Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

When Steve Bruce first came to the club, he said that he'd been waiting for an opportunity like this for 20 years. If he was any good he wouldn't have had to wait that long. 

Perhaps we now have to take a calculated gamble. Any appointment is a risk, as we are now witnessing with Steve "Safe Pair Of Hands" Bruce. The club isn't too big for the right manager, a guy with the right type of arrogance to know he can do the job. Once someone else has taken the risk and found the next Jose or Pepe their next move is to a top six PL club. The board really now have to show they have the right people advising them and find that gem. I know we're all desperate to get promoted asap, but I for one would give time to a manager who was growing with us. It's no good saying we want to develope the Aston Villa way and then appoint someone like Big Sam, because then all we'll be getting is the Big Sam way. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

When Steve Bruce first came to the club, he said that he'd been waiting for an opportunity like this for 20 years. If he was any good he wouldn't have had to wait that long. 

Perhaps we now have to take a calculated gamble. Any appointment is a risk, as we are now witnessing with Steve "Safe Pair Of Hands" Bruce. The club isn't too big for the right manager, a guy with the right type of arrogance to know he can do the job. Once someone else has taken the risk and found the next Jose or Pepe their next move is to a top six PL club. The board really now have to show they have the right people advising them and find that gem. I know we're all desperate to get promoted asap, but I for one would give time to a manager who was growing with us. It's no good saying we want to develope the Aston Villa way and then appoint someone like Big Sam, because then all we'll be getting is the Big Sam way. 

Sorry that was probably in the wrong topic. 

3 hours ago, sidcow said:

Thing is Bruce is for me the only manager since O'Neil who on paper seemed the right appointment. He is the last of a very long list of extremely poor management appointments. 

Therefore I think this is the first time we have unlucky with a management appointment. The rest were clear as the nose on your face just wrong. 

You should not fail to change the manager because the rest have been rubbish, you should change the manager because he's not working and get the next one right. 

Problem is that when you read the alternatives on the other thread, how many of them would you said are right on paper. Reading them again I would say none hence why I'm sticking with Bruce. If there was a standout candidate then yes but there doesn't seem to be.  

Bruce was right a year ago on paper despite my misgivings, it's hasn't been great I admit and the Cardiff game was embarrassing but starting again with any on that list just looks crazy.  Bruce has been promoted many times, he's an experienced manager and without a decent alternative I'd prefer to give it a little longer.  I know I'm different in opinion to most but I'm sick of upheaval and constant change and seeing no difference.  

Clubs that are successful, outside the money clubs, are clubs that are settled. Not a reason on its own to keep Bruce, but the alternatives to him don't inspire me.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Clubs that are successful, outside the money clubs, are clubs that are settled.

Clubs that are successful are generally clubs with good managers. It doesn't matter how settled your club is, if you have a bad manager you're going nowhere regardless of how much money you spend, Villa being the prime example of this

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Clubs that are successful are generally clubs with good managers. It doesn't matter how settled your club is, if you have a bad manager you're going nowhere regardless of how much money you spend, Villa being the prime example of this

Ok taking only part of my words! Ok let me put it this way, aside from the money clubs, clubs that are successful are not clubs that change managers and have upheaval every year.  

You also can't say that Bruce is a bad manager, he has a resume that proves that he's consistently a good manager. He's having a bad time at Villa on and off but to be fair when was the last time we had a good manager.

So if he's not a bad manager but having a bad time then unless the alternative is better, which the alternative options don't look great, then maybe give him a bit more time because he has proven consistently in the past he knows how to get teams promoted.

Let's see what he does over the next few games and how the team reacts

I was a big advocate of Bruce and was prepared to give him until Xmas and then assess where are under his management. Above all I wanted a period of stability after so many managerial changes since O'Neill walked out. 

However yesterday was the final straw for me. In my 40 odd years of watching Villa I've seen too many poor performances to mention however yesterday ranks amongst the worst. Almost reminiscent of the McNeill era. The way we capitulated against a very ordinary Cardiff team was embarrassing. It's the first time I can remember my kids asking to leave before the final whistle. 

Sadly we've regressed since Christmas despite Bruce having 2 transfer windows and a decent amount of money to shape his own team. There's no plan B, no urgency in our play and very little desire either. 

Like many I'll be there on Tuesday hoping for a win but the truth is once we concede it's game over. 

My choice to replace him would be Dyche. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I've tried to defend him and give him a chance but I just can't understand what happened yesterday. 

My biggest worry is I don't even think the problem is Bruce. There is something still rotten at the club.

This for me is spot on. Bruce does have his limitations but the players and coaching staff are too easily able to hide behind him. We need someone else to step up on the pitch and stop the weak displays, clearly not Terry after yesterday!

16 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

so angry

well to be fair, you have been saying it for some time.

I honestly never thought it would come to this, i have to concede.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, nick76 said:

Problem is that when you read the alternatives on the other thread, how many of them would you said are right on paper. Reading them again I would say none hence why I'm sticking with Bruce. If there was a standout candidate then yes but there doesn't seem to be.  

