Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

32 minutes ago, bobzy said:

It would be ridiculous to sack a manager after the club is unbeaten in 6 games and having just won back-to-back games.  It would be a Birmingham City-esque move, to be honest.

I don't enjoy us under Steve Bruce and was in favour of him going a few weeks back (I still am to an extent, but the above rings true), but I don't get this "no way in hell" thing at all?  Our current form is promotion form.   Surely that's the most recent indicator of what could be possible?

I think people have gone completely anti-Bruce.

Yep i ageee with this. I criticised bruce when we lsot and drew those 0-0 games. He delivers two victories in a week and people atill find something to be unhappy about.

When he gets crap results rightly so he derserves the flak but if he wins give him the praise too. I mean for example it was bruce who had the balls to give davis a go in first team

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

It's amazing how Leeds can be so much more solid, organised and playing much better football than us despite having only a tiny fraction of our budget, it's all down to quality of management I guess.

Having a settled squad is so underplayed.  We should have that moreso this season, hence the start being terrible, but it's a huge factor.  Most clubs that have a vast turnover of playing staff will struggle.

Simon Grayson did really well with limited resources at Preston, that team is settled as has continued to look good under Neil.  Sunderland are looking poor, though, and that's under the same manager.  Similarly, Leeds have had a relatively "easy" start to the season and will face much more testing games.  They look good, though, for sure.

2 minutes ago, VillaCas said:

This is flawed logic and missing the big picture - what's actually important is winning enough games to gain promotion - some like, you apparently, think Bruce can deliver that. Some, like me, think not

How in the world is villa winning games missing the big picture?

This is the main point!

Those who want Bruce gone presumably want him gone to get someone in to win games. However Bruce is actually winning games at the moment, the very thing we should all want!

what is important is the continuation of this run to get out of the league, nothing else!

2 minutes ago, VillaCas said:

This is flawed logic and missing the big picture - what's actually important is winning enough games to gain promotion - some like, you apparently, think Bruce can deliver that. Some, like me, think not

Fair enough i have no problem with those that wont think bruce wont take us up. None at all.  I think the issue is that despite their reservations they wont ever pafise bruce when he delivers, they will have something to complain about.

And for the record bruce made the right decsion in midweek ro rest the team as we got the 3 points. 

• Like 1

Just now, villarocker said:

I don't think it is too late for Bruce to get sacked. If, by the end of December and having played half a season, we are say around mid table and more than a couple of wins off the play-offs, I could well see Xia swinging the axe.

This i agree with. By xmas we should be in the mix for top 6. If we are not its worth considering a change. But at present bruce does not warrant the sack.

It would be a rowett style sacking in my view if he was sacked tomorrow for example.

Just now, Nigel said:

How in the world is villa winning games missing the big picture?

This is the main point!

Those who want Bruce gone presumably want him gone to get someone in to win games. However Bruce is actually winning games at the moment, the very thing we should all want!

what is important is the continuation of this run to get out of the league, nothing else!

I don't think people have a problem with us winning games. I think that people see the lack of quality in our play, the going defensive when we take the lead and scrambling around trying to stop opponents from scoring and just holding on to one goal wins, and fear that this will not stand up to the tests of the likes of Wolves, Leeds, Cardiff, Boro etc and will result in us dropping too many points to be able to have a chance of promotion. 

That's where I'm at anyway. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Will you be done if you get it wrong and he takes us up? If you did read my post you will see i have my reservations about bruce but i dont believe the no progress has been made section of your post.

We won only once on sky and bruce has won twice in a week live on sky therfore some progress there.

Winning back to back games again progress there. 

Keeping clean sheets again progress there.

Johnstone looks far better this season again progress there.

Yes there are a hell of a few negatives too its nowhere near our best  but i am seeing signs that we are improving.

I think the no.progress part is completely untrue in my view.

See my previous post Dem, I’m done debating over Bruce it’s pointless. I will leave it to others.

