Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

16 minutes ago, VillaCas said:

Not sure what point you are making? That was then, this is now! My opinion at the time was that Bruce was the wrong choice and Wagner would have been the right one. Nothing has happened since then to support any other view

My point is the orginnal argument was that Bruce is wrong choice and Wagner would have been better. Bruce had numerous promotions, Wagner had none at that stage. It was a huge risk. We did enough gambles and Bruce was deemed the safer pair of hands with his cv. So I can see why they went fir Bruce ahead of Wagner.

personally I don't think Wagner would have got us promoted last season, I think mid table at best. We were a mess. Bruce has stabled the ship but just made us a shit team to watch with baffling selections with no improvement. It's the right time for him to go because he looks defeated.

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

As they say " every picture tells a story"

That after match Interview spelled it all out for me.....i too think any decision needs to be made quickly to resurrect this seasons ambitions.

I guess there is always a case to say give him 3 more games etc.....but when you see capitulation like that.... its game up.

something is definately awry.

I guess to all the outside pundits it will appear harsh and knee jerk and that is a consideration the management will harbour....but i think we are now just treading water.

I hope the Management show the hard headedness and strength to not give a damn how the outside world see it !

If they fail to act everyone that matters inside and outside the Club will know they are weak.

• Like 1

Just now, Demitri_C said:

My point is the orginnal argument was that Bruce is wrong choice and Wagner would have been better. Bruce had numerous promotions, Wagner had none at that stage. It was a huge risk. We did enough gambles and Bruce was deemed the safer pair of hands with his cv. So I can see why they went fir Bruce ahead of Wagner.

personally I don't think Wagner would have got us promoted last season, I think mid table at best. We were a mess. Bruce has stabled the ship but just made us a shit team to watch with baffling selections with no improvement. It's the right time for him to go because he looks defeated.

Bruce always looked the wrong choice to me but let's leave it there

At least we can agree that it's now time for him to go

• Like 1

Unfortunately Bruce's anti football tactics only work when he is managing a side that doesn't go into every game with a target on their backs. We are expected to win the majority of games we go into in this league and because of that he is attempted to do something that is completely alien to him which is play football.

I would accept staying in the Championship for a few more years provided we had a manager with a clear plan that we could all see. Bruce doesn't have one, he was a short term manager with a short term goal which is isn't getting close to achieving. 

He isn't going to change and I think we all know that so lets just make the change now, accept it hasn't worked and actually appoint a manager with a long term vision, one that you'd want to take you into the Premier League and manage us there.

• Like 2

When you lose the support of both @TROand @markavfc40, you just know the writing is on the wall.

I won't comment further on the shortcomings of Bruce, because it's certainly been done to the death.

We need to hire the Fulham manager. Feels to me like the next Wagner.

• Like 1

I watched an interview with the Fulham manager the other day and it was being said that he has little say in who they sign and is expected to just get on with what players the men behind the scenes provide for him. He could be a good candidate to take us over based on that as we need someone who can get the best out of our lot ASAP and he's used to working with other people's signings

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bunnski said:

I watched an interview with the Fulham manager the other day and it was being said that he has little say in who they sign and is expected to just get on with what players the men behind the scenes provide for him. He could be a good candidate to take us over based on that as we need someone who can get the best out of our lot ASAP and he's used to working with other people's signings

A “head coach” is what they call them I think these days. Watford go through plenty of them. 

1 hour ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

A lazy and very quick search of Google seems to say he didn't publicly say anything but the Huddersfield chairman spoke for him.

If that's where our interest ended then it's massively pathetic. "FIGHT LIKE LIONS" but if the chairman of a much, much smaller club tells you that you can't have their manager then immediately drop all interest and run away like pussycats.  

So the headline "Wagner Rules Himself out of Aston Villa job"  was a made up headline. 

I am sure if the chairman had said Wagner was not interested when in fact he was he would be kicking off big time and would in fact have been here in a flash. 

In this instance the Huddersfield Chairman was his spokesman. 

Every game he remains in charge is just a waste of time with the exception that we have longer to find the right replacement.

He should have been replaced at the end of last season, but here we are.

And for the love of McGrath get rid of Calderwood asap.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Eastie said:

Calderwood is part of the problem too - hopefully there will be a man lined up to come in the same day - it may seem harsh but other clubs have done it .

id hope the powers that be have someone in mind and that it's not JT or moyes.

I don't think it's harsh at all. Any well run business should have a plan in place to replace key senior members of staff. In fact I'd say if they haven't always got some sort of short list going then there's grounds for claiming corporate neglect. Even if Bruce was doing a good job he could step under a bus tomorrow. You've got to have a plan for all contingencies. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Phumfeinz said:

The calls to give him at least 10 games are ridiculous. Have those people forgotten what happened last season already?

The season will arguably be over if he is given 10 games. 

20 minutes ago, sidcow said:

So the headline "Wagner Rules Himself out of Aston Villa job"  was a made up headline. 

I am sure if the chairman had said Wagner was not interested when in fact he was he would be kicking off big time and would in fact have been here in a flash. 

In this instance the Huddersfield Chairman was his spokesman. 

Well it's not like the papers to misreport stuff now is it!? Show me direct quotes from Wagner himself where HE ruled HIMSELF out of the job. Maybe they exist, but all I've seen is the Huddersfield chairman speak for him.

I don't doubt that Wagner might have told him that he wouldn't go elsewhere but this was probably in the absence of any club making a proper attempt to steal him away. People in football say they're going to be loyal to a club all the time, only to then leave when a bigger clubs comes knocking. 

If we'd have really tried to force the issue - I mean really, really tried - do you genuinely think Wagner would've turned us down. 

Edited by Morley_crosses_to_Withe
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

We were out fought, out thought, out played by players perceived to be inferior to ours on paper.....the performance was totally unacceptable.

How often could you say that about Villa under Bruce Tro? This was exactly the point why myself and other posters were debating with you.

The problems with Bruce at Villa ran deeper than just bringing in the likes of Whelan to allow Landsbury and Hourihane to play. Villa had the same problems when Jedinak was in the team even though results improved but the performances didn't.

That performance yesterday was an accident waiting to happen especially up against a wryly old dog in Warnock who knew how to exploit Bruce's tactical naivety. Trying to hoof it into channels against a Warnock side is tantamount to committing football suicide.

Unfortunately Villa won't magically start to play better football under Bruce no matter what system he changes it to. The football will continue to be turgid because on his own admittance he simply doesn't do tactics. He hasn't the capability to coach pass and move football and neither has his current number two. It will be more of the same until he is sacked and hopefully that will be after the game against Reading.

• Like 3

Â