PieFacE

How quickly the lead doubled I think added to the shock/surprise element.

I suppose it might be argued that if Spurs had beaten Arsenal on Sunday instead it might not be reported in such a surprised manner. Who knows.

I think though, the “OMG”ness of any reporting is more about Arsenal losing than it is about Villa winning. It’s kinda (potentially) thrown a spanner in the works of a grandstanding title battle for them to cover.

2 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

How quickly the lead doubled I think added to the shock/surprise element.

I suppose it might be argued that if Spurs had beaten Arsenal on Sunday instead it might not be reported in such a surprised manner. Who knows.

I think though, the “OMG”ness of any reporting is more about Arsenal losing than it is about Villa winning. It’s kinda (potentially) thrown a spanner in the works of a grandstanding title battle for them to cover.

Probably not to outsiders looking in but to me I think of the Emirates and arsenal as being the least shock of all the "big" clubs, it's not OT or ettihad or even anfield 

From mellberg getting the first goal there in a draw, gabby scoring there, bent getting us a win there, the luna goal, Grealish bullying them, beating arsenal at the Emirates happens 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Probably not to outsiders looking in but to me I think of the Emirates and arsenal as being the least shock of all the "big" clubs, it's not OT or ettihad or even anfield 

From mellberg getting the first goal there in a draw, gabby scoring there, bent getting us a win there, the luna goal, Grealish bullying them, beating arsenal at the Emirates happens 

Oh yeah I’m looking at the fixture/result without my villa specs on and looking at it through a neutral point of view.

16 hours ago, omariqy said:

Torn. Want Arsenal to win to help us out but also want our/Emery’s win against them to completely unravel their season

Hold that, they've got Spurs soon.

13 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

We must be one of the more successful sides there with 5 wins. Think City/Chelsea might be the only ones with more

i think we're tied with chelsea on 5 now

12 hours ago, LondonLax said:

If you read the pre match thread most of our own fans must have considered it a shock win. 

Yeah?  read my comments 😏

Where's all this delusional crap from them coming from that they battered us first half?!

They were very good and had a good chance, but I felt we were Very good that first half. Professional performance, like a boxer jabbing and working them out, then went for the kill second half. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, stewiek2 said:

Where's all this delusional crap from them coming from that they battered us first half?!

They were very good and had a good chance, but I felt we were Very good that first half. Professional performance, like a boxer jabbing and working them out, then went for the kill second half. 

I mean, I wouldn't say they "battered us" but I thought it was a matter of time before they score. They were good, even if we defended well.

• Like 2

Is there anything worse than those "fan" channels? Awful stuff. I wonder how far humanity has sunk when people are actually watching that tripe. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Is there anything worse than those "fan" channels? Awful stuff. I wonder how far humanity has sunk when people are actually watching that tripe. 

It's a really weird thing. The whole "watchalong" concept is utterly baffling to me. 

Probably something for the "things you don't get" thread. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

It's a really weird thing. The whole "watchalong" concept is utterly baffling to me. 

It makes more sense for those matches which aren't being televised. You can't watch the match by legitimate means, so the watchalong is the next best thing.

22 minutes ago, ender4 said:

It makes more sense for those matches which aren't being televised. You can't watch the match by legitimate means, so the watchalong is the next best thing.

The thing I don’t get is the presumably london-based guys who are commentating on the match from the gaming chair in the flat. You’re that much of a fan that we should listen to your opinion but you only ever see them on telly. A truly baffling recent development. 

4 hours ago, stewiek2 said:

Arteta said they could have scored 3, 4 or 5. Delusion runs from the very top. 

That being said, I hope they win tonight!

4 hours ago, stewiek2 said:

Odegaard was running things and causing us problems in the first half. At times they looked very strong against us. But to say they battered us is an exaggeration. Martinez made an incredible save, and we hit the crossbar/post.

2 hours ago, villa89 said:

1 hour ago, PieFacE said:

41 minutes ago, choffer said:

The thing I don’t get is the presumably london-based guys who are commentating on the match from the gaming chair in the flat. You’re that much of a fan that we should listen to your opinion but you only ever see them on telly. A truly baffling recent development. 

Really it’s no different to Soccer Saturday or Final Score. They’re watching matches and giving their opinions on something we the viewer aren’t seeing. Just tailored to one club (typically).

Now, you may think that they’re a nonsense too. That’s completely fine. But they’ve existed as a concept for longer. 

On the bold @choffer I personally wouldn’t say a supporter who only watches on tv or stream is in a poorer position to give their opinion on the game. You could perhaps critique their dedication in supporting their club on match day, but if they’re watching the game by any means then by my reckoning they have consumed the knowledge to give their opinion on the action as much credence as someone in the stadium. Whereabouts would someone have to live in order to be able to watch on a stream and give their opinion without criticism for not attending? Somewhere outside the M25? 

I should add that none of the above means I enjoy this form of entertainment, but at the same time, I wouldn’t include someone watching this as an indication of how far humanity has sunk. If this was as bad as it got, the world would be a much better place.

• Like 2

Â