Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

Yes.  But I would also say it's stupid for the head of any organisation (Ratners and Ryanair come to mind) to be disrespectful of the punters.  Maybe fans shouldn't be so sensitive, but they are, especially if they feel bundled together with people who express things very aggressively or hatefully.

Bruce in not in the same position, but his role and profile still require a level of tact and diplomacy that perhaps wasn't required as a centre-half.  Even if he feels hurt.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TRO said:

I the interests of clarity and accuracy.....Steve Bruce has explained his target audience when exclaiming about "Mass Hysteria"

He said he was referring to social Media and not the fans in the ground......He explained the fans in the ground have generally been great to me and the team.

back to work Steve and don't sweat the small stuff, even if others do.

just keep winning.

I gave up being interested in what Steve Bruce says weeks ago.  He is his own biggest fan and talks shite.

He will live or die on the performance of his team, end of.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, peterms said:

People communicate differently online than they do face to face.  That's just what happens.  It's so well-known as to be an uncontroversial observation.

Shows i am from a different generation

16 minutes ago, TRO said:

Shows i am from a different generation

It's really not a generational thing.  It's just how we operate.  It's why for example teleconferencing is difficult - we are used to adjusting what we say and how we say it in response to non-verbal cues, and so face to face communication is far more nuanced.

The idea that saying things differently online than you would face to face somehow shows hypocrisy or cowardice is just plain wrong.  It may also do that of course, but not in itself.  It's a function of the medium.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, bobzy said:

Sacking a manager when the team is in good form is absurd, whether or not you think he's the right man long term.

I agree with what you're saying, I don't think Steve Bruce is right for us, his football is largely dull and I have my doubts as to whether he'll manage to get us promoted this season, but we're in good form.

(As an aside, using last season as a barometer for the current season is daft.  I think you know that really).

It's no more absurd than sticking with a man you have no faith in whatsoever and who has displayed diddly squat ability thus  far to convince me he can  turn this tanker around. Clearly he's not going anywhere anytime soon - and that could mean too little too late for someone else

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Dave J said:

It's no more absurd than sticking with a man you have no faith in whatsoever and who has displayed diddly squat ability thus  far to convince me he can  turn this tanker around. Clearly he's not going anywhere anytime soon - and that could mean too little too late for someone else

Yes.  What is absurd is deciding game by game whether to change a manager, as though you're playing roulette and deciding between red and black.  What an arse an owner would have to be to work like that.

The decision has to be a strategic one, not something based on a whim, the wind direction, the last match, or what someone last said to you.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, peterms said:

It's really not a generational thing.  It's just how we operate.  It's why for example teleconferencing is difficult - we are used to adjusting what we say and how we say it in response to non-verbal cues, and so face to face communication is far more nuanced.

The idea that saying things differently online than you would face to face somehow shows hypocrisy or cowardice is just plain wrong.  It may also do that of course, but not in itself.  It's a function of the medium.

Whilst I think you're right, it's hard to deny TRO is knocking on :P

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sne said:

Bruce spends a lot of time on social media does he? :D

He's come a long way from the guy who when he was at Sunderland admitted he didn't even know how to log on to the computer.

His son is a twitterer as some Villa fans found out last week ;)

6 hours ago, dn1982 said:

You are aware that those in the ground are the same on social media? I'd even say those that go the games see 1st hand the crap he's been serving up. If you went to Reading and watched the game and then listened to Bruce after you'd realise he's appealing to the masses and not the ones who go. Bruce should stop mentioning it. He is underacheiving. If he loses the next 2 he'll have roughly the record of the bloke he replaced so he should be under pressure. We were 10 pts off 6 th when he came and couldn't make it up. We need to be in and around promotion all year and if we aren't he will be under scrutiny. Instead of alienating fans he should be drumming up support. Our crowds are awful because the football is. Let's get in the playoffs and start talking positively about going up. Let's start playing positively to get the buzz back at Villa Park. 

There's "scrutiny", which, if done sensibly, factually and constructively,  is legitimate,

Then there is a constant chorus of how he is a "dinoasur", will never get us promoted, should be sacked immediately if we are to have a hope of surviving. And, worse, there is hoping we will lose matches so he will be sacked. That is all out of order in my view. It has been the dominant voice on Villatalk for months, and I guess other internet sites that I don't look at.

I think Bruce has every right to criticise that sort of nonsense - it would be an odd sort of world where people could hurl abuse at him on social media and he wasn't allowed to comment.

Whenever he criticises the hysteria on social media I nod in agreement.

15 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

There's "scrutiny", which, if done sensibly, factually and constructively,  is legitimate,

Then there is a constant chorus of how he is a "dinoasur", will never get us promoted, should be sacked immediately if we are to have a hope of surviving. And, worse, there is hoping we will lose matches so he will be sacked. That is all out of order in my view. It has been the dominant voice on Villatalk for months, and I guess other internet sites that I don't look at.

I think Bruce has every right to criticise that sort of nonsense - it would be an odd sort of world where people could hurl abuse at him on social media and he wasn't allowed to comment.

Whenever he criticises the hysteria on social media I nod in agreement.

Don't just focus on comments on internet sites.

I believe that no home gate this season has equalled the average of last season.

People are choosing not to attend.  If I were the owner, that would concern me greatly.

• Like 2

I dont see anything on the pitch that changes my opinion on SB

We are still playing poorly and are scoring with either individual moments of brilliance or luck.

For someone to suggest that we are 'in good form' on the pitch (by which i mean in team performance) is severely wide of the mark, and 2 wins with 4 draws does nothing for me to mask how bad we have performed as a unit.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Not once , after any of our victories under Bruce, have I felt like , yeah finally , things seem to be clicking into place .

And considering how long he has now been in charge, it seems to feel like it's not ever going to click ,again  ,I hope I'm wrong .

Quite.

Most managers have their teams in the promotion places within a few weeks of joining a new club.

What the hell is wrong with Bruce?

4 hours ago, peterms said:

That may be an opinion that is not shared by all.

• Like 2

Â