Just now, villarocker said:

I don't think people have a problem with us winning games. I think that people see the lack of quality in our play, the going defensive when we take the lead and scrambling around trying to stop opponents from scoring and just holding on to one goal wins, and fear that this will not stand up to the tests of the likes of Wolves, Leeds, Cardiff, Boro etc and will result in us dropping too many points to be able to have a chance of promotion. 

That's where I'm at anyway. 

Yes, I fully understand this, I too would love to see  more pleasing style of football. However points are more valuable atm, however they come. If Bruce starts to drop too many points then it's time to get on his back, not during a good period of form. It's counter productive.

At the moment his methods are producing points no matter what we think may happen in the future.

13 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I'm no big Bruce fan, and I didn't enjoy the game much yesterday.

But if he really is going to try and make us play more expansive football, it's not going to happen over night. If he says it on Friday you can't expect it to magically happen by 3pm Saturday.

(fwiw I don't believe we will start playing expansive football, but it's a nice thought)

I take your point Stevo, but I'll try and explain my frustration with the way Villa are playing under Bruce.

I have four adult sons, and when they were younger we all had season tickets and never missed a home game. We also went to a lot of away games, even staying in hotels for games like Newcastle etc. We even used to go to all the home reserve games, and that was really enjoyable

Then I had a serious accident which restricted my mobility. If I go to a Villa game now, I need one of my son's to come with me (for mobility reasons), and the frustrating thing is that none of my sons are prepared to go and watch the current rubbish that Bruce is churning out match after match. That means that I cannot get to Villa Park at the moment and I miss it.

Of course I want Villa to be promoted, that's right at the top of my list, but (selfishly?) I want Villa to start playing decent watchable football at Villa Park, so that my sons will rediscover their lost passion for Villa. It's the only way I'm going to get back to my spiritual home any time soon!

1 minute ago, villabromsgrove said:

I take your point Stevo, but I'll try and explain my frustration with the way Villa are playing under Bruce.

I have four adult sons, and when they were younger we all had season tickets and never missed a home game. We also went to a lot of away games, even staying in hotels for games like Newcastle etc. We even used to go to all the home reserve games, and that was really enjoyable

Then I had a serious accident which restricted my mobility. If I go to a Villa game now, I need one of my son's to come with me (for mobility reasons), and the frustrating thing is that none of my sons are prepared to go and watch the current rubbish that Bruce is churning out match after match. That means that I cannot get to Villa Park at the moment and I miss it.

Of course I want Villa to be promoted, that's right at the top of my list, but (selfishly?) I want Villa to start playing decent watchable football at Villa Park, so that my sons will rediscover their lost passion for Villa. It's the only way I'm going to get back to my spiritual home any time soon!

No offence, but your sons sound like dicks. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Xela said:

What would you change in the starting line up? The current line up is probably what I would pick at the moment. Maybe drop Whelan, perhaps?

Johnstone 

DeLaet       Terry         Chester        Taylor

Jedinak 

Onamoah          Hourihane 

Snodgrass                                     Adomah 

Kodjia 

For me Kodjia has to be down the middle. He scored for fun when played as the central striker. Whelan needs to be dropped when Jedinak is fit. 

Edited by KHV
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

Sorry to hear about your disability that's terrible, but I think that's more of your sons selfishness than Bruce. You go support the side regardless of style of football and also if you do not like the football you go out of respect to your dad.

8 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

No offence, but your sons sound like dicks. 

That's really harsh Stevo  no need for that

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

A totally unnecessary comment. Out of order!

I should have known better than share personal information.

Sorry, probably a bit strong.

But they won't take their mobility restricted Dad to the football because they're a bit bored of it? Meaning he can't go at all even though he wants to?

That's pretty **** selfish.

Edited by Stevo985

8 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Sorry to hear about your disability that's terrible, but I think that's more of your sons selfishness than Bruce. You go support the side regardless of style of football and also if you do not like the football you go out of respect to your dad.

That's really harsh Stevo  no need for that

You've literally just had a dig at them too, but I was being harsh? 

10 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

A totally unnecessary comment. Out of order!

I should have known better than share personal information.

I think to square this one Stevo needs to share something personal and have rude things said about it. 

• Like 1

Â