think this shows two things. One that you don't have to be that good to get top 6 and also given that we all think we can play much better, including the manager, it shows that even a slight improvement would easily be good enough to see us in the play off places and it wouldn't take much to see us top 2.

I think it also shows that a half decent manager would take this squad up in a canter. 

11 hours ago, PatrickCousens said:

I don't really enjoy it - I actually think that we should do a Southampton if we go up and make a change in the summer when our options would be better. 

The bloke puts 10 men behind the ball against Burton Albion, could you imagine the embarrassment of playing in the PL under Bruce? We would come straight back down with a worse points tally than Derby. 

Â