Jonathan Kodjia

dont_do_it_doug.

15 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

I am wary of some of us getting ahead of ourselves here as Saturday could have been the exception to the recent rule and a flash in the pan as far as Gabby is concerned although to be fair he has made a number of positive contributions from the bench most notably the two recent games against Cardiff.

Personally I think he looks fit now and at this level with most defenders half a yard slower both in physical speed and speed of thought compared to the Premier League I see no reason why he can't continue to put in the level of performance he did Saturday.

As @dont_do_it_doug. said he could well be a very good foil for Kodjia as Gabby does attract attention and draw defenders to him which should allow Kodjia more space that he often has to go out wide, or come deep, to try to find.

Some will never like Gabby due to past indiscretions and I possibly would never have given him another chance but we are where we are and in fairness to him he has grabbed that chance with both hands, got himself into shape and over time overtaken both Gestede and McCormack on merit I'd suggest both on what Bruce saw in training and what he has contributed on the pitch. As you said JV if Gabby can turn the clock back a few years then that Gabby alongside Kodjia with the players we now have pulling the strings in midfield then at this level that makes for an exciting prospect. 

Then again

Teams could be watching Kodjia more, leaving Gaby open so he can carry in his 1/40 goals/games ratio

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, roonst83 said:

He frustrates me more than any other player we have. He prances around far too much, holds onto the ball too much and isn't interested in the play unless it's over the top. 

For real.  There was one situation in the first half when he pressed their keeper, who cleared, the ball spent time in the middle of the pitch and then we got the ball back.  Kodjia was walking back from the keeper, just miles offside so we had no out ball.

Our entire team looked tired or just not up for it tonight.

Why is he coming back so deep to defend all the time.

No pressure on the brentford back four whatsoever tonight they were just allowed to sit on the half way line and dictate things from there.

Your playing as an out and out striker and we now have a midfield to supply you get up front push against the two centre backs and stay there ffs

FRUSTRATING

He's not very good, Hogan, if he does sign, will be a lot better. He really did skip football 101, very good athlete but has such a poor understanding of the game in terms of positioning and knowing how to lead the line. I'm astonished at how much we paid for him and his goal scoring record isn't even that amazing, it's like one every 2.5 games, pretty good, but not £15m good. 

Just now, Dr_Pangloss said:

He's not very good, Hogan, if he does sign, will be a lot better. He really did skip football 101, very good athlete but has such a poor understanding of the game in terms of positioning and knowing how to lead the line. I'm astonished at how much we paid for him and his goal scoring record isn't even that amazing, it's like one every 2.5 games, pretty good, but not £15m good. 

Hogan won't be much better

He will just watch the ball sailing over his head for 90 minutes and expected to play like a target man under this dinosaur

3 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

Hogan won't be much better

He will just watch the ball sailing over his head for 90 minutes and expected to play like a target man under this dinosaur

I personally think he's a better finisher and will be more physical - Kodjia is surprisingly tepid and lacks aggression. 

To be fair to him the service is shocking. There a few times adomah could have put a cross in first time with Kodjia in space but he took extra touches

He missed his once chance. 

I'd like to see him as a proper front two with Hogan. 

• Like 1

Â