Bruce was right a year ago on paper despite my misgivings, it's hasn't been great I admit and the Cardiff game was embarrassing but starting again with any on that list just looks crazy.  Bruce has been promoted many times, he's an experienced manager and without a decent alternative I'd prefer to give it a little longer.  I know I'm different in opinion to most but I'm sick of upheaval and constant change and seeing no difference.  

Clubs that are successful, outside the money clubs, are clubs that are settled. Not a reason on its own to keep Bruce, but the alternatives to him don't inspire me.

I totally agree with this. I appreciate the list on the other thread isn't the be all and end all, but it gives a good indication of the shortage of candidates. 

I'm angry at Bruce and dissapointed at what I've seen in the past 1 + 1/2 games, but I can't say I'd be clamouring to replace him with any of that lot. 

That said, It will be a minor miracle if he managed to completely turn it around from here. We might pick up some results, but his decisions and the performances have left me feeling that he can't change it long term. I said at the start of the summer that I was confident he knew what was wrong and I still believe that, but I think maybe the solution goes too far against his nature. 

I'm worried he can't turn it around, but equally worried at what might follow him. 

My new season buzz has been killed already. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

VillaCas for CEO - called Bruce as the wrong appointment from day one. 

I didn't and thought he was a good appointment so it shows what I know :( 

yes he did and so did others too.

but lets not get too sure about ourselves just yet.....and this is genuinely not a ploy to wriggle, because I made my stance quite plain in supporting him....I still have some doubts about the whole thing.

fast forward

next manager comes in, we have had the Spanish inquest and all is going to be put right.....but here comes the new manager, just like the old manager and the one before him and the one before him.

We are having the same debates, about the same things just different man in charge

I am merely saying, we change so many faces, but nothing seems to change on the pitch.....I am beginning to think, if Messi or Ronaldo came in nothing would change.

I hear all the calls for Steve Bruce to go.....and on the face of yesterday I would be a fool to argue......but I also want to hear from the board room too of whats gone wrong and why?

We can't keep having just one man at the football club, in the firing line and when they inevitably go, everyone else hiding behind their desks, in stony silence.....after 7-10 years of this we want some transparency and honesty.

However, he is still in the job.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 3

Can't believe we find ourself here again. Was Bruce the right man? I thought so, but it's just not really worked out. How long do we give him? I'd give him the next four games and if no better off then he should probably go. My only concern is who do we bring in? What's the point in getting rid of Bruce if we can't bring in a suitable replacement. If we have no idea of who to bring in then stick with Bruce. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

I totally agree with this. I appreciate the list on the other thread isn't the be all and end all, but it gives a good indication of the shortage of candidates. 

I'm angry at Bruce and dissapointed at what I've seen in the past 1 + 1/2 games, but I can't say I'd be clamouring to replace him with any of that lot. 

That said, It will be a minor miracle if he managed to completely turn it around from here. We might pick up some results, but his decisions and the performances have left me feeling that he can't change it long term. I said at the start of the summer that I was confident he knew what was wrong and I still believe that, but I think maybe the solution goes too far against his nature. 

I'm worried he can't turn it around, but equally worried at what might follow him. 

My new season buzz has been killed already. 

totally agree with this.

2 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Can't believe we find ourself here again. Was Bruce the right man? I thought so, but it's just not really worked out. How long do we give him? I'd give him the next four games and if no better off then he should probably go. My only concern is who do we bring in? What's the point in getting rid of Bruce if we can't bring in a suitable replacement. If we have no idea of who to bring in then stick with Bruce. 

There are folk at B6 who are far better informed as to what is REALLY going on than us.....we can only go on a small window of information to form our opinions.

If the hierarchy don't really know who to bring in with any kind of Nous.....then i would suggest there are bigger problems at B6 than just Steve Bruce.

54 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I've tried to defend him and give him a chance but I just can't understand what happened yesterday. 

My biggest worry is I don't even think the problem is Bruce. There is something still rotten at the club.

I don't get this view that the club is an entity that can be rotten. Way too airy-fairy for me.

New owner, enthusiastic and willing to spend; new players of a very good standard for the league; huge supporter base.

Keep it simple. It is the manager and at least some of his coaching staff. It is possibly Wyness and Round. It is that simple.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

Spot on. There is a reason he's been at the likes of Hull and Wigan. 

I don't think we can look at an abitary amount of games now either. If Tuesday ends up being another s**tshow like yesterday, I'd probably say we need to pull the plug there and then, we just can't risk another toxic season. 

If he gets a result, then it's game by game. If I was the Doc, I'd actually be looking at performances more than individual results over the next few games. Any repeat of yesterday and he should get the bullet. 

• Like 1

After the embarrassment of yesterday's game, if he can't get a response and a sustained response over the next 10-15 games then he needs to go. I believe/believed in him, but I am very worried he is going to be the next in line of failed managers. 

Teams and players can have bad runs, but a manager is the one who has to galvanize everyone and get everything back on track. If he can't, and we lose again Tuesday, then he should be gone by the weekend. I, like most, haven't got a clue who I think can or would want to replace him. With the restriction on spending, what manager will want to come in and work with the players we have? Dean Smith may be!

The tactics weren't the best yesterday, but to his defense, some of the players on show yesterday put in a drunken player performance. The players are better than how some played yesterday, so many of them need to answer a few questions also.

• Like 1

Â