Jonathan Kodjia

dont_do_it_doug.

This is the hindsight thread. I'd also not have signed Hogan, RMC, appointed RDM, taken Steven Ireland in exchange for Milner, replaced Benteke with Gestede, given Bent such a long contract, signed Given on a 5 year contract...etc. etc. in the long list of stupid mistakes made by the club. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheAuthority said:

Honestly, I would have. I felt at the time that he is a talented yet limited player. Many fans on VT can see that he never releases the ball at the right time.  Sure, sometimes he scores a great goal, but more often than not he loses possession. 

I think 15+ million at the end of his 1st season for us could have been used on a few quality additions.

If we had sold him at the end of the 1st season and spent the money on a couple of players, we would now be in a worse position than we currently are with a number of contracts on our hands instead of just one.

If we can get Kodjia firing again next season then it is one position we don't need to fill. Grealish in this form playing behind him could be special.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Please don't sell Kodjia. Just don't. His first season for us he almost single handedly brought us into the playoffs but unfortunately got hurt. I really think we have a chance to go up even with all this going on with Kodjia in the team. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fowlersrs said:

My only wish is that he could learn to play as a front 2. If he added vision and passing to his game he would be devastating. 

If he just added passing it would be enough. Its probably a reason no club higher up has taken a punt on him

His passing was fine today, didn't try too much and even set up the third goal, looks like we have the real Jimmy Danger back :)

• Like 3

16 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

81 minutes under his belt. We got exactly what we want from Kodjia this season, a bit of everything. Hold up play, drawing players towards him.,skills, goals,

Trouble is, he'll probably be playing elsewhere!

16 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

Playing for a move away

I think he's had enough of this circus and who can blame him

What on earth gave you that impression? 

• Like 1

Noticed a few comments in the Telford match thread that he didn't link up well with Davis and it was like playing 2 individuals rather than a partnership. 

Well that is what you get with Kodjia I am afraid. 

He will score goals but will never ever pass even if someone is in a better position. 

If he stays it will be just like his first season here with bickering between fans about if he is brilliant because of his goals or liability for the team overall because of selfishness. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Noticed a few comments in the Telford match thread that he didn't link up well with Davis and it was like playing 2 individuals rather than a partnership. 

Well that is what you get with Kodjia I am afraid. 

He will score goals but will never ever pass even if someone is in a better position. 

If he stays it will be just like his first season here with bickering between fans about if he is brilliant because of his goals or liability for the team overall because of selfishness. 

Did you even watch the match? He passed it more than ever before, played some lovely balls to people in space. Set up Hourihane for the 3rd goal with a nice lay off as well.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Junxs said:

Did you even watch the match? He passed it more than ever before, played some lovely balls to people in space. Set up Hourihane for the 3rd goal with a nice lay off as well.

I watched both matches, but if you re-read my OP I was going off comments people had written in The Match thread.

I did recall him failing to pass to Davis a couple of times when he was in good positions. 

59 minutes ago, Junxs said:

I was one that commented so. There were 3 occasions in the 1st half where he could have played in a pass to an overlap run and chose not to to see if he could fashion a chance himself, which he didn’t. He will only ever pass if he can’t get a shot away himself. By doing so he misses countless opportunities to create very good chances for other members of the team. In my opinion this is why he will be with us for the next season as he’s not clever enough, football wise to make it at the next level.

Â